Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Signal wont get out of U-state ????

Signal wont get out of U-state ????

Thor Phersen

Im sure this is a stupid question, but I have this signal that just won't
change. I have two components, linked together in a "master" file. The one
component has an output, and the other one has an input, assigned to the
same signal in the "master" design file. This should work fine, right ? I
have other signals in the design defined in the same way, and they work fine
!

I just wonder if any of you have a clue to where I have written something
wrong ? The system compiles OK in Modelsim, and ISE makes a configuration
file whithout any complaint. But it does not work. In Modelsim the signal
appears as U, no matter how many times I assign a value to the signal in the
VHDL-code. By the way, if it is of any importance, the code consists mainly
of one-process state mackines.

Mike Treseler

Thor Phersen wrote:
> I have two components, linked together in a "master" file. The one
> component has an output, and the other one has an input, assigned to the
> same signal in the "master" design file. This should work fine, right ?

As long as the testbench architecture
that instances the "master" design file
also drives the other inputs.

-- Mike Treseler