Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using Two Wireless Cards in One Computer

Using Two Wireless Cards in One Computer

Dan

I have two XP Home boxes, one wired and one wireless. The wired box
has a printer that I'd like to share with the wireless box. However,
the wireless box is a bridge to another network, and I've read that
sharing isn't do-able.

If I add a second wireless card to my bridge PC, can I use it to share
the printer?

Thanks,
Dan

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The term Bridged is a very general one it depends how it Bridged.
In any case, you can put a second NIC and connected it to the other Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I have two XP Home boxes, one wired and one wireless. The wired box
> has a printer that I'd like to share with the wireless box. However,
> the wireless box is a bridge to another network, and I've read that
> sharing isn't do-able.
>
> If I add a second wireless card to my bridge PC, can I use it to share
> the printer?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Dan

Thanks for your speedy reply.

The wireless box is a Windows XP bridge, which is to say that I created
it in Network Connections by highlighting the two network connections,
right-clicking on one of them, and then choosing Bridge Connections.

So, the wireless box already has two NIC's, but can't see the printer
on another machine on one of the networks that it is connected to.
However, the machine that has the printer can see the shared folder on
the box that serves as the bridge.

Is there a way to get the box running as a bridge to see that printer
in its present configuration?

If not, could I have three cards, with two of them acting as the bridge
between the networks, and the third serving as an independent
connection to the network with the printer?

David Hettel

So, the wireless box already has two NIC's, but can't see the printer on
another machine on one of the networks that it is connected to. However, the
machine that has the printer can see the shared folder on the box that
serves as the bridge.

Is there a router between the two machines (is one machine using say a
192.168.0.xxx 255.255.255.0 IP address and the other a 192.168.2.xxx
255.255.255.0 IP address)? If not it sounds like a firewall problem to me
and simply adding another NIC may not help.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks for your speedy reply.
>
> The wireless box is a Windows XP bridge, which is to say that I created
> it in Network Connections by highlighting the two network connections,
> right-clicking on one of them, and then choosing Bridge Connections.
>
> So, the wireless box already has two NIC's, but can't see the printer
> on another machine on one of the networks that it is connected to.
> However, the machine that has the printer can see the shared folder on
> the box that serves as the bridge.
>
> Is there a way to get the box running as a bridge to see that printer
> in its present configuration?
>
> If not, could I have three cards, with two of them acting as the bridge
> between the networks, and the third serving as an independent
> connection to the network with the printer?

Dan

The two machines are connected to the same router, so their IP
addresses differ only in the last octet. The box with the attached
printer is running TrendMicro's PC-cillin 2006, which I'll have to
examine.

I think I'll disable it, first, and see if that fixes my problem.