Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Extending wireless network approx 500 feet

Extending wireless network approx 500 feet

Homer Jay

Is it possible to extend a wireless network to about 500 feet (from one
house to another)? and if so what equipment would most likely be required?

Both houses are directly opposite one another, there are no other
buildings/tree's etc in between. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G in one
house, the other house has a wired netgear router. Would I need to purchase
a 2nd WRT54G and configure this as an access point on the Netgear router?
and would an external antenna then help to provide the signal? If so what
kind of antenna?

Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

If you have a direct line of sight and No obstructions you can try to bridge
with highly Directional Antennae, you need to place the Antennae Outdoors
facing one the other.

If you would like to maintain Wireless through each site as well, you would
need two Wireless Routers, or Access Point s that can work as Bridges, or
Clients ( http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html )

Linksys and Netgear Wireless Routers do not do Bridging as is. You can use
them as the inside Wireless devices and get two additional Wireless devices
that can Bridge.

These are a good Wireless Routers that can Bridge and it is in comparison to
other devices is inexpensive.

More info and type of setting here, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Homer Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to extend a wireless network to about 500 feet (from one
> house to another)? and if so what equipment would most likely be required?
>
> Both houses are directly opposite one another, there are no other
> buildings/tree's etc in between. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G in one
> house, the other house has a wired netgear router. Would I need to
> purchase a 2nd WRT54G and configure this as an access point on the Netgear
> router? and would an external antenna then help to provide the signal? If
> so what kind of antenna?
>
> Thanks.

NetSteady

You'll want to look at a Signal Seeker. http://www.signal-seeker.com.