Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: how to connect PC with laptop through DI-524 wireless router

Re: how to connect PC with laptop through DI-524 wireless router

Gordon

"SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a PC (Windows XP home edition), a cable Modem (Motorola Surfboard),
> DI-524 wirelss router (Revision D - with no USB port) and an Acer laptop.
> bought the router and the laptop a month ago. Through trial and error, I
> was
> able to get the wireless network working - even sharing the printer and
> files
> - for a while.
>
> Then my subscription with Norton antivirus, personal firewall expired. I
> uninstalled the Norton software and installed CA Internet Suite 2007.
> Again
> through trial and error, I am able to connect the hardware and to have
> both
> the PC and the laptop gain accesses to the Internet - PC through the
> modem,
> router and laptop through the wireless router.)
>
> Problem: I can not share the printer. Nor can I share any files on PC
> with
> laptop. "Network Connections" on PC only show "local area connection."
> "My
> network places" show the folders/files I wanted to share and (sometimes) a
> D-link icon. I can't locate the laptop on PC, or vice versa. Both PC and
> laptop have the same workgroup name but different computer name. Both are
> DHCP clients shown on D-link web configuration.
>
> Thank you for your help!

My first reaction is that you need to set the firewall on each machine to
allow the IP ranges of your network. On one of the machines, go to a command
prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes). That will tell you
the current IP address of the machine. (192.168.0.3 say). Then, set each
firewall to allow the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255. Restart the network
connection on each and see if that helps. If that still doesn't work, try
issuing a "ping" command for each machine. If that works, then run the New
Network Wizard on each machine, allowing Printer and File Sharing.

HTH

Gordon

"SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, Gordon:
>
> Thanks for the reply. How do I "set each firewall to allow the range
> 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255.", please?

You need to go into the Firewall settings. "Help" should help you....

=?Utf-8?B?U1NX?=

Hello, Gordon:

Thanks for the tip. I attempted but could not figure out how to "set each
firewall to allow the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255." I did change the
firewall Safe Zone and Restricted Zone protection levels from High to Medium
for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can share
folders/printers for both PC and laptop.

Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to unnecessarily
higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)

Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the PC,
but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the WEP
encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running Windows
XP.)

Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!

--
Sincerely,

SSW

"Gordon" wrote:

> "SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello, Gordon:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. How do I "set each firewall to allow the range
> > 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255.", please?

> You need to go into the Firewall settings. "Help" should help you....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Well the answer is a slight may be.

As far as Internet security, it does not matter. I.e. Internet security
would be the same.

If you had only wired computers, it would not change the security status
either.

However since you have Wireless. If some one can break your encryption, and
leech onto your Wireless, it might be easier to access your hard drives.

In reality, you do not have a choice, if you do not put the IPs in the
Trusted Zone you would not be able to Share.

It like having car and not using it because there is higher probability that
the car would stolen when you park it out of the Garage.

As for Encryption. The level of Encryption depends on the Card and the
driver.

Log to Acer support might be that you would find new Drivers, and or
firmware that support 128bit or better of WPA.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, Gordon:
>
> Thanks for the tip. I attempted but could not figure out how to "set each
> firewall to allow the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255." I did change
> the
> firewall Safe Zone and Restricted Zone protection levels from High to
> Medium
> for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can share
> folders/printers for both PC and laptop.
>
> Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to
> unnecessarily
> higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)
>
> Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the PC,
> but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
> 26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
> letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the WEP
> encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running
> Windows
> XP.)
>
> Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!
>

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> SSW
>

> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello, Gordon:
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply. How do I "set each firewall to allow the range
>> > 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255.", please?

>> You need to go into the Firewall settings. "Help" should help you....

David Hettel

Something doesn't make sense here to me. I've never heard of 23 bit
Encryption, it's not part of the standard. What do you mean by the boxes
will only fit 23 letters/numbers? On my machine the box scrolls to take the
26 bits, and not all of the bits are displayed, it still works. Are you sure
your card is correctly configured to 128 bit hex mode?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, Gordon:
>
> Thanks for the tip. I attempted but could not figure out how to "set each
> firewall to allow the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255." I did change
> the
> firewall Safe Zone and Restricted Zone protection levels from High to
> Medium
> for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can share
> folders/printers for both PC and laptop.
>
> Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to
> unnecessarily
> higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)
>
> Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the PC,
> but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
> 26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
> letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the WEP
> encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running
> Windows
> XP.)
>
> Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!
>

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> SSW
>

> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello, Gordon:
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply. How do I "set each firewall to allow the range
>> > 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255.", please?

