Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless adapter not working

Wireless adapter not working

heidipups

My daughter logged on to an unsecured neighborhood wireless network.
After she did, and shut down and re-booted the machine the next day,
some pretty strange things have happened that I do not seem to be able
to repair. The sound was uninstalled as well as her wireless adapter.
The sound is working again. The wireless adapter is not working
properly now. We are getting a message that the wireless adapter state
is not found in the registry. I have deleted the 3945ABG Intel Pro
wireless software and reinstalled using Intel download software version
and turned on (started) everything that I can find to start and yet the
registry entry is not recreated. I also suspect the missing file is
the WLAN as it shows a dependency and that it is missing. Can anyone
advise us on this? I've tried several things now and some of those
have gotten us closer to being fixed but not completely. Is there a
programming floating around out there that would have done this and
might still reside on the computer and that needs to be removed?
Thanks...... Her machine is a Viso laptop Windows XP Professional.

David Hettel

Well it is possible that she has picked up a virus. It's also possible that
un-installing has left your registry in a mixed up state. Have you run a
virus check on her computer? Have you run a registry cleaner? Have you tried
downloading the driver from the maker of her machine? It sounds like you are
installing a generic driver from Intel.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"heidipups" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> My daughter logged on to an unsecured neighborhood wireless network.
> After she did, and shut down and re-booted the machine the next day,
> some pretty strange things have happened that I do not seem to be able
> to repair. The sound was uninstalled as well as her wireless adapter.
> The sound is working again. The wireless adapter is not working
> properly now. We are getting a message that the wireless adapter state
> is not found in the registry. I have deleted the 3945ABG Intel Pro
> wireless software and reinstalled using Intel download software version
> and turned on (started) everything that I can find to start and yet the
> registry entry is not recreated. I also suspect the missing file is
> the WLAN as it shows a dependency and that it is missing. Can anyone
> advise us on this? I've tried several things now and some of those
> have gotten us closer to being fixed but not completely. Is there a
> programming floating around out there that would have done this and
> might still reside on the computer and that needs to be removed?
> Thanks...... Her machine is a Viso laptop Windows XP Professional.

heidipups

Before I un-installed the wireless software I had the problem with the
registry and the sound and the dependancy file being absent.
She was running Norton Anti-virus when this occured.
I've installed BHO Demon (fixed two issues) and ran that, NoADWARE
(fixed several things) ran that, RegistryFix (found and fixed 500+
issues). The driver I installed from Intel was the driver that was
installed prior to this is is 3945ABG. What would you mean by generic?
... No I didn't install the Viso driver/adapter it wasn't being used
if that one exists. She is a Purdue student and normally uses the
ethernet and some wireless.

David Hettel wrote:
> Well it is possible that she has picked up a virus. It's also possible that
> un-installing has left your registry in a mixed up state. Have you run a
> virus check on her computer? Have you run a registry cleaner? Have you tried
> downloading the driver from the maker of her machine? It sounds like you are
> installing a generic driver from Intel.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "heidipups" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > My daughter logged on to an unsecured neighborhood wireless network.
> > After she did, and shut down and re-booted the machine the next day,
> > some pretty strange things have happened that I do not seem to be able
> > to repair. The sound was uninstalled as well as her wireless adapter.
> > The sound is working again. The wireless adapter is not working
> > properly now. We are getting a message that the wireless adapter state
> > is not found in the registry. I have deleted the 3945ABG Intel Pro
> > wireless software and reinstalled using Intel download software version
> > and turned on (started) everything that I can find to start and yet the
> > registry entry is not recreated. I also suspect the missing file is
> > the WLAN as it shows a dependency and that it is missing. Can anyone
> > advise us on this? I've tried several things now and some of those
> > have gotten us closer to being fixed but not completely. Is there a
> > programming floating around out there that would have done this and
> > might still reside on the computer and that needs to be removed?
> > Thanks...... Her machine is a Viso laptop Windows XP Professional.

David Hettel

Each computer manufacture takes the Intel Driver and modifies it for their
hardware, for some that means very little and for others that can mean a
lot. Some will add additional software that enhances the operation on their
computers. The 3945ABG hardware, can be modified by the firmware loaded into
it, and how it is mapped into the memory of the computer.

Just connecting to an unsecure network would not do what you are reporting,
their maybe other issues with her computer, from a hard drive failing,
thereby deleting some program, to a virus in her computer. To her attempting
to repair or remove something and causing the problem.