Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox - All tabs close at once

Firefox - All tabs close at once

suitn'tie@________.com

I am used to IE so when I finish a webpage I close it. Unfortunately
Firefox has the tabs, so when I close that one window, all the other
tabs close. A while back I upgraded from Firefox 0.8 to whatever the
latest version was at that time. I soon had all kinds of problems ith
Firefox, and I finally removed Firefox completely, and reinstalled
version 0.8 again. I am much happier with the old version. The only
thing is this. It used to ask me "do you want to close all tabs". I
want that question back, because I never remember there are other tabs
open. How do I get that question back? I cant find it in the
options.

Miller

*suitn'tie@________.com* wrote on 13.12.06 10:30:
> I am used to IE so when I finish a webpage I close it. Unfortunately
> Firefox has the tabs, so when I close that one window, all the other
> tabs close. A while back I upgraded from Firefox 0.8 to whatever the
> latest version was at that time. I soon had all kinds of problems ith
> Firefox, and I finally removed Firefox completely, and reinstalled
> version 0.8 again. I am much happier with the old version. The only
> thing is this. It used to ask me "do you want to close all tabs". I
> want that question back, because I never remember there are other tabs
> open. How do I get that question back? I cant find it in the
> options.

Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> [ ] Warn me when closing multiple tabs
That'a where you can find it in Firefox 2.0

HTH, M.

Rom

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:30:55 -0600, suitn'tie@________.com wrote:

> I am used to IE so when I finish a webpage I close it. Unfortunately
> Firefox has the tabs, so when I close that one window, all the other
> tabs close. A while back I upgraded from Firefox 0.8 to whatever the
> latest version was at that time. I soon had all kinds of problems ith
> Firefox, and I finally removed Firefox completely, and reinstalled
> version 0.8 again. I am much happier with the old version. The only
> thing is this. It used to ask me "do you want to close all tabs". I
> want that question back, because I never remember there are other tabs
> open. How do I get that question back? I cant find it in the
> options.

I don't recall where or if 0.8 had such a setting in Options, but in
2.0 it's "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" and located in Tabs.

Otherwise, in the Location Bar enter: about:config
In the Filter box enter: browser.tabs.warnOnClose
The default value is true, so double-click to toggle if it's false.

<http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries>

--
Rom

suitn'tie@________.com

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:53:35 +1100, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:30:55 -0600, suitn'tie@________.com wrote:
>
>> I am used to IE so when I finish a webpage I close it. Unfortunately
>> Firefox has the tabs, so when I close that one window, all the other
>> tabs close. A while back I upgraded from Firefox 0.8 to whatever the
>> latest version was at that time. I soon had all kinds of problems ith
>> Firefox, and I finally removed Firefox completely, and reinstalled
>> version 0.8 again. I am much happier with the old version. The only
>> thing is this. It used to ask me "do you want to close all tabs". I
>> want that question back, because I never remember there are other tabs
>> open. How do I get that question back? I cant find it in the
>> options.

>I don't recall where or if 0.8 had such a setting in Options, but in
>2.0 it's "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" and located in Tabs.

That dont seem to be in this version.

>Otherwise, in the Location Bar enter: about:config
>In the Filter box enter: browser.tabs.warnOnClose
>The default value is true, so double-click to toggle if it's false.

How do I get to that about:config thing?

*suitn'tie@________.com* wrote on 15.12.06 02:17:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:53:35 +1100, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I don't recall where or if 0.8 had such a setting in Options, but in
>>2.0 it's "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" and located in Tabs.

> That dont seem to be in this version.

Your version is over two years old now, how about updating?

>>Otherwise, in the Location Bar enter: about:config
>>In the Filter box enter: browser.tabs.warnOnClose
>>The default value is true, so double-click to toggle if it's false.
>>

> How do I get to that about:config thing?

Just type it into the adress-field and hit enter.

HTH, M.

suitn'tie@________.com

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:55:53 +0100, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>*suitn'tie@________.com* wrote on 15.12.06 02:17:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:53:35 +1100, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I don't recall where or if 0.8 had such a setting in Options, but in
>>>2.0 it's "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" and located in Tabs.

>> That dont seem to be in this version.

>Your version is over two years old now, how about updating?
>
>>>Otherwise, in the Location Bar enter: about:config
>>>In the Filter box enter: browser.tabs.warnOnClose
>>>The default value is true, so double-click to toggle if it's false.
>>>

>> How do I get to that about:config thing?

>Just type it into the adress-field and hit enter.
>
>HTH, M.

I got *about config* opened, but still cant find any way to change the
tab thing.

