Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > newbie question on output from Cisco 2600

newbie question on output from Cisco 2600

Tim Coates

Hi,

We have a Cisco 2600 router that forwards ip traffic to a callmanager
application (our 'ISP' located) in another state - this include VOIP.
What we would like to do is monitor/manage/audit voice calls going out
through the router.

One person that we spoke to suggested sniffing each packet - but that
seems a little extreme.

Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
require a RADIUS accounting server?

Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
(references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
output this information.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Ivan Ostreš

In article <xn0Rd.164685$(E-Mail Removed)>, tc@rms-
telecomms.com says...
> Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
> calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
> require a RADIUS accounting server?
>
> Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
> (references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
> output this information.

Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)

--
-Ivan.

Merv

look at NETFOW accouting

Merv

NETFLOW

Ivan Ostreš

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> In article <xn0Rd.164685$(E-Mail Removed)>, tc@rms-
> telecomms.com says...
> > Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
> > calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
> > require a RADIUS accounting server?
> >
> > Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
> > (references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
> > output this information.
> >

> Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)

After better reading the OP, it looks like a router is a VoIP gateway
and tracking can be made using radius.

Another approach would be to enable specific debugs which would give you
required call info and forward output to syslog server. There you can
create some custom scripts that would pull out just the data you need.

--
-Ivan.

Tim Coates

Ivan Ostreš wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>In article <xn0Rd.164685$(E-Mail Removed)>, tc@rms-
>>telecomms.com says...
>>
>>>Is it possible to setup a Cisco 2600 router so that we can see what
>>>calls are going over the Internet? If this is possible, how? Would we
>>>require a RADIUS accounting server?
>>>
>>>Please forgive my total ignorance. I would appreciate any information
>>>(references to documentation?) to assist in configuring the router to
>>>output this information.
>>>

>>Is your router a VoIP gateway? (have a Voice port and ethernet port?)
>>

> After better reading the OP, it looks like a router is a VoIP gateway
> and tracking can be made using radius.
>
> Another approach would be to enable specific debugs which would give you
> required call info and forward output to syslog server. There you can
> create some custom scripts that would pull out just the data you need.

Ivan,

Here is the reply that I got from the provider:

The 2600 router has only an Ethernet port, there is not voice port. The
voice over IP traffic (which is primarily SCCP) only passes through the
router and is prioritized. The router is not acting as a VoIP gateway.

You would still think that accounting information could be output?

Tim

Ivan Ostreš

In article <toMTd.175609$(E-Mail Removed)>, tc@rms-
telecomms.com says...
> Ivan,
>
> Here is the reply that I got from the provider:
>
> The 2600 router has only an Ethernet port, there is not voice port. The
> voice over IP traffic (which is primarily SCCP) only passes through the
> router and is prioritized. The router is not acting as a VoIP gateway.
>
> You would still think that accounting information could be output?

No. Router is not doing any translation here (voice/ip) so you can't
expect the wanted info using radius.

The only thing I can think of is using netflow which will give you a
traffic statistics which may be (or not) what you really want.

I still have to admit that I don't really understand why would you want
to do such thing on a router that is used just for passing-by traffic.
Why not do acccounting on VoIP gateway? If the router have just one
interface, do you do a 'router on a stick'? Why?

Sounds like a bad design...

--
-Ivan.

PWR-2600-AC 2600 power supply to switch over a DC router? dehusk@gmail.com Cisco 2 08-09-2008 10:47 PM
Easy Cisco 2600 Question domanic Cisco 1 11-11-2006 08:17 PM
newbie question.. blocking single ip address on cisco 2600 series Jeff Cisco 4 04-14-2005 07:30 PM
Re: H.323 ALG in Cisco 2600 Colin Cisco 3 07-20-2003 03:31 AM
cisco 2600 - route port 80 for cache server Radial Monster Cisco 2 07-11-2003 05:02 PM

Advertisments