Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WLAN setup for one laptop

WLAN setup for one laptop

=?Utf-8?B?eW9ya2U=?=

I have a DELL inspiron 9400 with winxp-sp2. At present I have a wired
connection via a comtrend CT-301 ADSL modem. I am trying to setup this laptop
for wlan but to date have been unable to get a connection using a linksys
wrt55ag and then a d-link DI-784 wireless routers. Both router work if I
setup a network on a desktop pc. When I removed the PC from the network I
could not get the laptop to connect wireless. The laptop does see and
connects to whatever wireless router I use but I cannot connect to IE or
email even when it appears I am connected to the wlan. The laptop freezes
when I unplug the ethernet cable in order to attach the cable to the router.
My wired connection is just fine. I have contacted tech support from
Linksys,d-link, DELL and my ISP none could help. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how I can setup and connect to a wlan with only one laptop in
the network. I just want to be able to roam and not have to work at my desk
all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Regards to all.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

You have to start in stages, the wireless connection between the Laptop and
the Router has to work regardless of whether you have an Internet
connection.

If you can connect to the Router's menus while using the wireless and typing
the Router's core IP address to the browser, it means that the Wireless is
working.

If you cannot connect Wirelessly to the Router's menus, it means that you do
not have a viable Wireless connection, and thus No Internet.

If you establish a working connection with the Router, your Internet might
work well.

Otherwise it might be authentication problem make sure that the DSL is
authenticate by the Router and Not by the local software,
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"yorke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DELL inspiron 9400 with winxp-sp2. At present I have a wired
> connection via a comtrend CT-301 ADSL modem. I am trying to setup this
> laptop
> for wlan but to date have been unable to get a connection using a linksys
> wrt55ag and then a d-link DI-784 wireless routers. Both router work if I
> setup a network on a desktop pc. When I removed the PC from the network I
> could not get the laptop to connect wireless. The laptop does see and
> connects to whatever wireless router I use but I cannot connect to IE or
> email even when it appears I am connected to the wlan. The laptop freezes
> when I unplug the ethernet cable in order to attach the cable to the
> router.
> My wired connection is just fine. I have contacted tech support from
> Linksys,d-link, DELL and my ISP none could help. Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how I can setup and connect to a wlan with only one laptop
> in
> the network. I just want to be able to roam and not have to work at my
> desk
> all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Regards to all.

=?Utf-8?B?eW9ya2U=?=

Hello;
We changed the password and were able to get a wireless internet connection.
Thank your reply and the links were very helpful. Now I'll try a wireless
print server. Thanks again. Regards

"yorke" wrote:

> I have a DELL inspiron 9400 with winxp-sp2. At present I have a wired
> connection via a comtrend CT-301 ADSL modem. I am trying to setup this laptop
> for wlan but to date have been unable to get a connection using a linksys
> wrt55ag and then a d-link DI-784 wireless routers. Both router work if I
> setup a network on a desktop pc. When I removed the PC from the network I
> could not get the laptop to connect wireless. The laptop does see and
> connects to whatever wireless router I use but I cannot connect to IE or
> email even when it appears I am connected to the wlan. The laptop freezes
> when I unplug the ethernet cable in order to attach the cable to the router.
> My wired connection is just fine. I have contacted tech support from
> Linksys,d-link, DELL and my ISP none could help. Does anyone have any
> suggestions on how I can setup and connect to a wlan with only one laptop in
> the network. I just want to be able to roam and not have to work at my desk
> all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Regards to all.

Phil

I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
(as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
just received)!
Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
to encounter!
I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
"The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
this desire true!