Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Router Programming via Wireless Connection?

Wireless Router Programming via Wireless Connection?

Tom

This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on my
home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program it.
I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a wireless
connection?

I ask now because I have connected to an open access router accessible
from my home but not on my network, and when I looked at my Network
Places, I found a description of the router I connected to and in the
Properties I found the program address for that router, along with its
MAC address. I don't want to experiment by trying to get into its
programming just to see if I can. That could be interpreted as an
attack and get me into trouble.

I just want to know so when I set up my network again I'll take the
right measures to secure my system.

Tom

In every assembly, of whatever size, passion will
always steal the crown from reason. John Adams

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

When you are on some else Network you can see some of the network
parameters, and vise versa. I.e. people can log to your unprotected network
as well.

You can configure the security through a Wireless connection, but it is not
recommended, because you can get stuck, you might loose the capacity to
connect to your Router Wirelessly. (
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#onewire ).

If you do not have a computer with the capacity to connect with a wire, you
can get inexpensive USB to Ethernet converter and config a temporarily wired
connection. It is always good to have such a gizmo in the toolkit for a
rainy days. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812107293

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

John Wunderlich

Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on
> my home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
> assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program
> it. I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a
> wireless connection?

YES. For most wireless router manufacturers, the default is that it
can be programmed by any device on the LAN side of the router
(including wireless). WAN side programming can also be configured.
In order to view/change configuration, you usually have to enter a
user name (usually "admin") and a password (which is programmed to a
default value when you purchase the router). If you change the
password from the manufacturer's default, you basically lock out the
ability of a passer-by changing your router configuration.

> I ask now because I have connected to an open access router
> accessible from my home but not on my network, and when I looked
> at my Network Places, I found a description of the router I
> connected to and in the Properties I found the program address for
> that router, along with its MAC address. I don't want to
> experiment by trying to get into its programming just to see if I
> can. That could be interpreted as an attack and get me into
> trouble.

Attaching to a nearby network through an open channel gives you
access to printers on that network and if there are computers on
that network with XP home, you can usually attach to their hard
drive using the administrator login with no password -- which works
unless they were wise enough to change the password. Using wireless
security is highly recommended unless you would like strangers
poking around your hard drive. Changing the administrator password
is also a good additional step.

Good Luck,
John

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0dHk=?=

"Tom" wrote:

> This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on my
> home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
> assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program it.
> I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a wireless
> connection?
>
> I ask now because I have connected to an open access router accessible
> from my home but not on my network, and when I looked at my Network
> Places, I found a description of the router I connected to and in the
> Properties I found the program address for that router, along with its
> MAC address. I don't want to experiment by trying to get into its
> programming just to see if I can. That could be interpreted as an
> attack and get me into trouble.
>
> I just want to know so when I set up my network again I'll take the
> right measures to secure my system.
>
> Tom

> In every assembly, of whatever size, passion will
> always steal the crown from reason. John Adams

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0dHk=?=

hi there wondering if i change my labtop can i just put the card from my
wireless in the other labtop and still go on or do i have to use another web
key. i want to buy a new labtop becuse window is going ... can i just move
card over and still be on the net will service just fellow to new laptop
thankyou looking for feed back patty

"John Wunderlich" wrote:

> Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > This topic interests me because I had a wireless router setup on
> > my home system and never bothered to password protect it on the
> > assumption that only a computer wired to the router could program
> > it. I have since taken it down. Can it be programmed thru a
> > wireless connection?

> YES. For most wireless router manufacturers, the default is that it
> can be programmed by any device on the LAN side of the router
> (including wireless). WAN side programming can also be configured.
> In order to view/change configuration, you usually have to enter a
> user name (usually "admin") and a password (which is programmed to a
> default value when you purchase the router). If you change the
> password from the manufacturer's default, you basically lock out the
> ability of a passer-by changing your router configuration.
>
> > I ask now because I have connected to an open access router
> > accessible from my home but not on my network, and when I looked
> > at my Network Places, I found a description of the router I
> > connected to and in the Properties I found the program address for
> > that router, along with its MAC address. I don't want to
> > experiment by trying to get into its programming just to see if I
> > can. That could be interpreted as an attack and get me into
> > trouble.

> Attaching to a nearby network through an open channel gives you
> access to printers on that network and if there are computers on
> that network with XP home, you can usually attach to their hard
> drive using the administrator login with no password -- which works
> unless they were wise enough to change the password. Using wireless
> security is highly recommended unless you would like strangers
> poking around your hard drive. Changing the administrator password
> is also a good additional step.
>
> Good Luck,
> John

Sooner Al [MVP]

"patty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi there wondering if i change my labtop can i just put the card from my
> wireless in the other labtop and still go on or do i have to use another
> web
> key. i want to buy a new labtop becuse window is going ... can i just
> move
> card over and still be on the net will service just fellow to new laptop
> thankyou looking for feed back patty

If you use Wireless Connect Now/Wireless Auto Connect you can save off your
wireless network information on a flash drive. Then you can simply plug-in
the flash drive and automatically configure the laptop. I do that with my
home wireless LAN and it works very well...

See the Wireless Connect Now section...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Tom

From my experience that should work. Your card will pick up any near
by signal. Just log on to the one that belongs to your router. Tom