>> You need to go into the Firewall settings. "Help" should help you....

=?Utf-8?B?U1NX?=

Hello, David:

I did not mean there is a 23-bit encryption. I changed the D-link Web
configuration to WEP 128-bit encryption, which requires 26-HEX key. It
worked with the home PC - I can access the Internet with the cable modem and
router in place. When I tried to enter the 26-HEX network key in the laptop
under Association of the Network Properties, I can not fit the 26-HEX key in
the space (The space available can only fit 23 letter/numbers). That is why
I had to change encryption back to 64-bit which only requires 10-HEX key.

I am still wondering if I configure the network correctly, even though I can
share the Internet access and printers/folders between the PC and the laptop.
I wonder if there is a way to get the network working WITHOUT lowering the
firewall Safe and the Restricted Zone Protection Levels from High to Medium.
Any tip will be appreciated. Happy New Year!
--
Sincerely,

SSW

"David Hettel" wrote:

> Something doesn't make sense here to me. I've never heard of 23 bit
> Encryption, it's not part of the standard. What do you mean by the boxes
> will only fit 23 letters/numbers? On my machine the box scrolls to take the
> 26 bits, and not all of the bits are displayed, it still works. Are you sure
> your card is correctly configured to 128 bit hex mode?
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello, Gordon:
> >
> > Thanks for the tip. I attempted but could not figure out how to "set each
> > firewall to allow the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255." I did change
> > the
> > firewall Safe Zone and Restricted Zone protection levels from High to
> > Medium
> > for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can share
> > folders/printers for both PC and laptop.
> >
> > Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to
> > unnecessarily
> > higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)
> >
> > Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the PC,
> > but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
> > 26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
> > letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the WEP
> > encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running
> > Windows
> > XP.)
> >
> > Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!
> >

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > SSW
> >

> > "Gordon" wrote:
> >
> >> "SSW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> You need to go into the Firewall settings. "Help" should help you....

David Hettel

I see I worded that poorly. encryption normally is 64 bit 128 bit 152 bit
256 bit. Your key normally is 5/13/16/29 characters long for 64/128/152/256
keys or 10/26/32/58 hex values long, each character generates two hex
values, so your 23 spaces would be generated by a 11.5 character string. You
can't input half a character. That makes me believe your not entering your
value into a space designed for Hex values.

Also you said 23 spaces fit in the box, do some scroll out of the box and
disappear? Or are you saying the most you can enter is 23 hex values., and
after that you can't enter anything else?

--
> [...]

>> > Medium
>> > for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can
>> > share
>> > folders/printers for both PC and laptop.
>> >
>> > Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to
>> > unnecessarily
>> > higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)
>> >
>> > Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the
>> > PC,
>> > but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
>> > 26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
>> > letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the
>> > WEP
>> > encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running
>> > Windows
>> > XP.)
>> >
>> > Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!

DavidT

Which service are you running on the laptop the cards utility that caom on
the disk or the window service..if all the clients are running the same
security than the key lenghts should be the same.
Are you by chance running a firewall program???. The router itself has a
pretty secure fw built into it..and if you are running a third party or
window firewall you have more than enough protection

> [...]
>> > Medium
>> > for both machines. Now the newworking is functioning well. I can
>> > share
>> > folders/printers for both PC and laptop.
>> >
>> > Question: Is this the correct way? Am I expose my network to
>> > unnecessarily
>> > higher risk? (The network is WEP secured with 64Bit Encryption.)
>> >
>> > Also, I wanted to change to WEP 128Bit Encryption. I can do so on the
>> > PC,
>> > but could not do it on the laptop because 128Bit Encryption requires
>> > 26-letter/number HEX key. The boxes on the laptop can only fit 23
>> > letter/number. Is there a way to get around the problem and set the
>> > WEP
>> > encryption to 128Bit. (I have a Acer Aspire 5102WLMi laptop running
>> > Windows
>> > XP.)
>> >
>> > Again, thank you very much. Happy New Year!

Thanks for the reply. The answer to your question is that the most I can
enter is 23 hex values, and after that I can't enter anything else.
--
Sincerely,

SSW