Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Message filters

Message filters

Dalziel

Hi

I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this option,
the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

Thanks

Dalziel

SteveG

Dalziel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this option,
> the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dalziel

Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
address" then "Fetch from server"

Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
identity that you want.

--
Regards

Steve G

Doug Chadduck

Dalziel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this option,
> the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dalziel

Separate profiles?

How does server know if it's for you or for your wife?
Don't you have different e-mail addresses?

To many questions

Dalziel

SteveG wrote:
> Dalziel wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
>> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this
>> option, the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
>> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
>> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
>> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
>> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dalziel

> Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
> address" then "Fetch from server"
>
> Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
> the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
> identity that you want.

Hi SteveG

Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
"doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.

Your help was very much appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Dalziel

Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com

Dalziel wrote:
> SteveG wrote:
> > Dalziel wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I'm trying to create an email filter in Thunderbird to NOT download my
> >> wife's emails but to leave it on the server. As I don't see this
> >> option, the best I can do at the moment is to forward it on to her.
> >> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
> >> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
> >> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
> >> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Dalziel

> > Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
> > address" then "Fetch from server"
> >
> > Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
> > the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
> > identity that you want.
> >

> Hi SteveG
>
> Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
> "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
> little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
>
> Your help was very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks & regards
>
> Dalziel

Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
address. Your email address is, for example,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). You can have it:

Dalziel at (E-Mail Removed)
Wife at (E-Mail Removed)
kids at (E-Mail Removed)

and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.

Dalziel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Dalziel wrote:
>> SteveG wrote:

>>> Create a filter so that if the "To" "doesn't contain" "your wife's email
>>> address" then "Fetch from server"
>>>
>>> Alternatively, set up separate identities for yourself and your wife in
>>> the account settings. Then when you go to get mail just select the
>>> identity that you want.
>>>

>> Hi SteveG
>>
>> Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
>> "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
>> little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
>>
>> Your help was very much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks & regards
>>
>> Dalziel

> Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
> address. Your email address is, for example,
> (E-Mail Removed). You can have it:
>
> Dalziel at (E-Mail Removed)
> Wife at (E-Mail Removed)
> kids at (E-Mail Removed)
>
> and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
> on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
> the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.

Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

Dalziel wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Dalziel wrote:

> >> Hi SteveG
> >>
> >> Many thanks for your invaluable advise. I have set the filter to
> >> "doesn't contain". Hopefully this should work. The other method is a
> >> little more daunting for me so will only resort to it if this fails.
> >>
> >> Your help was very much appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks & regards
> >>
> >> Dalziel

> > Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
> > address. Your email address is, for example,
> > (E-Mail Removed). You can have it:
> >
> > Dalziel at (E-Mail Removed)
> > Wife at (E-Mail Removed)
> > kids at (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
> > on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
> > the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.
> >

> Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
> create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
> is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

No, no, no, no, you're not following. You don't create another
"identity" for your computer. And you don't create another profile for
TB. You create another identity for your email address. Click on
Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and look at the area that
says Your Name. This is where the identities come into play. You can
have as many as you want there. Lets take my address. Its:
(E-Mail Removed)

Now, I can have Heavens at (E-Mail Removed)
or I can have Mother at (E-Mail Removed)
or I can have Business at (E-Mail Removed)
or I can put a million other names.

Mother, Business, Heavens, or whatever, would be placed into the Name
section of that email account. Now, for you, you have one identity
called Wife and the other called Dalziel. So, when mail comes in with
the Name of Wife, then the filter could kick in and not download it.
And all the mail addresses to Dalziel would be downloaded. On her set
up, she would have the opposite. Anything that comes in with the name
of Dalziel would not be downloaded. And anything for Wife would be.

To set up these identities, you do it by clicking on the Manage
Identities button Does this explain things futher?

Charani

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:47:41 +0000, Dalziel wrote:

> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

My husband and I have our own computers but I don't get his mails and
he doesn't get mine irrespective of who logs on first. We have our
own email accounts set up on our own machines. We don't share email
accounts.

Dalziel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Dalziel wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Identities are real simple. You can have many identities for one email
>>> address. Your email address is, for example,
>>> (E-Mail Removed). You can have it:
>>>
>>> Dalziel at (E-Mail Removed)
>>> Wife at (E-Mail Removed)
>>> kids at (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> and so forth. So now, when something comes in that says Wife, filter
>>> on that. To find identities look under Tools, Account Settings, select
>>> the account, and on the bottom right is Manage Identities.
>>>

>> Thank you for that. But as it is only my wife and myself I'd rather not
>> create any identities. She has her own computer. Unless, of course there
>> is another advantage to having another identity on my computer?

> No, no, no, no, you're not following. You don't create another
> "identity" for your computer. And you don't create another profile for
> TB. You create another identity for your email address. Click on
> Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and look at the area that
> says Your Name. This is where the identities come into play. You can
> have as many as you want there. Lets take my address. Its:
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Now, I can have Heavens at (E-Mail Removed)
> or I can have Mother at (E-Mail Removed)
> or I can have Business at (E-Mail Removed)
> or I can put a million other names.
>
> Mother, Business, Heavens, or whatever, would be placed into the Name
> section of that email account. Now, for you, you have one identity
> called Wife and the other called Dalziel. So, when mail comes in with
> the Name of Wife, then the filter could kick in and not download it.
> And all the mail addresses to Dalziel would be downloaded. On her set
> up, she would have the opposite. Anything that comes in with the name
> of Dalziel would not be downloaded. And anything for Wife would be.
>
> To set up these identities, you do it by clicking on the Manage
> Identities button Does this explain things futher?

Oops! Misunderstood you first time. Yes, I see what you mean. Looked
briefly at it and will revisit it again shortly.
Right now I'm still learning Thunderbird by trial & error! Only been
using it a week or so but still have OE as my default email client. Soon
as I am comfortable with Thunderbird I shall make it the default email
handler. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my my replies to
show at the top of the message rather than at the bottom. And how to
find my questions at a later date in the NG. In OE I just had to press
Control+ H.
Again thanks for the help and support.

Regards

Dalziel

Dalziel

Charani wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:47:41 +0000, Dalziel wrote:
>
>> She has her own computer and whoever logs on first gets the other's
>> emails. In Outlook Express I can create a rule to not d/l it from the
>> server and block it on my computer. Is there a way around this or an
>> extension that adds this facility to Thunderbird?

> My husband and I have our own computers but I don't get his mails and
> he doesn't get mine irrespective of who logs on first. We have our
> own email accounts set up on our own machines. We don't share email
> accounts.

Hi Charani

Sorry, I did not see your message before. Thunderbird appears to have
the replies all over the place and not grouped together. Could be me of
course as I am a newbie to Thunderbird.
My wife and I also have our own email accounts but from the same domain.
Hence anything @domain.com goes to whoever logs on first unless we put a
filter on it. The filters now appear to work after taking advise from
SteveG and Heavensto murgatroid.

Regards

Dalziel