Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Drop Down Menus Don't Work in Firefox

Drop Down Menus Don't Work in Firefox

Sam Bench

I took over a church web site and discovered a problem. The site was
designed for IE and works well with IE. It uses drop down menus triggered
by an image map. The menus are stored in a server side include. I just
discovered that the menus don't operate in Firefox or Opera. This is a
problem I need to fix since the site is inaccessible to people using those
browsers. The address for the site is: http://www.norwinalliance.org/

Any ideas on how to get the menus to work in Firefox would be greatly
appreciated.

Manatee Memories

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:35:56 -0500, in alt.fan.mozilla, "Sam Bench"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I took over a church web site and discovered a problem. The site was
>designed for IE and works well with IE. It uses drop down menus triggered
>by an image map. The menus are stored in a server side include. I just
>discovered that the menus don't operate in Firefox or Opera. This is a
>problem I need to fix since the site is inaccessible to people using those
>browsers. The address for the site is: http://www.norwinalliance.org/
>
>Any ideas on how to get the menus to work in Firefox would be greatly
>appreciated.

When I opened that site via the Firefox IE Tab extension
(https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/), the desired menus were
found, and usable.

--

"The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
- Harlan Ellison

Vangard

> When I opened that site via the Firefox IE Tab extension
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/), the desired menus were
> found, and usable.

Doesn't seem to work without it though.

I would suggest to the original poster to just rewrite the page without the pull down menus, they're not necessary, just keep it simple.

Leonidas Jones

Vangard wrote:

>> When I opened that site via the Firefox IE Tab extension
>> (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/), the desired menus were
>> found, and usable.

> Doesn't seem to work without it though.
>
> I would suggest to the original poster to just rewrite the page without
> the pull down menus, they're not necessary, just keep it simple.

Or he could use javascript pull downs, since the problem seems to be
with the image map.

Lee

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:35:56 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sam Bench wrote:

> I took over a church web site and discovered a problem. The site was
> designed for IE and works well with IE. It uses drop down menus triggered
> by an image map. The menus are stored in a server side include. I just
> discovered that the menus don't operate in Firefox or Opera. This is a
> problem I need to fix since the site is inaccessible to people using those
> browsers. The address for the site is: http://www.norwinalliance.org/
>
> Any ideas on how to get the menus to work in Firefox would be greatly
> appreciated.

The javascript code needs a very small amount of updating.

Here is what to change in the source code for the home page.
For the other pages, the changes appear to be very similar.

Open the HTML source code in a plain text editor, and make these
two changes

1. Between the old lines 74 and 75, add a new line
var W3CDOM = (document.getElementById ? 1 : 0);
as shown below, so that the HTML source code
will now look like this.

~~~~~~~~~~NEW VERSION~~~~~~~~~~
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
<!--
window.onerror = null;
var W3CDOM = (document.getElementById ? 1 : 0);
var bName = navigator.appName;
var bVer = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
var NS4 = (bName == "Netscape" && bVer >= 4);
var IE4 = (bName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && bVer >= 4);
var NS3 = (bName == "Netscape" && bVer < 4);
var IE3 = (bName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && bVer < 4);
~~~~~~~~~~NEW VERSION~~~~~~~~~~

2. Modify the javscript functions showlayer() and hidelayer()
on old lines 97-116 as shown below (new lines 98-125)

~~~~~~~~~~OLD VERSION~~~~~~~~~~
// SHOW MENU
function showLayer(layerName){
if (NS4 || IE4) {
if (timeOn != null) {
clearTimeout(timeOn)
hideLayer(onLayer)
}
if (NS4 || IE4) {
eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="visible"');
}
onLayer = layerName
}
}// HIDE MENU
function hideLayer(layerName){
if (menuActive == 0) {
if (NS4 || IE4) {
eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="hidden"');
}
}
}// TIMER FOR BUTTON MOUSE OUT
~~~~~~~~~~OLD VERSION~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~NEW VERSION~~~~~~~~~~
// SHOW MENU
function showLayer(layerName){
if (W3CDOM || NS4 || IE4) {
if (timeOn != null) {
clearTimeout(timeOn)
hideLayer(onLayer)
}
if ( W3CDOM ) {
document.getElementById(layerName).style.visibilit y="visible";
}
else
if (NS4 || IE4) {
eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="visible"');
}
onLayer = layerName
}
}// HIDE MENU
function hideLayer(layerName){
if (menuActive == 0) {
if ( W3CDOM ) {
document.getElementById(layerName).style.visibilit y="hidden";
}
else
if (NS4 || IE4) {
eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="hidden"');
}
}
}// TIMER FOR BUTTON MOUSE OUT
~~~~~~~~~~NEW VERSION~~~~~~~~~~

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Sam Bench

Thanks for the input. How can you tell that the problem is with the image
map?

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jsKeh.178420$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vangard wrote:
>
>>> When I opened that site via the Firefox IE Tab extension
>>> (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/), the desired menus were
>>> found, and usable.

>> Doesn't seem to work without it though.
>>
>> I would suggest to the original poster to just rewrite the page without
>> the pull down menus, they're not necessary, just keep it simple.
>>

> Or he could use javascript pull downs, since the problem seems to be with
> the image map.
>
> Lee

Sam Bench

Ralph,

It worked!! Thank you very much. I was about to junk the whole site and
start over again because of the menu problem in Firefox and Opera. You are
a lifesaver!!

"Ralph Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> hideLayer(onLayer)
> }
> if ( W3CDOM ) {
> document.getElementById(layerName).style.visibilit y="visible";
> }
> else
> if (NS4 || IE4) {
> eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="visible"');
> }
> onLayer = layerName
> }
> }// HIDE MENU
> function hideLayer(layerName){
> if (menuActive == 0) {
> if ( W3CDOM ) {
> document.getElementById(layerName).style.visibilit y="hidden";
> }
> else
> if (NS4 || IE4) {
> eval(layerRef+'["'+layerName+'"]'+styleSwitch+'.visibility="hidden"');

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:06:01 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sam Bench wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> It worked!! Thank you very much. I was about to junk the whole site and
> start over again because of the menu problem in Firefox and Opera. You are
> a lifesaver!!

You're welcome.