Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No wireless networks found

No wireless networks found

=?Utf-8?B?amFiYm90dA==?=

Have desktop in house with router and a couple of additional desktops
connected by cable to hub. Just bought new wireless laptop and want to use in
the house (has Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection). Replaced
router with new wireless router (old and new router both Zyxel), all software
loaded, internet/email on desktop and others working fine via hub but no
wireless to laptop, positioned only a couple of feet from router (laptop also
ok when connected with cable). Spent all day trying everything I could think
of, getting nowhere. Laptop ok because I took it to a wi-fi location to try
out, clicked the "search" icon, it located a couple of wireless networks and
alowed me to connect, all working fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim

"jabbott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have desktop in house with router and a couple of additional desktops
> connected by cable to hub. Just bought new wireless laptop and want to use
> in
> the house (has Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection). Replaced
> router with new wireless router (old and new router both Zyxel), all
> software
> loaded, internet/email on desktop and others working fine via hub but no
> wireless to laptop, positioned only a couple of feet from router (laptop
> also
> ok when connected with cable). Spent all day trying everything I could
> think
> of, getting nowhere. Laptop ok because I took it to a wi-fi location to
> try
> out, clicked the "search" icon, it located a couple of wireless networks
> and
> alowed me to connect, all working fine. Any help would be much
> appreciated.

Aren't those wi-fi locations using an unsecured connection ?
Isn't the one at your house using an encryption scheme?
If so, are you certain that the encryption keys match?
I had a very hard time getting the key correct...

Jim

=?Utf-8?B?amFiYm90dA==?=

"Jim" wrote:

> [...]

>> > try
>> > out, clicked the "search" icon, it located a couple of wireless
>> > networks
>> > and
>> > alowed me to connect, all working fine. Any help would be much
>> > appreciated.

>> Aren't those wi-fi locations using an unsecured connection ?
>> Isn't the one at your house using an encryption scheme?
>> If so, are you certain that the encryption keys match?
>> I had a very hard time getting the key correct...
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Now you have me, dont know about unsecured/secured, or encryption keys.
>> Just thought I switched stuff on and it worked, silly me. With this key
>> thing, how do I ensure one matches the other? I am not a total novice,
>> but not well informed either. I usually manage to sort stuff out with a
>> little knowledge, a few tips and a LOT of time.

In my case, I took the laptop upstairs to allow me to copy the key from the
screen of the desktop (the desktop was accessing the key from the router).
I got the key on the laptop correct on about the third or so try.

You should encrypt the wireless signals unless you don't mind the neighbors
being able to use you dsl line free of charge.

You need to review the various wireless settings on both the router and the
laptop to ensure that they are identical.
When all of the settings are consistent, then the connection will work.

Jim