Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot Access Work Group

Cannot Access Work Group

John Butler

I have a two computer comprising desktop/laptop>>internet). [Hardware is
Netgear Wireless Router WNR834B > Cable Modem]. The name of the workgroup is
WORKGROUP.
Simple file sharing is enabled on computers and network permissions enabled
in the security properties of the
All of this which has been working OK for a month. This morning after
starting the Desktop and laptop,both computers could access the internet OK
and the laptop could see and access the shared files on the desktop.
In network places the desktop could only see (and access) the designated
shared files on its own system disk: no laptop files are present. When I
attempt to view workgroup computers I get this error message
Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.
The network name cannot be found.

I have checked all the permissions and they seem to be OK, also tried
closing down, switching off and restarting the total system but the problem
remains

How can I troubleshoot this problem? Is it software on the server or has the
new Netgear router gone wrong?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Not sure what is wrong, but it is fair to say that 99.55% it has nothing to
do with the Router.
May be this can Help.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"John Butler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a two computer comprising desktop/laptop>>internet). [Hardware is
>Netgear Wireless Router WNR834B > Cable Modem]. The name of the workgroup
>is WORKGROUP.
> Simple file sharing is enabled on computers and network permissions
> enabled in the security properties of the
> All of this which has been working OK for a month. This morning after
> starting the Desktop and laptop,both computers could access the internet
> OK and the laptop could see and access the shared files on the desktop.
> In network places the desktop could only see (and access) the designated
> shared files on its own system disk: no laptop files are present. When I
> attempt to view workgroup computers I get this error message
> Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions.
> The network name cannot be found.
>
> I have checked all the permissions and they seem to be OK, also tried
> closing down, switching off and restarting the total system but the
> problem remains
>
> How can I troubleshoot this problem? Is it software on the server or has
> the new Netgear router gone wrong?

John Butler

Hi Jack

Thanks for your help. You were right to think that there was no hardware
error in the
Netgear Wireless Router WNR8. After checking through all the settings and
tips given in
your links I discovered that following an autoupdate download Windows had
changed from
running the router access as Netware wireless network to a Windows managed
wireless network.
So the network was present but not visible to desktop whereas the laptop,
which has Windows AutoUpdates
turned off could still see the network and access desktop.
Weird!
I reconfigured the wireless network to be managed by Netgear and it works OK
both ways.

Thanks for your help.

John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...