Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > What stops the handshake

What stops the handshake

professorguy professorguy is offline
Member

I want to establish a socket connection to a remote machine. I have this simple ACL:

SITE A
------
access-list acl_inside permit ip host 10.1.1.1 host 20.2.2.2
access-group acl_inside in interface inside

At remote SITE B, they have no access-list applied to the inside interface, so all traffic should be allowed back out.

I can ping the remote machine so the basic connectivity is there, but I cannot establish a tcp session so I don't seem to be receiving the SYN-ACK from them. What could stop it?

Just to make it a bit more interesting, there's a vpn tunnel between the sites, but it seems to be up and running fine (and the ping works across it). Since both sides do a sysopt connection permit-ipsec, the outside interface ACLs are not consulted here.

Any ideas would be useful. TIA.

professorguy professorguy is offline
Member

Because the static NAT being done on the remote end was incorrect, I asked for one machine (the intended mapped address) but got a different one (the actual mapped address). That one had no listener bound to the port I was telnetting to.

Ethereal quickly revealed that I was getting RST/ACKs which of course are tcp refusals. Once the addressing was fixed, the correct machine answered with SYN/ACKs as normal.