Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Remote connection

Remote connection

=?Utf-8?B?cmVtb3RlIGxvZ2lu?=

Hi all, I would like some hints and or point to documents to do the following:

I have a WEP protected wireless network in home. I am adding two more
delstops to this network. My question: How or what can I do to enable one or
two permitted people to remotely log in to my network to access one
particular desktop to do some course study material? Is it possible? These
people may be sitting 20 mile away...is there a better way?

Sooner Al [MVP]

"remote login" <remote http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I would like some hints and or point to documents to do the
> following:
>
> I have a WEP protected wireless network in home. I am adding two more
> delstops to this network. My question: How or what can I do to enable one
> or
> two permitted people to remotely log in to my network to access one
> particular desktop to do some course study material? Is it possible?
> These
> people may be sitting 20 mile away...is there a better way?

If the PC you want to remotely access/control is running XP Pro/MCE you can
use Remote Desktop (RDP). Make sure you use a *STRONG* password. You need to
forward TCP Port 3389 through your router/firewall...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...endations.html

If the PC you want to remotely access/control is running XP Home or W2K or
an earlier version of Windows look at using VNC. I recommend UltraVNC with
its encryption plug-in and XP/W2K video driver. You need to forward TCP Port
5900 through your router/firewall...

http://www.uvnc.com/index.html

Note the PC you want to remotely access/control should be using a static LAN
IP address on your network...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

You call using the public IP of your router/firewall. If you get a DHCP
assigned IP from your ISP look at using a free service like No-IP.com or
Dyndns that maps a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) to your ISP assigned
dynamic address.

http://www.no-ip.com
http://www.dyndns.com

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

This page describe a method to select specific computers through the
Internet.
It uses Ultra as an example, but the same principle can apply to any
application that allows to assign the communication port.
http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...