Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WIRELESS AND Wi-Fi

WIRELESS AND Wi-Fi

=?Utf-8?B?Z29vYm1laXN0ZXI=?=

Hi,

Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?

I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?

Is this just semantics?

Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the Net
in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??

These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at the
beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
with notebooka.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Goob
--
ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha goobmeister,

Technically wi-fi is not the same as "wireless" but in practice they are
often used interchangably. This article may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

Wi-fi is a wireless technology, yes, but not exactly a synonym.

As for why do people subscribe to T-Mobile and such the reason is that to
connect to the Internet via wireless you have to be able to connect to a
wireless access point. Sometimes you can find an open wireless access point
(WAP) that requires no credentials to log into it -- that can either be an
accident (somebody installed a WAP and didn't secure it) or intentional (somebody
installed a WAP they deliberately left open to allow free access). But in
many cases the only WAP(s) you'll be able to connect to are going to require
some kind of authorization to actually use.

T-Mobile (and others) offer WAPs in many places (coffee houses, airports,
etc.) that are like that. You can connect to them, but in order to actually
use them you'll have to subscribe. Then you can log in with the account
they provide (which you've paid for) and use them.

Depending upon how often you travel (and where) you may find such a subscription
valuable. Also most of those services offer 1 day or part-day subscriptions
for a reduced rate (4 hours for $6.99 or something like that).

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

> Hi,
>
> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new
> wireless-capable notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and
> wi-fi the same thing?
>
> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
> Is this just semantics?
>
> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on
> the Net in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>
> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start
> at the beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop
> wireless, but never with notebooka.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!!
>
> Goob

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Read this first, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#terms
The method that allows to create local Wireless network, and use it to
connect to the Internet through you own Wireless Router/AP source (or
hotspot in Internet Café etc.), is the common Wireless Installed in most
Laptop.
The current standard is referred too as 802.11 b/g.
If a manufacturer want his 802.11b/g hardware to be certified, he can submit
it to an organization that certified Wireless hardware, if it pass the
tests, it can be officially called WIFI.
Most Entry Level hardware is Not certified as WIFi because it is expensive
and a time consuming process.
Not being certified does not mean that it is Not compatible. Current 802.11
b/g hardware work together whether they are WIFI certified or not.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goobmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>
> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
> Is this just semantics?
>
> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the
> Net
> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>
> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at
> the
> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
> with notebooka.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

David Hettel

Wireless covers a number of technologies. Wi-Fi would be consider wireless,
but wireless would not necessarily be Wi-Fi. A wireless notebook could have
a built-in cellular connection, that would allow one to connect anywhere
there is a cellular signal. Wi-Fi requires an access point or an Ad-hoc
connection, these are relative short range generally within 300 feet or
less. Within a home their range is often less than 50 feet. Bluetooth is
another form of wireless, that may connect your notebook to a mouse, a
headset, a PDA, a cell phone on a LAN. Bluetooth range is very limited
generally 10 to 30 feet.

There is lots of chatter about Free Hotspots, truth is unless you happen to
be in one of a few select cities or spend lots of time in airports, this is
often more talk than reality, Most people use Wi-Fi at home, and while
staying in a motel or hotel. T-mobile offers connections at airports and
coffee shops for a fee.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"goobmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>
> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
> Is this just semantics?
>
> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the
> Net
> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>
> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at
> the
> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
> with notebooka.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

Rich

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:54:00 -0800, goobmeister
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
>notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>
>I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
>anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
>Is this just semantics?

in this context, yes.

>Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
>accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the Net
>in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??

wi-fi is merely another method for distributing a high-speed internet
(broadband) connection. someone has to pay for that connection as
well as for the wi-fi hardware to distribute that connection. some
vendors like panera bread, the holiday inn and the local RV park build
the cost of the broadband connection and wi-fi hardware infrastructure
into the cost of whatever goods or services they are peddling. this
allows them to offer "free" wi-fi to their customers. your wi-fi
enabled laptop CAN get onto the net through ANY wi-fi hot spot
provided the owner of the system has either made that connection open
and unencrypted or provided you with the login parameters.

the t-mobile wireless access is not wi-fi in this context. tmobile
(as well as cingular, verizon, sprint, earthlink and others) offer
wireless access thru their cellular phone infrastructure. for this
they charge a monthly fee. access to this type of wireless is done
either by tethering your cellphone to your laptop or by using an
'aircard' that slips into your PCMCIA or ExpressCard slot on your
laptop.

when you're using a wi-fi connection whatever company is providing the
broadband access to the wi-fi network is your ISP. if you're using a
wireless connection such as tmobile or verizon then tmobile or verizon
is your ISP. there are ways to use a wireless connection without
subscribing to a data plan (backdoor access). more information on
that can be had at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/>

>These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at the
>beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
>with notebooka.
>
>THANK YOU!!!!!
>
>Goob

73,
rich, n9dko

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

It is just getting more confusing.

The term WIFI by itself is meaningless.

For functional purposes the word WIFI should be dropped (or suggested to be
dropped) when some one need explanation.

Read slowly: "Wi-Fi (also WiFi, wifi, etc.) is a brand originally licensed
by the Wi-Fi Alliance® to describe the underlying technology of wireless
local area networks (WLAN) based on the IEEE 802.11".

The above is a quote from, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

It is important to explain/understand the specific technology that the user,
have, intend, or need to get.

As an Example to State that "wi-fi is merely another method for distributing
a high-speed internet (broadband) connection", is incorrect. There are few
methods to distribute the Internet through Wireless and some of them use
2.4GHz hardware, but it has nothing to do with 802.11Wireless certification.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goobmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>
> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
> Is this just semantics?
>
> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the
> Net
> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>
> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at
> the
> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
> with notebooka.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

=?Utf-8?B?Z29vYm1laXN0ZXI=?=

THANK YOU!

All of the replies are marvelously helpful and gratefully appreciated. Now
I'm more confused than ever! But not in a bad way...what I'm getting is that
I'll be able to access WAPs that aren't secured, such as at airports, for no
charge, but only be able to access WAPs that ARE secured, such as at coffee
houses like Starbucks, through a paid subscription -- T-Mobile for example.

I'm also getting (guessing?) that the mobile Centrino technology with the M
processor, first introduced by Intel, is what I'll want for my laptop as a
minimum so I don't have to play with a wireless card for my PCMCIA slot?
Then I really go out on a limb and assume (ugh!) that the new core 2 duo
technology, if I can afford that processor, will give me at least what the M
processor can?

How am I doing so far?

THANKS in advance!

Goob
--
ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

"goobmeister" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>
> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>
> Is this just semantics?
>
> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the Net
> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>
> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at the
> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but never
> with notebooka.
>
> THANK YOU!!!!!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

David Hettel

You're doing good so far. As to built-in or by PCMCIA cards (actually
cardbus a newer version of PCMCIA it's hard to impossible to find new PCMCIA
Wi-Fi cards and cardbus cards will not operate in older PCMCIA only slots.)
either way you'll need to play. Most cardbus cards will cover two slots or
block the top slot if use in the bottom slot of stack slots. Generally the
cardbus cards will give the fastest connection and also the greatest range.
The newest IBM laptops just started shipping with "N" type radios but the
current drivers do not permit bonding two channels for maximum throughput.
Cardbus N cards have been doing this for months. Also unless your notebook
comes with a WAN card you'll not be able to connect to cellular network with
a built-in Wi-Fi card. WAN (Cellular) is not the same as Wi-Fi. T-mobile
offers two different services a Wi-Fi plan that is available in some
airports, restaurants, and coffee houses, and a cellular plan. Getting one
does not mean you have the other. There are a number of ways of making any
of these connections, with a number of different hardware devices.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"goobmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> THANK YOU!
>
> All of the replies are marvelously helpful and gratefully appreciated.
> Now
> I'm more confused than ever! But not in a bad way...what I'm getting is
> that
> I'll be able to access WAPs that aren't secured, such as at airports, for
> no
> charge, but only be able to access WAPs that ARE secured, such as at
> coffee
> houses like Starbucks, through a paid subscription -- T-Mobile for
> example.
>
> I'm also getting (guessing?) that the mobile Centrino technology with the
> processor, first introduced by Intel, is what I'll want for my laptop as a
> minimum so I don't have to play with a wireless card for my PCMCIA slot?
> Then I really go out on a limb and assume (ugh!) that the new core 2 duo
> technology, if I can afford that processor, will give me at least what the
> processor can?
>
> How am I doing so far?
>
> THANKS in advance!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister
>

