Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Blocking shopping comparison sites from google results?

Reply
Thread Tools

Blocking shopping comparison sites from google results?

 
 
KoperniK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Hi all o/

I'm looking for an extension that will filter out sites such as
PriceGrabber, Bizrate, Ciao, Epinions, Ebay etc etc from my google search
results. Any search now is painful, wading through pages of price comparison
sites and the like which populate the first 10/20 pages of results.. I've
done a quick search through the Firefox extensions site with little joy.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jon


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
*KoperniK* wrote on 13.12.06 22:16:
> Hi all o/
>
> I'm looking for an extension that will filter out sites such as
> PriceGrabber, Bizrate, Ciao, Epinions, Ebay etc etc from my google search
> results. Any search now is painful, wading through pages of price comparison
> sites and the like which populate the first 10/20 pages of results.. I've
> done a quick search through the Firefox extensions site with little joy.
>
> Any suggestions?


Don't know, if this is extension has *exactly* the feature you're looking
for, but CustomizeGoogle let's you manipulate the Google search results
in lots of ways.
http://www.customizegoogle.com/en-US/

HTH, M.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006

KoperniK wrote:
> Hi all o/
>
> I'm looking for an extension that will filter out sites such as
> PriceGrabber, Bizrate, Ciao, Epinions, Ebay etc etc from my google search
> results. Any search now is painful, wading through pages of price comparison
> sites and the like which populate the first 10/20 pages of results.. I've
> done a quick search through the Firefox extensions site with little joy.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jon


Learn to use Google to the fullest. Lets say you're doing a search on
Trees. You enter that into the Search Box, then you enter the stuff
you don't want to see and put a dash infront of it, so you'll have it
like this:

trees -PriceGrabber -Bizrate -Ciao -Epinions -Ebay

now Google will search for everything of trees, minus pricegrabber,
minus ebay, and so forth.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Hildenbrand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006
Or if that's too dang hard, set up a "Quicksearch" bookmark such as the
following.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s%20...inions%20-Ebay

Keyword: cg

so to search, "cg trees" in address bar... cg for clean google?

Make life easy for lazy folk like me... hehe..

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> KoperniK wrote:
>> Hi all o/
>>
>> I'm looking for an extension that will filter out sites such as
>> PriceGrabber, Bizrate, Ciao, Epinions, Ebay etc etc from my google search
>> results. Any search now is painful, wading through pages of price comparison
>> sites and the like which populate the first 10/20 pages of results.. I've
>> done a quick search through the Firefox extensions site with little joy.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Jon

>
> Learn to use Google to the fullest. Lets say you're doing a search on
> Trees. You enter that into the Search Box, then you enter the stuff
> you don't want to see and put a dash infront of it, so you'll have it
> like this:
>
> trees -PriceGrabber -Bizrate -Ciao -Epinions -Ebay
>
> now Google will search for everything of trees, minus pricegrabber,
> minus ebay, and so forth.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2006

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
> Or if that's too dang hard, set up a "Quicksearch" bookmark such as the
> following.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%s%20...inions%20-Ebay
>
> Keyword: cg
>
> so to search, "cg trees" in address bar... cg for clean google?
>
> Make life easy for lazy folk like me... hehe..
>


or create a Google bookmarklet with this script:

javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void (Qr=prompt('Keywords...',''))};if(Qr)location.href ='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=googlet&q='+escape(Qr)+'%2 0-PriceGrabber%20-Bizrate%20-Ciao%20-Epinions%20-Ebay&btnG=Search'

 
Reply With Quote
 
KoperniK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2006
> Learn to use Google to the fullest. Lets say you're doing a search on
> Trees. You enter that into the Search Box, then you enter the stuff
> you don't want to see and put a dash infront of it, so you'll have it
> like this:
>
> trees -PriceGrabber -Bizrate -Ciao -Epinions -Ebay
>
> now Google will search for everything of trees, minus pricegrabber,
> minus ebay, and so forth.
>


Hi,

Yup that's easy enough but there are, however, 100s of these sites and I was
thinking there might be an extension somewhere that feeds off a regularly
updated site filter list.

Thanks for the suggestions,

J


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-17-2006


Me also looking for this



On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:17:52 GMT, "KoperniK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Learn to use Google to the fullest. Lets say you're doing a search on
>> Trees. You enter that into the Search Box, then you enter the stuff
>> you don't want to see and put a dash infront of it, so you'll have it
>> like this:
>>
>> trees -PriceGrabber -Bizrate -Ciao -Epinions -Ebay
>>
>> now Google will search for everything of trees, minus pricegrabber,
>> minus ebay, and so forth.
>>

>
>Hi,
>
>Yup that's easy enough but there are, however, 100s of these sites and I was
>thinking there might be an extension somewhere that feeds off a regularly
>updated site filter list.
>
>Thanks for the suggestions,
>
>J
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TolMol is India's first and leading comparison shopping solution. Khushi ASP General 0 08-31-2007 10:32 AM
Plugin to filter out shopping sites in google ? Paul Mathews Firefox 2 12-23-2006 01:45 PM
Google blocking bad sites Waylon Kenning NZ Computing 7 12-05-2006 04:23 PM
Using Javascript to rotate through web checkout shopping comparison surveys sales@competitiveedgeproducts.com Javascript 6 03-02-2006 04:15 PM
Blocking and non blocking assignment in VHDL Hendra Gunawan VHDL 1 04-08-2004 06:03 AM



Advertisments