Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Going Wireless

Going Wireless

RickyHome

Hello

I have a Cable broadband connection (supplied by Telewest) for my interent.
I am considering going Wireless, I have been given a motorola modem by
Telewest, which plugs straight in to my PC, via a RJ45 cable.

I am slightly confused at the products availableto go wireless, where do I
start.

I have seen wireless routers or wireless modems and wireless modem routers,
which do I purchase?

Kind Regards

Ricky

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The Modem/Router Combos are Not so good.
Since you already have a Modem, you need a Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
May be this can Help.
Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"RickyHome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have a Cable broadband connection (supplied by Telewest) for my
> interent.
> I am considering going Wireless, I have been given a motorola modem by
> Telewest, which plugs straight in to my PC, via a RJ45 cable.
>
> I am slightly confused at the products availableto go wireless, where do I
> start.
>
> I have seen wireless routers or wireless modems and wireless modem
> routers,
> which do I purchase?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Ricky

John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> The Modem/Router Combos are Not so good.

What is wrong with the modem/router combos,as I have just bought one?

John

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Nothing is wrong with them, they work.
The Router part in the combos is usually a very basic device, you do net get
a fancy flexible Router with a Combo.
Modems are simple devices they last longer and do not need frequent upgrade.
If you want later On to upgrade the Router, or and the Wireless, you have to
buy a New Modem as well.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:OQ5kv%(E-Mail Removed)...