Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless networking access points

Wireless networking access points

=?Utf-8?B?TG91?=

I have been trying to figure out how I can restrict the machines that my
children use to attach only to the wireless access point in my home. It seems
that when I try to limit their time online they only have to do a search for
available networks and attach to one in the neighborhood that does not have
encryption, surprisingly there are many available to them. I know that I can
unselect the attach to non prefered networks but it seems they are already
hip to that. Is there a registry entry I can use.

Pavel A.

Intel adapters have "mandatory AP" feature (enable thru Proset)
However if your children are so smart they will defeat this restriction too.
--PA

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been trying to figure out how I can restrict the machines that my
> children use to attach only to the wireless access point in my home. It seems
> that when I try to limit their time online they only have to do a search for
> available networks and attach to one in the neighborhood that does not have
> encryption, surprisingly there are many available to them. I know that I can
> unselect the attach to non prefered networks but it seems they are already
> hip to that. Is there a registry entry I can use.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I assume that you are timing centrally through your Router.
You can add software control to each individual computer to block Internet
access by time schedule.
Example, http://www.agnitum.com/news/security...y2006issue.php
(look at the end of the page).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been trying to figure out how I can restrict the machines that my
> children use to attach only to the wireless access point in my home. It
> seems
> that when I try to limit their time online they only have to do a search
> for
> available networks and attach to one in the neighborhood that does not
> have
> encryption, surprisingly there are many available to them. I know that I
> can
> unselect the attach to non prefered networks but it seems they are already
> hip to that. Is there a registry entry I can use.

Rich

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:01:00 -0800, Lou
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been trying to figure out how I can restrict the machines that my
>children use to attach only to the wireless access point in my home. It seems
>that when I try to limit their time online they only have to do a search for
>available networks and attach to one in the neighborhood that does not have
>encryption, surprisingly there are many available to them. I know that I can
>unselect the attach to non prefered networks but it seems they are already
>hip to that. Is there a registry entry I can use.

how about taking the laptop/desktop away until they can obey your
instructions?

73,
rich, n9dko