Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > New Gateway laptop with Broadcom network adapter will not connect

Reply
Thread Tools

New Gateway laptop with Broadcom network adapter will not connect

 
 
Peter Welk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006
I just purchased a Gateway laptop with a Broadcom adapter driver
version 4.10.40.0. My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
connect to this network. There might be interference between this
computer and the network access point, or the network is refusing
access to this compter." . I have removed all security to no avail. I
have tried connecting through the broadcom utility with WZC disabled
and then I also tried disabling the Broadcom wireless network utility
and used WIndows XP to manage my network connections. Tried unstalling
the Broadcom adapter and reinstalling. Still no result. Have at least 3
other laptops and one PDA that connect to this router seamlessly.
Gateway tech support says it is not their problem. Running Windows xp
media center. Does anyone know where I can begin?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Hettel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2006
Well how far away is the laptop from the router?

It's possible that you've enabled a MAC list on the wireless router, and the
Dell is not listed.

Have you restarted the wireless router after removing the security?

--
David Hettel

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
no rights.



"Peter Welk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I just purchased a Gateway laptop with a Broadcom adapter driver
> version 4.10.40.0. My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
> networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
> connect to this network. There might be interference between this
> computer and the network access point, or the network is refusing
> access to this compter." . I have removed all security to no avail. I
> have tried connecting through the broadcom utility with WZC disabled
> and then I also tried disabling the Broadcom wireless network utility
> and used WIndows XP to manage my network connections. Tried unstalling
> the Broadcom adapter and reinstalling. Still no result. Have at least 3
> other laptops and one PDA that connect to this router seamlessly.
> Gateway tech support says it is not their problem. Running Windows xp
> media center. Does anyone know where I can begin?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Welk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007
David,
Thanks for your reply. The gateway is about 2 feet from the router. I
have reset the router several times. The MAC filter has always been
disable. In all my attempts my other laptops connect ie. Dell and
Averatec. Gateway sees the wireless but will not connect. Also tried
fiddling with the settings of the Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Properties under the Advance tab. No luck. Any other ideas?
Thanks...Peter

On Dec 31 2006, 1:46 am, "David Hettel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well how far away is the laptop from the router?
>
> It's possible that you've enabled a MAC list on the wireless router, and the
> Dell is not listed.
>
> Have you restarted the wireless router after removing the security?
>
> --
> David Hettel
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
> E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
> no rights.
>
> "Peter Welk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
>
>
> >I just purchased a Gateway laptop with a Broadcom adapter driver
> > version 4.10.40.0. My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
> > networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
> > connect to this network. There might be interference between this
> > computer and the network access point, or the network is refusing
> > access to this compter." . I have removed all security to no avail. I
> > have tried connecting through the broadcom utility with WZC disabled
> > and then I also tried disabling the Broadcom wireless network utility
> > and used WIndows XP to manage my network connections. Tried unstalling
> > the Broadcom adapter and reinstalling. Still no result. Have at least 3
> > other laptops and one PDA that connect to this router seamlessly.
> > Gateway tech support says it is not their problem. Running Windows xp
> > media center. Does anyone know where I can begin?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -


 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007
is this a router with "Turbo" settings and are those settings turned
on? if yes, try turning this off.

On 30 Dec 2006 15:00:09 -0800, "Peter Welk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
>networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
>connect to this network.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Welk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2007
Barb,
Thanks for the reply. Hours of trouble shooting this I did a firmware
upgrade on the USR router and the gateway laptop connected immediately.
I am still unclear what the issues are. I have 4 other laptops which
connected to this router with no problem. Anyway, I am up and running.

thanks...Peter


Barb Bowman wrote:
> is this a router with "Turbo" settings and are those settings turned
> on? if yes, try turning this off.
>
> On 30 Dec 2006 15:00:09 -0800, "Peter Welk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
> >networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
> >connect to this network.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?SyBEb2xhbg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007


"Peter Welk" wrote:

> I just purchased a Gateway laptop with a Broadcom adapter driver
> version 4.10.40.0. My router is a USR8054. I can see all wireless
> networks but when I try to connect I get this error "Windows could not
> connect to this network. There might be interference between this
> computer and the network access point, or the network is refusing
> access to this compter." . I have removed all security to no avail. I
> have tried connecting through the broadcom utility with WZC disabled
> and then I also tried disabling the Broadcom wireless network utility
> and used WIndows XP to manage my network connections. Tried unstalling
> the Broadcom adapter and reinstalling. Still no result. Have at least 3
> other laptops and one PDA that connect to this router seamlessly.
> Gateway tech support says it is not their problem. Running Windows xp
> media center. Does anyone know where I can begin?
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter Andy Wireless Networking 2 03-21-2008 04:00 PM
Why won't my new HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLan not recog jackhughes Wireless Networking 3 01-02-2008 02:49 PM
Broadcom's 802.11g Wireless Adapter & Acer Travelmate Notebook Com =?Utf-8?B?QW5keUc=?= Wireless Networking 0 03-16-2007 10:00 PM
problems with wireless network adapter (Broadcom) =?Utf-8?B?ZWV6ZW5vag==?= Wireless Networking 4 02-09-2007 09:31 PM
Re: hp laptop 'zx5280us' and broadcom 54 g wireless not working with XP pro alvin.lecount Wireless Networking 0 08-20-2004 12:24 AM



Advertisments