Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > fire fox has less than 5% mrket share

fire fox has less than 5% mrket share

Mosley Jones III

We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
visits.

Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.

I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background and
caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than it
should have.

Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I know
that is simply not true.

Tony Raven

Mosley Jones III wrote on 16/12/2006 12:02 +0100:
> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
> visits.
>
> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.
>
> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background and
> caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than it
> should have.
>
> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I know
> that is simply not true.

Are you hosting the Microsoft Fan Club websites?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Scott Hildenbrand

Mosley Jones III wrote:
> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
> visits.
>
> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.
>
> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background and
> caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than it
> should have.
>
> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I know
> that is simply not true.

Here are the stats from a full year on one of our sites, almost 4
million uniques.

MS Internet Explorer 164526821 82.8 %
Firefox 21796558 10.9 %
Safari 4082055 2 %

Now, this set is just from Dec.. So FF is picking up steam.

MS Internet Explorer 10243745 80 %
Firefox 1733284 13.5 %
Safari 316948 2.4 %

Also note, all those cute Mac commercials are paying off. Just look at
that .4%!

Hahaha.. Had to.. Yeah, there's FF for Mac too.. At any rate, just the
stats.

General audience, 75% woman keyed site.

John Thompson

On 2006-12-16, Mosley Jones III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
> visits.
>
> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.

There seem to be some sites that have a higher proportion of Firefox
users than others. Perhaps your site is Firefox-unfriendly (i.e. non
standards-compliant code or features) that discourage Firefox users from
visiting or even require Firefox users to change the Firefox User-Agent
string to report Internet Explorer as is often necessary when visiting
sites with Microsoft-centric design.

> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background and
> caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than it
> should have.

But wouldn't storing them in the cache led to fewer hits since Firefox
would be loading them locally instead of fetching them off the Internet?

> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I know
> that is simply not true.

Why is this a concern for you?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Olgierd

*Mosley Jones III* wrote:

> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.

Rubbish or your sites visited by some dumb teens.

--
pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
JID(E-Mail Removed) || http://olgierd.bblog.pl

Mosley Jones III

"John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org...
> On 2006-12-16, Mosley Jones III <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
>> visits.
>>
>> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.

> There seem to be some sites that have a higher proportion of Firefox
> users than others. Perhaps your site is Firefox-unfriendly (i.e. non
> standards-compliant code or features) that discourage Firefox users from
> visiting or even require Firefox users to change the Firefox User-Agent
> string to report Internet Explorer as is often necessary when visiting
> sites with Microsoft-centric design.

no, they handle fire fox ok, and the sites are purely business and have no
reason to pull one user over the other

>> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background
>> and
>> caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than it
>> should have.

> But wouldn't storing them in the cache led to fewer hits since Firefox
> would be loading them locally instead of fetching them off the Internet?
>
>> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I
>> know
>> that is simply not true.

> Why is this a concern for you?
>
> --
>
> John ((E-Mail Removed))

Mosley Jones III

"Tony Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mosley Jones III wrote on 16/12/2006 12:02 +0100:
>> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
>> visits.
>>
>> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.
>>
>> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background
>> and caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than
>> it should have.
>>
>> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I
>> know that is simply not true.

> Are you hosting the Microsoft Fan Club websites?

the sites are purely business and have no reason to pull one user over the
other

> --
> Tony
>
> "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
> wildly inaccurate..."
> Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mosley Jones III

"Scott Hildenbrand" <"scott[dunspamme]"@fuzzywolf.com> wrote in message
news:10Ugh.338$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mosley Jones III wrote:
>> We host many web sites and a few months ago we started keeping stats of
>> visits.
>>
>> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.
>>
>> I also read that Firefox reloads pages that you visit in the background
>> and caches them for future visits leading to a higher number of hits than
>> it should have.
>>
>> Yes I have read that Firefox has 30% market share here in Australia. I
>> know that is simply not true.

> Here are the stats from a full year on one of our sites, almost 4 million
> uniques.
>
> MS Internet Explorer 164526821 82.8 %
> Firefox 21796558 10.9 %
> Safari 4082055 2 %
>
> Now, this set is just from Dec.. So FF is picking up steam.
>
> MS Internet Explorer 10243745 80 %
> Firefox 1733284 13.5 %
> Safari 316948 2.4 %

one of your sites?

what does that site do?

Maybe it attackts firefox users

we have used all the sites and the sites are purely business and have no
reason to pull one user over the other

> Also note, all those cute Mac commercials are paying off. Just look at
> that .4%!
>
> Hahaha.. Had to.. Yeah, there's FF for Mac too.. At any rate, just the
> stats.
>
> General audience, 75% woman keyed site.

Mosley Jones III

"Olgierd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ess.com...
> *Mosley Jones III* wrote:
>
>> Our stats show that Firefox has less than 5% market share.

> Rubbish or your sites visited by some dumb teens.

No, the are simp,ly sites promotoing various businesses, they are sites are
purely business and have no reason to pull one user over the other

> --
> pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
> JID(E-Mail Removed) || http://olgierd.bblog.pl

Tattoo Vampire

Post your stats, ****knuckle.

--
Regards,
[tv]

....I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.