Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connected, but always "Acquiring Network Address"

Connected, but always "Acquiring Network Address"

mlowrie@vendetta.ca

I've done some searching about this, but haven't been able to find any
resolution but I have come across something interesting.

Here's the layout:
Laptop with wireless card
Linksys WRT54G operating as an access point
Separate firewall that runs DHCP for entire network
Multiple computers and peripherals on network that obtain address and
such from DHCP server (no other wireless connections though)

Here's the situation:
Boot up laptop
Wireless connects to WRT54G and starts to obtain IP address from DHCP
server - DHCP server on the wireless router is disabled
Obtains IP address and DNS/WINS from DHCP - but still states "acquiring
IP address"
I can access everything that my network offers via the wireless
connection but no matter how long the system is running, it will always
say "Acquiring network address" and the animated icon in the system
tray does it's little animation.

Upon looking around for possible misconfigurations, I came across this:
Wireless connected but is still "Acquiring network address"
Go to control panel, network connections, and select properties for
wireless connection
Without changing anything, click ok
Suddenly, the wireless client is "Connected"

So.... anyone know what could be going on? Even though I don't change
any settings, clicking on OK seems to fix the problem for the current
session (until wireless disconnects).

Anyone else with this problem - can you replicate this?

Mike

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I do not have a direct answer to the specific problem, but I can describe
what I would do if I have such problem.
I would disconnect the Linksys from the first Router, enable its DHCP, and
see if I can maintain normal Wireless connection between the Wireless
computers and the Linksys on it own (I.e. the Wireless client would obtain
an IP and would "calm" down). If the same issue, as described by you,
persists with the Wireless Router only. I would uninstall and reinstall the
Wireless components of my Network.
If the Wireless works OK with the Linksys on its own I would make sure the
Wireless Router is configured as is should in order to act as a passive
Access Point.
The Wireless WRT54G core IP should be on the same subnet as the first
Router.
The Wireless Router WAN should be left open and the device should be
connected through a regular port to a regular port on the first Router
(using crossover cable if the ports are not MDX).
The Linksys Wireless DHCP should be turned Off.
If the introduction of the first Router while the Linksys act as a passive
Access Point brings back the phenomenon, I would try replacing the first
Router with another one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've done some searching about this, but haven't been able to find any
> resolution but I have come across something interesting.
>
> Here's the layout:
> Laptop with wireless card
> Linksys WRT54G operating as an access point
> Separate firewall that runs DHCP for entire network
> Multiple computers and peripherals on network that obtain address and
> such from DHCP server (no other wireless connections though)
>
> Here's the situation:
> Boot up laptop
> Wireless connects to WRT54G and starts to obtain IP address from DHCP
> server - DHCP server on the wireless router is disabled
> Obtains IP address and DNS/WINS from DHCP - but still states "acquiring
> IP address"
> I can access everything that my network offers via the wireless
> connection but no matter how long the system is running, it will always
> say "Acquiring network address" and the animated icon in the system
> tray does it's little animation.
>
> Upon looking around for possible misconfigurations, I came across this:
> Wireless connected but is still "Acquiring network address"
> Go to control panel, network connections, and select properties for
> wireless connection
> Without changing anything, click ok
> Suddenly, the wireless client is "Connected"
>
> So.... anyone know what could be going on? Even though I don't change
> any settings, clicking on OK seems to fix the problem for the current
> session (until wireless disconnects).
>
> Anyone else with this problem - can you replicate this?
>
> Mike

wxmark wxmark is offline
Junior Member

After spending 4 hours ( 2 of them on the phone with linksys support) trying to fix this problem I finally got it work.

I finally was able to acquire the IP address by changing the routers encyption to WEP setting and by changing the signal to N only, instead of mixed.

Good luck.