Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Gnosis - New extension identifies, people, places, things automatically

Gnosis - New extension identifies, people, places, things automatically

ttague

If you do a significant amount of web-based research or news reading,
you may be interested in Gnosis.

Gnosis is a free Firefox add-in that takes the text of the page you are
viewing and uses sophisticated natural language processing tools to
extract the people, companies, organizations, geographies and other
items for the text. These items are then presented in a sidebar that
allows you to initiate searches from them on Google, Technorati and
Wikipedia.

Behind the scenes there’s some cool web services stuff going on – but
for the user it simply enhances the effectiveness of your research or
reading.

Gnosis is available at http://sws.clearforest.com/Blog/?page_id=32

Miller

*ttague* wrote on 02.12.06 14:21:
> If you do a significant amount of web-based research or news reading,
> you may be interested in Gnosis.
>
> Gnosis is a free Firefox add-in that takes the text of the page you are
> viewing and uses sophisticated natural language processing tools to
> extract the people, companies, organizations, geographies and other
> items for the text. These items are then presented in a sidebar that
> allows you to initiate searches from them on Google, Technorati and
> Wikipedia.
>
> Behind the scenes there’s some cool web services stuff going on – but
> for the user it simply enhances the effectiveness of your research or
> reading.

No thanx, i've read George Orwell's 1984. Enough stuff like that...

ttague

Nothing Orwellian here. We analyze, we return the results, we throw
everything away. Just a tool to help people do web-based research a
little faster and better.