Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Media Disconnected

Re: Media Disconnected

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What are you trying to connect to?
You Current Desktop - Laptop are connect to a Wireless Source like a
Wireless Router/Access Point, or they are connected in Ad-Hoc mode between
them?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"debz_w69" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have a wireless network set up with a desktop and a laptop
> connected to it. When I attempted to add a second laptop to it, it cannot
> connect to the existing internet network connection.
>
> I followed the Windows XP help and support and attempted to ping the ip
> address of the new laptop the media state is described as "media
> disconnected". What does this mean and what can I do to chnage it so i am
> able to connect to the internet via the existing network?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGViel93Njk=?=

I already have one laptop and the desktop connected to a wireless router but
i am having problems connecting the second laptop to the same router.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> What are you trying to connect to?
> You Current Desktop - Laptop are connect to a Wireless Source like a
> Wireless Router/Access Point, or they are connected in Ad-Hoc mode between
> them?
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Lem

debz_w69 wrote:

> I already have one laptop and the desktop connected to a wireless router but
> i am having problems connecting the second laptop to the same router.
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>What are you trying to connect to?
>>You Current Desktop - Laptop are connect to a Wireless Source like a
>>Wireless Router/Access Point, or they are connected in Ad-Hoc mode between
>>them?
>>Jack (MVP-Networking).

It sounds as if the radio in the wireless NIC in the new laptop is
turned off. Check the User Guide for the laptop. It may be a small
(hard to find) physical switch or a combination of the Fn key and one of
the Fx keys.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking