Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows me wireless networking

Windows me wireless networking

=?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=

I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a windows
protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
thanks
sunny

Dave

"sunfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
> and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
> card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
> machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a
> windows
> protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
> thanks
> sunny

does the card say it should work on ME?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Make sure that you have drivers that are compatible with WindowsME
Before you attempt again read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"sunfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
> and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
> card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
> machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a
> windows
> protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
> thanks
> sunny

=?Utf-8?B?c3VuZmFtaWx5?=

Windows does not identify the card in PnP. At the same time it identifies a
modem that is installed in the same PCI slot. The driver CD has folders for
me/xp/and Win 2000. I tried the same card on the other XP machine and it
goes well.
Thanks
sunny

"Dave" wrote:

> "sunfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
> > and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
> > card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
> > machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a
> > windows
> > protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
> > thanks
> > sunny

> does the card say it should work on ME?

tbk

try to disable ani-virus on me pc and try installing the card.

first install driver and then insert your card it should solve ur prob

sunfamily wrote:
> Windows does not identify the card in PnP. At the same time it identifies a
> modem that is installed in the same PCI slot. The driver CD has folders for
> me/xp/and Win 2000. I tried the same card on the other XP machine and it
> goes well.
> Thanks
> sunny
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>

> > "sunfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I am trying to network 2 pcs on a wireless network. one running windows me
> > > and the host running windows xp. i am using a cardbus/PCI adapter network
> > > card- IEEE 802.11g. I am able to install the card sucessfully on the XP
> > > machine but when i try to install the card on the me machine i get a
> > > windows
> > > protection error. could some one give me a clue ?
> > > thanks
> > > sunny

> > does the card say it should work on ME?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Having Wireless problems with Win98 and Win ME is quite common. Wireless
came to market later in the game, and some manufacturers did not work hard
to make it compatible with Win98 WinME.
Try another PCI slot, if it does not work you have two options.
Upgrade to Windows 2000, or WinXP if the hardware can take it.
Use a USB Dongle instead.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"tbk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> try to disable ani-virus on me pc and try installing the card.
>
> first install driver and then insert your card it should solve ur prob
>

> sunfamily wrote:
>> Windows does not identify the card in PnP. At the same time it identifies
>> modem that is installed in the same PCI slot. The driver CD has folders
>> for
>> me/xp/and Win 2000. I tried the same card on the other XP machine and it
>> goes well.
>> Thanks
>> sunny
>>
>> "Dave" wrote:
>>

>> > "sunfamily" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > does the card say it should work on ME?

Dave

the error is relatively self explanatory, windows sets up a default gateway
of 192.168.0.1 that is then used by other machines on the network to route
through the me machine to get out to the internet. so what me is telling
you is that it can't use that address because something else, probably your
router, is already using it.

the normal solution is to change the internet side of the network to use
something other than 192.168.0.* as its address range. how you do this
depends on your router and how you configure your xp machine. what kind of
internet connection do you have that you are trying to share? sometimes it
is easier to get a wireless router than to use ics, especially if you have
some kind of broadband. you have to remember that with ics the 'host'
machine has to be on or the clients don't get any access.