Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Enabling\Disabling a Wireless Nic with a restricted account

Enabling\Disabling a Wireless Nic with a restricted account

Bob

Hello,
I am trying to figure out a way to enable and disable a wireless nic
card in windows XP when a active directory user without rights to access the
device manager is logged onto the machine. I am thinking its gonna be a
registry key, but I am unable to locate anything. Currently I am using an
app that uses LanDesk switches to do this. It is very often un reliable and
usually cause a blue screen.

Please Help!!
Thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Might be that the IT manger that locked the device manger can help?

Otherwise, if we help you, we violate some one else security settings.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out a way to enable and disable a wireless nic
> card in windows XP when a active directory user without rights to access
> the device manager is logged onto the machine. I am thinking its gonna be
> a registry key, but I am unable to locate anything. Currently I am using
> an app that uses LanDesk switches to do this. It is very often un reliable
> and usually cause a blue screen.
>
> Please Help!!
> Thanks

Bob

Thanks Jack for your concern with my companys security. I'm glad you took
the time for your reply. My reason for asking this question is to try to fix
the comapany disk image that I am developing. The whole point is to not give
access to device manager.

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out a way to enable and disable a wireless nic
> card in windows XP when a active directory user without rights to access
> the device manager is logged onto the machine. I am thinking its gonna be
> a registry key, but I am unable to locate anything. Currently I am using
> an app that uses LanDesk switches to do this. It is very often un reliable
> and usually cause a blue screen.
>
> Please Help!!
> Thanks

Pavel A.

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out a way to enable and disable a wireless nic card in windows XP when a active directory user
> without rights to access the device manager is logged onto the machine. I am thinking its gonna be a registry key, but I am
> unable to locate anything.

No this is not in registry and even not in Group policy.
AFAIK, a caller of the relevant APIs must have admin rights.

Many PC models these days have a "wireless off" switch.
It is easy to understand and does not need any rights
or other confusing things.

Of course turning the RF off is not the same as disabling the adapter
in dev. manager, but the effect is almost same.

Regards,
--PA