Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > intermittent wireless connection

intermittent wireless connection

cs_hart@yahoo.com

In the last couple of days I've had problems with the wireless
conection to my Linksys router.The list of available networks normally
shows several (the neighbors), and now it sometimes shows one or none.
Also when I am connected the speed is slow. I talked with a neighbor
who has the same problem. I'm suspecting some type of RF interference.
How do I go about determining whether this is the case and resolving
this problem?
thanks... charlie

John Wunderlich

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> In the last couple of days I've had problems with the wireless
> conection to my Linksys router.The list of available networks
> normally shows several (the neighbors), and now it sometimes shows
> one or none. Also when I am connected the speed is slow. I talked
> with a neighbor who has the same problem. I'm suspecting some type
> of RF interference. How do I go about determining whether this is
> the case and resolving this problem?

It's possible that you do have interference. Wireless-G routers share
the same frequencies with 2 GHz cordless phones.
Try connecting to the Linksys Router configuration page and change the
channel used by the router. Preferred channels are 1, 6, and 11. The
default is usually 6. Try changing it to 1 or 11 and see if that
channel has less interference.

Good Luck,
John

cs_hart@yahoo.com

Thanks - I tried that with no success. Any other options?
Can I use some sort of shield to try to determine the direction of the
signal, maybe a baking pan or some heavy metal object?
Can the FCC help with this?