I already upgraded, had far too many problems with the later versions,
and 2.0 was the worst and slowest of all. 0.8 was always the best,
but 0.9 worked fine too. I wanted to go back to 0.9, but could not
find where to download those older versions. I guess they no longer
want people using these older version so they dont have the downloads
availabl anymore. Fortunately I had saved the download of 0.8 on my
hard drive, so I installed that. I'll install 0.9 again if I can find
where to download it. I will never go higher than that. Starting
with 1.x I had nothing but trouble. Firefox should have stuck with
their original format they had prior to 1.0. It was a great program
till they ruined it. If I find 0.9, this time I will save the
download.

Leonidas Jones

suitn'tie@________.com wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:55:53 +0100, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> *suitn'tie@________.com* wrote on 15.12.06 02:17:
>>> That dont seem to be in this version.

>> Your version is over two years old now, how about updating?

>>> How do I get to that about:config thing?

>> Just type it into the adress-field and hit enter.
>>
>> HTH, M.

> I got *about config* opened, but still cant find any way to change the
> tab thing.
>
> I already upgraded, had far too many problems with the later versions,
> and 2.0 was the worst and slowest of all. 0.8 was always the best,
> but 0.9 worked fine too. I wanted to go back to 0.9, but could not
> find where to download those older versions. I guess they no longer
> want people using these older version so they dont have the downloads
> availabl anymore. Fortunately I had saved the download of 0.8 on my
> hard drive, so I installed that. I'll install 0.9 again if I can find
> where to download it. I will never go higher than that. Starting
> with 1.x I had nothing but trouble. Firefox should have stuck with
> their original format they had prior to 1.0. It was a great program
> till they ruined it. If I find 0.9, this time I will save the
> download.

Its in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I find 2.0 to be far and away
the best version released yet.

You really mean 0.9, not 1.0.9? It is over two and a half years old? It
seems the archives at mozilla.org don't go back further then 1.0. You
can try here, though it appears to be Windows only:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox

The big problem is that with a version that old, most of us are not
going to remember how it worked, in order to provide support, so you're
pretty much on your own.

Lee

suitn'tie@________.com

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:32:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>suitn'tie@________.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:55:53 +0100, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Your version is over two years old now, how about updating?

>>> Just type it into the adress-field and hit enter.
>>>
>>> HTH, M.

>> I got *about config* opened, but still cant find any way to change the
>> tab thing.
>>
>> I already upgraded, had far too many problems with the later versions,
>> and 2.0 was the worst and slowest of all. 0.8 was always the best,
>> but 0.9 worked fine too. I wanted to go back to 0.9, but could not
>> find where to download those older versions. I guess they no longer
>> want people using these older version so they dont have the downloads
>> availabl anymore. Fortunately I had saved the download of 0.8 on my
>> hard drive, so I installed that. I'll install 0.9 again if I can find
>> where to download it. I will never go higher than that. Starting
>> with 1.x I had nothing but trouble. Firefox should have stuck with
>> their original format they had prior to 1.0. It was a great program
>> till they ruined it. If I find 0.9, this time I will save the
>> download.

>Its in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I find 2.0 to be far and away
>the best version released yet.
>
>You really mean 0.9, not 1.0.9? It is over two and a half years old? It
>seems the archives at mozilla.org don't go back further then 1.0. You
>can try here, though it appears to be Windows only:
>
>http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox
>
>The big problem is that with a version that old, most of us are not
>going to remember how it worked, in order to provide support, so you're
>pretty much on your own.
>
>Lee

Thanks for the link. I like that site, it's about time there is a
place to download older stuff. As with most software, it starts out
weak. If it survives, it gets to a point where it's good (if not
great), then the authors feel it needs to be upgraded again and again,
because some people seem to thing that old software is junk. So they
upgrade it, and thats when it gets bloated and becomes unstable. Yes,
0.9 is what I want, anything above 1.0 is far too unstable and crashes
far too often. If these software authors would only remember the KISS
theory (keep it simple stupid). I refuse to use anything above FF 0.9
the same way I wont install windows XP. Win98 is just fine.
Paint software is the worst. Photoshop is a prime example (as is all
Adobe software). I use the old free version of Paint Shop Pro, and I
still use version 3.12. Now they are up to version 9 or 10. What a
waste of drive space and the thing is so damn bloated and slow it's
useless. It's a shame that so many people force software authors to
keep adding junk to their software and thus ruining it.

Leonidas Jones

suitn'tie@________.com wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:32:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> suitn'tie@________.com wrote:

>>> I got *about config* opened, but still cant find any way to change the
>>> tab thing.
>>>
>>> I already upgraded, had far too many problems with the later versions,
>>> and 2.0 was the worst and slowest of all. 0.8 was always the best,
>>> but 0.9 worked fine too. I wanted to go back to 0.9, but could not
>>> find where to download those older versions. I guess they no longer
>>> want people using these older version so they dont have the downloads
>>> availabl anymore. Fortunately I had saved the download of 0.8 on my
>>> hard drive, so I installed that. I'll install 0.9 again if I can find
>>> where to download it. I will never go higher than that. Starting
>>> with 1.x I had nothing but trouble. Firefox should have stuck with
>>> their original format they had prior to 1.0. It was a great program
>>> till they ruined it. If I find 0.9, this time I will save the
>>> download.

