Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: No Internet access, but strong signal, "connected" to wireless

Re: No Internet access, but strong signal, "connected" to wireless

David Hettel

It sounds like a problem with your network key to me. You might want to try
entering your password as a hex value. Also you might want to look at these
pages;

There is also an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
Take the time to go through it and it will usually pinpoint the problem
area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Lil stacey" <Lil http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My laptop connects to several wireless networks (at school, friend's home
> linksys wireless router, etc) But at my house, using a Linksys router, my
> PC
> cannot access Internet but gives strong signal strencth and says it's
> connected. The router has WEP 64 enabled. When I connect, I enter the WEP
> key
> and all 'looks' OK but no internet. If I use the trial version of Network
> magic, I can get internet access but eventuall I'll have to pay for a
> license. I don't want to do that, it network magic can 'configure' my
> laptop
> , why can't I? Any ideas.

=?Utf-8?B?TGlsIHN0YWNleQ==?=

The key is entered in hex. Network Magic requests the same key (in hex, WEP
from Linksys) and that software gets me to the Internet using that key. But
if I enter it without Newwork Magic, "page cannot be displayed" is all I ever
get.

"David Hettel" wrote:

> It sounds like a problem with your network key to me. You might want to try
> entering your password as a hex value. Also you might want to look at these
> pages;
>
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>
> There is also an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
> Take the time to go through it and it will usually pinpoint the problem
> area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "Lil stacey" <Lil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My laptop connects to several wireless networks (at school, friend's home
> > linksys wireless router, etc) But at my house, using a Linksys router, my
> > PC
> > cannot access Internet but gives strong signal strencth and says it's
> > connected. The router has WEP 64 enabled. When I connect, I enter the WEP
> > key
> > and all 'looks' OK but no internet. If I use the trial version of Network
> > magic, I can get internet access but eventuall I'll have to pay for a
> > license. I don't want to do that, it network magic can 'configure' my
> > laptop
> > , why can't I? Any ideas.

David Hettel

OK if you're entering the key in hex then you need to figure out where your
connection is failing, may I suggest you try this;
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...agnostics.mspx

There is also an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
Take the time to go through it and it will usually pinpoint the problem
area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

--
David Hettel