Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > When is firefox going to get with the times?

When is firefox going to get with the times?

noemailaddy@myoffice.com

When is firefox going to get with the times?

The longer I use Firefox the more I hate it. It used to be a nice
simple browser that worked fairly well as long as you stuck to html
content and did not try to play anything beyond that. Lately, FF is
just getting more and more bloated and yet they never address the
issues about compatibility with web content and still have these
ignorant plugins that dont work more often than they do.
FF is heading completely in the wrong direction. I know IE has its
security flaws, but it works one hell of alot better than FF.

For example, I just got to a website that had some video requiring
Windows Media Player. Of course I get that irritating popup telling
me I need a plugin. I go to get the plugin, and it tells me I need to
download ALL of Windows Media Player. EXCUSE ME.... The ****ing
program IS installed on my computer, and I sure as hell am not goinhg
to download that 28meg file again, which would most likely not work
anyhow. If FF cant detect an installed version of Windows Media
Player, it's definately ****ed.

I copied the URL and pasted it to IE and everything worked fine. FF
appears to be losing it. Id estimate that over 90% of all PC users
have WMP installed, yet brain dead FF cant use it. I think its time
to set IE as my default browser again. This is getting rediculous.
Who needs a browser that is not compatible with common Microsoft files
and which still can not render a webpage properly.

IE is still the best browser out there, if only MS would fix the
security issues. FF is dying, Opera is a piece of ****, Netscape is
dead unless you use AOL, and there is not much else out there...

FoxWolfie Galen

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:31:39 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> When is firefox going to get with the times?
>
> The longer I use Firefox the more I hate it. It used to be a nice
> simple browser that worked fairly well as long as you stuck to html
> content and did not try to play anything beyond that. Lately, FF is
> just getting more and more bloated and yet they never address the
> issues about compatibility with web content and still have these
> ignorant plugins that dont work more often than they do.
> FF is heading completely in the wrong direction. I know IE has its
> security flaws, but it works one hell of alot better than FF.

More bloated, doesn't work well, not as good as IE? Is someone holding a
gun to your head forcing you to keep using it? If IE is better, why not
use it then? I cannot agree with your claim of Fx being bloated. It's
actually stayed close to the same size for several years, yet it performs
faster and has more features with each new version. A faster browser that
does more and doesn't eat up more space, is not what I would call bloated.
Just look how little the size has increased since some past versions. Try
comparing that to IE!

Firefox 0.8 6,500,352 bytes
Firefox 1.0.8 4,833,296 bytes
Firefox 1.5 5,225,384 bytes
Firefox 2.0 5,900,416 bytes

> For example, I just got to a website that had some video requiring
> Windows Media Player. Of course I get that irritating popup telling
> me I need a plugin. I go to get the plugin, and it tells me I need to
> download ALL of Windows Media Player.

It works fine for me, without asking for me to download the player again.
I'll admit that there are a few sites that don't work, but most Media
Player video sites work well. The few that don't work seem to be purposely
writing IE-specific code, just so people will have to use IE. I just hit
the back button on such sites, as they've always turned out to be not worth
my time.
--
FoxWolfie

Karl S

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:43:43 -0500, FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

> It works fine for me, without asking for me to download the player again.
> I'll admit that there are a few sites that don't work, but most Media
> Player video sites work well. The few that don't work seem to be purposely
> writing IE-specific code, just so people will have to use IE. I just hit
> the back button on such sites, as they've always turned out to be not worth
> my time.

Many people, me included, have this problem with videos on the CNN.com
site. I have tried many fixes, but none seem to work.

Karl
A happy Firefox user

Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> When is firefox going to get with the times?
>
> The longer I use Firefox the more I hate it. It used to be a nice
> simple browser that worked fairly well as long as you stuck to html
> content and did not try to play anything beyond that. Lately, FF is
> just getting more and more bloated and yet they never address the
> issues about compatibility with web content and still have these
> ignorant plugins that dont work more often than they do.
> FF is heading completely in the wrong direction. I know IE has its
> security flaws, but it works one hell of alot better than FF.
>
> For example, I just got to a website that had some video requiring
> Windows Media Player. Of course I get that irritating popup telling
> me I need a plugin. I go to get the plugin, and it tells me I need to
> download ALL of Windows Media Player. EXCUSE ME.... The ****ing
> program IS installed on my computer, and I sure as hell am not goinhg
> to download that 28meg file again, which would most likely not work
> anyhow. If FF cant detect an installed version of Windows Media
> Player, it's definately ****ed.
>
> I copied the URL and pasted it to IE and everything worked fine. FF
> appears to be losing it. Id estimate that over 90% of all PC users
> have WMP installed, yet brain dead FF cant use it. I think its time
> to set IE as my default browser again. This is getting rediculous.
> Who needs a browser that is not compatible with common Microsoft files
> and which still can not render a webpage properly.
>
> IE is still the best browser out there, if only MS would fix the
> security issues. FF is dying, Opera is a piece of ****, Netscape is
> dead unless you use AOL, and there is not much else out there...