>> Its in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I find 2.0 to be far and away
>> the best version released yet.
>>
>> You really mean 0.9, not 1.0.9? It is over two and a half years old? It
>> seems the archives at mozilla.org don't go back further then 1.0. You
>> can try here, though it appears to be Windows only:
>>
>> http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox
>>
>> The big problem is that with a version that old, most of us are not
>> going to remember how it worked, in order to provide support, so you're
>> pretty much on your own.
>>
>> Lee

> Thanks for the link. I like that site, it's about time there is a
> place to download older stuff. As with most software, it starts out
> weak. If it survives, it gets to a point where it's good (if not
> great), then the authors feel it needs to be upgraded again and again,
> because some people seem to thing that old software is junk. So they
> upgrade it, and thats when it gets bloated and becomes unstable. Yes,
> 0.9 is what I want, anything above 1.0 is far too unstable and crashes
> far too often. If these software authors would only remember the KISS
> theory (keep it simple stupid). I refuse to use anything above FF 0.9
> the same way I wont install windows XP. Win98 is just fine.
> Paint software is the worst. Photoshop is a prime example (as is all
> Adobe software). I use the old free version of Paint Shop Pro, and I
> still use version 3.12. Now they are up to version 9 or 10. What a
> waste of drive space and the thing is so damn bloated and slow it's
> useless. It's a shame that so many people force software authors to
> keep adding junk to their software and thus ruining it.

That's fine if it works for you. Just realize there will not be much in
the way of support. Finding extensions that work on 0.9 is going to be
tricky. However, if that is not important to your use, great.

As to your original problem, I have no idea if the fix is the same in
0.9 as it is in 1.5 and 2.0, but try typing about:config into your
location bar and find the following pref:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose

If it is there, change the value to true.

Lee

suitn'tie@________.com

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:27:35 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>suitn'tie@________.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:32:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Its in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I find 2.0 to be far and away
>>> the best version released yet.
>>>
>>> You really mean 0.9, not 1.0.9? It is over two and a half years old? It
>>> seems the archives at mozilla.org don't go back further then 1.0. You
>>> can try here, though it appears to be Windows only:
>>>
>>> http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox
>>>
>>> The big problem is that with a version that old, most of us are not
>>> going to remember how it worked, in order to provide support, so you're
>>> pretty much on your own.
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Thanks for the link. I like that site, it's about time there is a
>> place to download older stuff. As with most software, it starts out
>> weak. If it survives, it gets to a point where it's good (if not
>> great), then the authors feel it needs to be upgraded again and again,
>> because some people seem to thing that old software is junk. So they
>> upgrade it, and thats when it gets bloated and becomes unstable. Yes,
>> 0.9 is what I want, anything above 1.0 is far too unstable and crashes
>> far too often. If these software authors would only remember the KISS
>> theory (keep it simple stupid). I refuse to use anything above FF 0.9
>> the same way I wont install windows XP. Win98 is just fine.
>> Paint software is the worst. Photoshop is a prime example (as is all
>> Adobe software). I use the old free version of Paint Shop Pro, and I
>> still use version 3.12. Now they are up to version 9 or 10. What a
>> waste of drive space and the thing is so damn bloated and slow it's
>> useless. It's a shame that so many people force software authors to
>> keep adding junk to their software and thus ruining it.

>That's fine if it works for you. Just realize there will not be much in
>the way of support. Finding extensions that work on 0.9 is going to be
>tricky. However, if that is not important to your use, great.
>
>As to your original problem, I have no idea if the fix is the same in
>0.9 as it is in 1.5 and 2.0, but try typing about:config into your
>location bar and find the following pref:
>
>browser.tabs.warnOnClose
>
>If it is there, change the value to true.
>
>Lee

Thanks for the help. I only want to find one extension and that is
one to kill macromedia flash. I got a thing that does it in IE, but
it dont work with FF or any other browser. Otherwise I am pretty well
happy with FF0.9 as it stands. I used to always have the tabs ask me
if I wanted to close all of them, so I believe 0.9 has that option.
Apparently 0.8 did not.

Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won. rantingrick Python 95 07-18-2011 11:07 PM
Close all tabs Geopelia NZ Computing 7 08-24-2007 11:43 AM
CSV::Writer... Using tabs instead of commas (or creating excel file using tabs to seperate data) John Kopanas Ruby 2 01-29-2007 06:26 PM
List text files showing LFs and expanded tabs (was: Colorize expanded tabs) qwweeeit Python 2 12-14-2005 10:07 AM

Advertisments