Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > connecting firefox and Java

connecting firefox and Java

Leo Kline

When I use firefox to open gamecolony it needs to invoke Java to get a game
board setup (chess). When I use netscape to open gamecolony the process
proceeds smoothly. What do I need to do the open the door to Java when I am
using the fireox browser?

Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com

Leo Kline wrote:
> When I use firefox to open gamecolony it needs to invoke Java to get a game
> board setup (chess). When I use netscape to open gamecolony the process
> proceeds smoothly. What do I need to do the open the door to Java when I am
> using the fireox browser?

in the Netscape address bar type in aboutlugins and look for the java
files. There should be about 7 of them. The Plugin directory is
located within the Netscape program directory. Using your file
manager, locate these 7 files, then copy them to the Firefox plugin
directory, which is located within the FF program directory. Do this
with the program closed.

Leo Kline

I'm not at all sure I found the "plugin directory" in firefox but there is
clearly a folder called "plugins" under the mozilla folder. There is a
simi;ar folder in netscape so I copied all of the plugins from netscape and
pasted them into the mozilla plugin folder. The problem did not go away. I
opened the Java control panel ,clicked the Advanced tab and noted that
Internet explorer was given access to Java whle mozilla was not. I checked
the box attempting to give mozilla access to Java (by opening the
<applet>tag support tree) and got the message that I could not change
browser permissions.How do I overcome this new wrinkle?
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Leo Kline wrote:
> I'm not at all sure I found the "plugin directory" in firefox but there is
> clearly a folder called "plugins" under the mozilla folder. There is a
> simi;ar folder in netscape so I copied all of the plugins from netscape and
> pasted them into the mozilla plugin folder. The problem did not go away. I
> opened the Java control panel ,clicked the Advanced tab and noted that
> Internet explorer was given access to Java whle mozilla was not. I checked
> the box attempting to give mozilla access to Java (by opening the
> <applet>tag support tree) and got the message that I could not change
> browser permissions.How do I overcome this new wrinkle?
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Leo Kline wrote:
> >> When I use firefox to open gamecolony it needs to invoke Java to get a
> >> game
> >> board setup (chess). When I use netscape to open gamecolony the process
> >> proceeds smoothly. What do I need to do the open the door to Java when I
> >> am
> >> using the fireox browser?

> > in the Netscape address bar type in aboutlugins and look for the java
> > files. There should be about 7 of them. The Plugin directory is
> > located within the Netscape program directory. Using your file
> > manager, locate these 7 files, then copy them to the Firefox plugin
> > directory, which is located within the FF program directory. Do this
> > with the program closed.

when you copied the files over, you did so with the program closed
right.

Any ways, for the other problem. Close all programs, then open the
Add/Remove Programs and see how many Java programs listed. If you see
more than one, then uninstall them ALL including the current version.
Reboot, and reinstall the current one. Do things work now?

If you only see one java listing, then use your file manager, and look
in C:\program files\java and see how many is listed there. You should
only see one. The current version. If you see more than one, let me
know and I'll tell you how to clean things in the windows registry.

Leonidas Jones

Leo Kline wrote:

> I'm not at all sure I found the "plugin directory" in firefox but there is
> clearly a folder called "plugins" under the mozilla folder. There is a
> simi;ar folder in netscape so I copied all of the plugins from netscape and
> pasted them into the mozilla plugin folder. The problem did not go away. I
> opened the Java control panel ,clicked the Advanced tab and noted that
> Internet explorer was given access to Java whle mozilla was not. I checked
> the box attempting to give mozilla access to Java (by opening the
> <applet>tag support tree) and got the message that I could not change
> browser permissions.How do I overcome this new wrinkle?
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Leo Kline wrote:
>>> When I use firefox to open gamecolony it needs to invoke Java to get a
>>> game
>>> board setup (chess). When I use netscape to open gamecolony the process
>>> proceeds smoothly. What do I need to do the open the door to Java when I
>>> am
>>> using the fireox browser?

>> in the Netscape address bar type in aboutlugins and look for the java
>> files. There should be about 7 of them. The Plugin directory is
>> located within the Netscape program directory. Using your file
>> manager, locate these 7 files, then copy them to the Firefox plugin
>> directory, which is located within the FF program directory. Do this
>> with the program closed.

Program Files:

Netscape

C://Program Files/Netscape

There will be subfolders for the Netscape versions you may have installed.

Mozilla/Seamonkey

C://Program Files/Mozilla

Again, subfolders for a Mozilla suite and/or SeaMonkey installation.

Firefox

C://Program Files/Mozilla Firefox

Plugins folders for each should be inside.

Lee