FF works just great thank you.

When are web site developers going to create websites that are
compatible with ALL browsers. Instead, they only create sites just for
IE and IE only.

Plugins are not the responsibility of Firefox. FF has nothing to do
with them. They are created from 3rd party developers for their
programs -- IE winamp, wmp, QT, Real Audio, etc.

As for Windows Media Player, it works just fine for me. I've never had
a problem with it. Have you tried installing the registry patch:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

Leonidas Jones

Karl S wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 06:43:43 -0500, FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
>
>> It works fine for me, without asking for me to download the player again.
>> I'll admit that there are a few sites that don't work, but most Media
>> Player video sites work well. The few that don't work seem to be purposely
>> writing IE-specific code, just so people will have to use IE. I just hit
>> the back button on such sites, as they've always turned out to be not worth
>> my time.

> Many people, me included, have this problem with videos on the CNN.com
> site. I have tried many fixes, but none seem to work.
>
> Karl
> A happy Firefox user

I've never had a problem with cnn. See Heavens recommendation of the
registry patch.

Lee

SteveG

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> When is firefox going to get with the times?
>
> The longer I use Firefox the more I hate it. It used to be a nice
> simple browser that worked fairly well as long as you stuck to html
> content and did not try to play anything beyond that. Lately, FF is
> just getting more and more bloated and yet they never address the
> issues about compatibility with web content and still have these
> ignorant plugins that dont work more often than they do.
> FF is heading completely in the wrong direction. I know IE has its
> security flaws, but it works one hell of alot better than FF.
>
> For example, I just got to a website that had some video requiring
> Windows Media Player. Of course I get that irritating popup telling
> me I need a plugin. I go to get the plugin, and it tells me I need to
> download ALL of Windows Media Player. EXCUSE ME.... The ****ing
> program IS installed on my computer, and I sure as hell am not goinhg
> to download that 28meg file again, which would most likely not work
> anyhow. If FF cant detect an installed version of Windows Media
> Player, it's definately ****ed.
>
> I copied the URL and pasted it to IE and everything worked fine. FF
> appears to be losing it. Id estimate that over 90% of all PC users
> have WMP installed, yet brain dead FF cant use it. I think its time
> to set IE as my default browser again. This is getting rediculous.
> Who needs a browser that is not compatible with common Microsoft files
> and which still can not render a webpage properly.
>
> IE is still the best browser out there, if only MS would fix the
> security issues. FF is dying, Opera is a piece of ****, Netscape is
> dead unless you use AOL, and there is not much else out there...

Rather than try to rationalise with you as others have done I will
simply suggest you return your copy of Firefox for a full refund and use
IE instead. You deserve each other. Making ridiculous claims and using
offensive language simply demonstrate the level to which your intellect
has slumped - was the life guard on his break when you slipped into the
gene pool?

Oh, and please don't slam the door on the way out

--
Regards

Steve G

Andy J.

On 2006-12-04, SteveG <_@_._> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> When is firefox going to get with the times?

[..snip..]

Well, thankfully nobody is making you use it so
you can happily go on using I.E. and I for one
will not care one bit.

Andy J.

