Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Matlab and VHDL

Matlab and VHDL

ronak283@gmail.com

I am relatively new to VHDL .. I want to know can I use a analog or
digital signal and read it in the computer as a signal (lets say
'test') using a Altera educational UP3 board which also has an FPGA on
it .... and then write code in Matlab to find different aspects(max
value, phase, amplitude etc) of that signal and then using those values
in my VHDL code ???

boysr2003 boysr2003 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
my name is Yassir Boukhriss. I am doing the same thing with a different board that has a xilinx fpga. I guess, you need to write a c program to read data from the channel that has the signal of interest, and then import that file into Matlab for analysis.
Good luck!

Ralf Hildebrandt

> I am relatively new to VHDL .. I want to know can I use a analog or
> digital signal and read it in the computer as a signal (lets say
> 'test') using a Altera educational UP3 board which also has an FPGA on
> it ....

There is no analog-to-digital converter in at the UP2 education boards.
There are quite a lot of pins you may use for digital I/O
(FLEX_EXPAN_A/B/C).

> and then write code in Matlab to find different aspects(max
> value, phase, amplitude etc) of that signal and then using those values
> in my VHDL code ???

Do I understand you right, that you want to sample analog data, read the
samples (in matlab), do some calculations there (real time or
post-processing) and feed the results back to the FPGA (real time?)?

What about using an external ADC, talk to this ADC with the FPGA
(digital), get the data and do the desired calculations inside the FPGA?

Ralf

vectorized computation in C++ such as those in Matlab (Matlab toC++)? Luna Moon C++ 16 08-08-2008 04:27 PM
Eclipse RCP and MATLAB (calling MATLAB from JAVA) siki Java 0 01-16-2007 04:19 AM
VHDL and MATLAB dimmutal VHDL 0 02-27-2006 06:54 PM
Help! FIR Filter - MATLAB fdatool - VHDL Emel VHDL 0 01-08-2006 03:00 PM

Advertisments