Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless router Tips

Wireless router Tips

loran

What it the best way to completly lockdown an wireless router for home
network. I want it so if someone what to get on that they would have a hard
time getting in. I don't want to buy any software, but if i have to can you
tell me what ones, and i will thnik about it. Can you help me?

Sooner Al [MVP]

"loran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What it the best way to completly lockdown an wireless router for home
> network. I want it so if someone what to get on that they would have a
> hard time getting in. I don't want to buy any software, but if i have to
> can you tell me what ones, and i will thnik about it. Can you help me?

Look at these general wireless security guidelines...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

RJK

Depending on the security features available in your particular router, here
are a few facts I've gleaned from digging around the web.

Turn on the NAT firewall.
Turn off Upnp, unless you have a specific need for it.
Turn off simple file sharing and printing unless you need it.
Block ActiveX and Java unless you have a specific need for it
Use 128 bit WPA rather than WEP, it's supposed to be more secure.
Make use of the Mac addresses of client PC's and laptops that are wirelessly
connecting to the router.
e.g. in my Linksys adsl modem/router WAG354G I can make settings to "only
allow computers named on the following MAC address list to connect."

Trouble is, I've just changed to an "Orange Livebox" which contains VERY
inadequate and vague, or if your prefer, "non-specific" modem/router
settings, (compared to the Linksys menus and settings), and there doesn't
seem to ""connections restriction control," feature like that mentioned
above in the Linksys, in the Orange Livebox.

I'm currently exploring lots of other issues regarding wifi

regards, Richard

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "loran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What it the best way to completly lockdown an wireless router for home
>> network. I want it so if someone what to get on that they would have a
>> hard time getting in. I don't want to buy any software, but if i have to
>> can you tell me what ones, and i will thnik about it. Can you help me?
>>

> Look at these general wireless security guidelines...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
With current Wireless Routers the most secure setting is to use WPA+AES.
If you do not have a Router buy one that can do WPA+AES.
If you have a Router that can Not do WPA+AES, using WPA+PSK would be the
preferred mode.
If you have a Route that can do only WEP, and you are concern about security
it might be a good time to upgrade.
Make sure that you have a Wireless card that use it too.
WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).