noemailaddy@myoffice.com

On 4 Dec 2006 09:37:50 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> When is firefox going to get with the times?
>>
>> The longer I use Firefox the more I hate it. It used to be a nice
>> simple browser that worked fairly well as long as you stuck to html
>> content and did not try to play anything beyond that. Lately, FF is
>> just getting more and more bloated and yet they never address the
>> issues about compatibility with web content and still have these
>> ignorant plugins that dont work more often than they do.
>> FF is heading completely in the wrong direction. I know IE has its
>> security flaws, but it works one hell of alot better than FF.
>>
>> For example, I just got to a website that had some video requiring
>> Windows Media Player. Of course I get that irritating popup telling
>> me I need a plugin. I go to get the plugin, and it tells me I need to
>> download ALL of Windows Media Player. EXCUSE ME.... The ****ing
>> program IS installed on my computer, and I sure as hell am not goinhg
>> to download that 28meg file again, which would most likely not work
>> anyhow. If FF cant detect an installed version of Windows Media
>> Player, it's definately ****ed.
>>
>> I copied the URL and pasted it to IE and everything worked fine. FF
>> appears to be losing it. Id estimate that over 90% of all PC users
>> have WMP installed, yet brain dead FF cant use it. I think its time
>> to set IE as my default browser again. This is getting rediculous.
>> Who needs a browser that is not compatible with common Microsoft files
>> and which still can not render a webpage properly.
>>
>> IE is still the best browser out there, if only MS would fix the
>> security issues. FF is dying, Opera is a piece of ****, Netscape is
>> dead unless you use AOL, and there is not much else out there...

>FF works just great thank you.
>
>When are web site developers going to create websites that are
>compatible with ALL browsers. Instead, they only create sites just for
>IE and IE only.

Which is exactly what I am saying. Obviously IE is the "accepted"
standard. So, why dont the programmers of FF make it compatible?
Woudn't this just make sense? FF can be different in every other way,
and that is actually appreciated, but the method of rendering webpages
should be the same or follow a standard. I have written a few basic
html webpages, and I found that even my SIMPLE pages did not always
work properly. Why should a web site maker have to make it compatible
with both. There should be a standard, and FF should be able to view
webpages the same as IE. It's not like there should have to be a
separate webpage for IE another for FF, another for Opera, etc.
Wether it's FF, Opera, or any other software, it should follow the IE
standards for viewing webpages. This is EXACTLY what I am complaining
about.

>Plugins are not the responsibility of Firefox. FF has nothing to do
>with them. They are created from 3rd party developers for their
>programs -- IE winamp, wmp, QT, Real Audio, etc.

Here is another problem. FF SHOULD be offering these plugins for the
common stuff like flash, media player, etc. Better yet include them
with the program. I dont want to see the download size increase
drastically, but plugins are small, and SHOULD be included for the
common things such as Media Player, etc. Everyone uses these
things..... if they are included in webpages. Why should we have to
keep adding stuff. If it's a fairly common thing used on the web,
then include the plugins. At least that way we will know they will
work and be compatible.

>As for Windows Media Player, it works just fine for me. I've never had
>a problem with it. Have you tried installing the registry patch:
>http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Ray Hobin

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:46:29 GMT, SteveG <_@_._> wrote:

>Rather than try to rationalise with you as others have done I will
>simply suggest you return your copy of Firefox for a full refund and use
>IE instead. You deserve each other. Making ridiculous claims and using
>offensive language simply demonstrate the level to which your intellect
>has slumped - was the life guard on his break when you slipped into the
>gene pool?
>
>Oh, and please don't slam the door on the way out

I am quite disappointed at those of you who "chastise" folks who have
experienced problems with FF; problems which are real. Why it affects some
and not others I am quite unqualified to answer. But I too have
experienced intermittent times when FF could not access Acrobat and Windows
Media Player.

To me this is a "bug" and the fact it is not always experienced demands,
IMO, FF, not ignore it but look into any causative facts for this
"anomaly", which is REAL.

Ray

Ray Hobin

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:31:07 -0500, Ray Hobin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:46:29 GMT, SteveG <_@_._> wrote:
>

>>Rather than try to rationalise with you as others have done I will
>>simply suggest you return your copy of Firefox for a full refund and use
>>IE instead. You deserve each other. Making ridiculous claims and using
>>offensive language simply demonstrate the level to which your intellect
>>has slumped - was the life guard on his break when you slipped into the
>>gene pool?
>>
>>Oh, and please don't slam the door on the way out

>I am quite disappointed at those of you who "chastise" folks who have
>experienced problems with FF; problems which are real. Why it affects some
>and not others I am quite unqualified to answer. But I too have
>experienced intermittent times when FF could not access Acrobat and Windows
>Media Player.
>
>To me this is a "bug" and the fact it is not always experienced demands,
>IMO, FF, not ignore it but look into any causative facts for this
>"anomaly", which is REAL.
>
>Ray

I forgot to ad that at times FF has sent me a "Message" that I need to d/l
"flash Player" which already installed.

There are "bugs" here and attacking the messenger reporting g them is
somewhat self-defeating for the improvement of FF.

Ray