Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Wireless printing

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Wireless printing

 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2006
moe103 wrote:

> I am working with Windows XP Pro, have set up my laptop for wireless
> operation and this works fine. I have a Brothers 3240 ,all in one
> printer ,and want to be able to print to it from the laptop
> wirelessly. I installed on the lap top the printer drivers from the
> Brothers printer. The printer is plugged into a USB 2 port. Is there
> anything else I should have to do, to be able to print from the
> laptop. At the present, when I click print it shows printing on the
> laptop, but does not print at the printer. Thanks for any advice on
> this. Moe


You need to share the printer from the computer where it is connected.
If the Brother is correctly shared, does the printer show up in the
laptop's Printers Control Panel applet? If not, then go through the Add
Printer routine. Check the documentation on the Brother for further
details about networking.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2006
Hi
Usually the installation is done as noted above by Malke. Log to Control
Panel / Printers.. Click on Add a Printer when the wiz start choose the
network printer option (last one) and follow the wiz.
While installing disable temporarily the Firewalls on both computers
Howvever, the Brother drivers are "Finicky" sometimes it takes few times
before they install correctly. Read the instruction on the CD, I do not
remember whether the drivers have to be install before trying to Add a
networked printer, or during the process.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"moe103" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks : The printer does show in the laptop window . I went thru the
> whole
> thing but to no avail.
> I installed the drivers from the printer disk and then followed the
> instruction for the rest of the sequence.
> -- Installed drivers on laptop , made sure sharing was clicked on main
> computer, then checked that printer shows on laptop.clicked on this and
> then
> share this printer, named printer the same as the main one and clicked ok
> .Tried to print but didn't have any success. Have I missed something there
> from what you see. Thanks again.
> moe
>
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> moe103 wrote:
>>
>> > I am working with Windows XP Pro, have set up my laptop for wireless
>> > operation and this works fine. I have a Brothers 3240 ,all in one
>> > printer ,and want to be able to print to it from the laptop
>> > wirelessly. I installed on the lap top the printer drivers from the
>> > Brothers printer. The printer is plugged into a USB 2 port. Is there
>> > anything else I should have to do, to be able to print from the
>> > laptop. At the present, when I click print it shows printing on the
>> > laptop, but does not print at the printer. Thanks for any advice on
>> > this. Moe

>>
>> You need to share the printer from the computer where it is connected.
>> If the Brother is correctly shared, does the printer show up in the
>> laptop's Printers Control Panel applet? If not, then go through the Add
>> Printer routine. Check the documentation on the Brother for further
>> details about networking.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2006
Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

> Hi
> Usually the installation is done as noted above by Malke. Log to
> Control Panel / Printers.. Click on Add a Printer when the wiz start
> choose the network printer option (last one) and follow the wiz.
> While installing disable temporarily the Firewalls on both computers
> Howvever, the Brother drivers are "Finicky" sometimes it takes few
> times before they install correctly. Read the instruction on the CD, I
> do not remember whether the drivers have to be install before trying
> to Add a networked printer, or during the process.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "moe103" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks : The printer does show in the laptop window . I went thru the
>> whole
>> thing but to no avail.
>> I installed the drivers from the printer disk and then followed the
>> instruction for the rest of the sequence.
>> -- Installed drivers on laptop , made sure sharing was clicked on
>> main computer, then checked that printer shows on laptop.clicked on
>> this and then
>> share this printer, named printer the same as the main one and
>> clicked ok .Tried to print but didn't have any success. Have I missed
>> something there from what you see. Thanks again.


I completely agree with Jack. I've had similar problems with networking
Brother printers before. The last one I did was some fancy all-in-one
for a client. I finally got it working after trying at least 4
different ways and cursing a lot. I felt like I had zoomed back into
the past and was installing a printer on Win95 where if you just banged
on it enough the operating system gave up and installed the damn
printer.

If Jack's suggestion doesn't work, try using the local printer option in
the Add New Printer wizard. Browse for it. When all else fails, turn
everything off, power up the printer, power up the computers and see if
the major rebooting helps.

I'm sorry to not be more precise about this but I had the same
experience as you with my client's computer and honestly, I can't
remember what I did to finally win.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?bW9lMTAz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-17-2006
Jack/Malke
Just to let you know that we ,my son,finally got the printer to work on the
network.I removed the ,all in one, one , and used a plain printer. He was
able then to get it to be recognized on the laptop. He thought it was the all
in one printer that gave me the headache.
Thanks again for all you help and I really appreciate it . You guys really
narrowed it down for us.
--
moe


"moe103" wrote:

> Jack/Malke: I appreciate you guys giving me all that help, so today I will
> remove the Brothers , since it is giving me so much headache, and work with
> another printer that is not an all in one unit. (Epson C86). I will see if
> this does the trick , if not ,I will have to wait for some help from my son
> this weekend.
> I will keep you guys informed how it turns out either way . Thanks again .
> Have a good weekend.
> --
> moe
>
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > Usually the installation is done as noted above by Malke. Log to
> > > Control Panel / Printers.. Click on Add a Printer when the wiz start
> > > choose the network printer option (last one) and follow the wiz.
> > > While installing disable temporarily the Firewalls on both computers
> > > Howvever, the Brother drivers are "Finicky" sometimes it takes few
> > > times before they install correctly. Read the instruction on the CD, I
> > > do not remember whether the drivers have to be install before trying
> > > to Add a networked printer, or during the process.
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> > >
> > > "moe103" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >> Thanks : The printer does show in the laptop window . I went thru the
> > >> whole
> > >> thing but to no avail.
> > >> I installed the drivers from the printer disk and then followed the
> > >> instruction for the rest of the sequence.
> > >> -- Installed drivers on laptop , made sure sharing was clicked on
> > >> main computer, then checked that printer shows on laptop.clicked on
> > >> this and then
> > >> share this printer, named printer the same as the main one and
> > >> clicked ok .Tried to print but didn't have any success. Have I missed
> > >> something there from what you see. Thanks again.

> >
> > I completely agree with Jack. I've had similar problems with networking
> > Brother printers before. The last one I did was some fancy all-in-one
> > for a client. I finally got it working after trying at least 4
> > different ways and cursing a lot. I felt like I had zoomed back into
> > the past and was installing a printer on Win95 where if you just banged
> > on it enough the operating system gave up and installed the damn
> > printer.
> >
> > If Jack's suggestion doesn't work, try using the local printer option in
> > the Add New Printer wizard. Browse for it. When all else fails, turn
> > everything off, power up the printer, power up the computers and see if
> > the major rebooting helps.
> >
> > I'm sorry to not be more precise about this but I had the same
> > experience as you with my client's computer and honestly, I can't
> > remember what I did to finally win.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 2 11-27-2010 12:12 PM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:52 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:50 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:28 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-18-2007 10:11 AM



Advertisments