> "goobmeister" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
>> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>>
>> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
>> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>>
>> Is this just semantics?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
>> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the
>> Net
>> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>>
>> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at
>> the
>> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but
>> never
>> with notebooka.
>>
>> THANK YOU!!!!!
>>
>> Goob
>> --
>> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From a point of view of Wireless it does not matter so much what you have
(Duo Core or not means nothing to Wireless, and Networking). Even old slow
Laptop do very wel,l as long as they Have a good 802.11 b/g card intstalled.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"goobmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> THANK YOU!
>
> All of the replies are marvelously helpful and gratefully appreciated.
> Now
> I'm more confused than ever! But not in a bad way...what I'm getting is
> that
> I'll be able to access WAPs that aren't secured, such as at airports, for
> no
> charge, but only be able to access WAPs that ARE secured, such as at
> coffee
> houses like Starbucks, through a paid subscription -- T-Mobile for
> example.
>
> I'm also getting (guessing?) that the mobile Centrino technology with the
> processor, first introduced by Intel, is what I'll want for my laptop as a
> minimum so I don't have to play with a wireless card for my PCMCIA slot?
> Then I really go out on a limb and assume (ugh!) that the new core 2 duo
> technology, if I can afford that processor, will give me at least what the
> processor can?
>
> How am I doing so far?
>
> THANKS in advance!
>
> Goob
> --
> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister
>

> "goobmeister" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before I get into this arena with the purchase of a new wireless-capable
>> notebook, one very basic question: is wireless and wi-fi the same thing?
>>
>> I notice some notebook descriptives saying, "connect to wi-fi hotspots
>> anywhere!" While ohers say, "connect wirelessly anywhere!" ?
>>
>> Is this just semantics?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!! And while I'm at it, why do folks subscribe to
>> accounts such as T-Mobile Hot Spot? Can't a wireless notebook get on the
>> Net
>> in an unlimited way? If not, WHY not, please??
>>
>> These are very basic questions, I realize, but I might as well start at
>> the
>> beginning!!?? I've had decent experience with desktop wireless, but
>> never
>> with notebooka.
>>
>> THANK YOU!!!!!
>>
>> Goob
>> --
>> ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister

=?Utf-8?B?Z29vYm1laXN0ZXI=?=

Thank you again ever so much! The best answers, which I'm definitely getting
here, always seem to raise more questions )

One reference is made to "a good 802.11 b/g card intstalled." Who
manufactures such a card? Belkin, Netgear, et al?

I currently have a wired cable modem (mfr. Ambit) which I suppose I would
have to replace with a wireless router? I have an older D-Link model with a
PCI antenna because there once were two desktops communicating wirelessly
with the router, including a printer, but I'd like to go with a newer router
so I can use the notebook at home wirelessly while my desktop continues to
use its wired connection.

During my reading of the suggested links, I came across a site named Boingo
which charges a fee for their software to, among other things, sniff out
hotspots. Any opinions, other suggestions, about that type of technology?

Seems my one issue still bugging concerns the following, and I quote:

"unless your notebook comes with a WAN card you'll not be able to connect to
cellular network with a built-in Wi-Fi card. WAN (Cellular) is not the same
as Wi-Fi. T-mobile offers two different services a Wi-Fi plan that is
available in some airports, restaurants, and coffee houses, and a cellular
plan. Getting one does not mean you have the other. There are a number of
ways of making any of these connections, with a number of different hardware
devices."

Thank you again, in advance, for any assistance : )

Happy Holidays,

Goob
--
ALL ABOUT ME/goobmeister