Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > losing internet connection

losing internet connection

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbmll?=

Help! I have a desktop and two laptops, both of which use wireless network.
When we first set the network up, it worked great. Then, the hard drive in
my son's laptop had to be replaced and ever since then I have had problems
with the network. What happens is this: My son leaves his laptop on all the
time. When my husband uses his laptop and then turns it off, we lose the
internet connection. No one can access the internet until we reboot the
modem and the router. Apparently my husband's computer is acting as a server
and when he turns it off, the server goes off also.What can be causing this?
I feel like it is my son's computer, because he has been gone to basic
training and I turned his computer off and haven't had the problem at all,
but I have been trying to correct it this week.And, it started giving us
problems when he had the hardrive replaced in his computer. I have
reinstalled the network cards on both computers, reinstalled the network
connections on both computers making sure that all the computers were turned
on, and still have the problem. I have called Dell, my cable company, and
Netgear, where I purchased the router. I did notice that after I deleted and
reinstalled the network setup today that my son's laptop gave me a message
that windows could not configure the network. Also, my network name is
dragRacers and in network places on my son's computer, it says Network
connection 3, but when you click on it, it says it is connected to
dragRacers. Shouldn't the name of the connection also be dragRacers? Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated.

David Hettel

Hmm I have a theory, don't know if it's right or not. You son's laptop maybe
going into power save mode, if it's always on but not being used. And
shutting down the wireless card for a small period of time. If the firmware
on the wireless router has not been updated it's possible that this power
save mode is not fully supported. I'd suggest that you go into the
properties for the wireless card and disable all power saving features on
it.

Also and the better choice would be to check with Netgear for a firmware
update for your router.

Your network connection icon's are generally given names that reflect what
they are, rather than what they connect to. You can right click on the icon
and rename it if you want. But network icon's name don't change based on
what they are connected to. So if you set it to dragRacers it would display
that name if connected to your Netgear, to a neighbor's access point, the
local library, or the school's network.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.