Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > adding wirelss laptops into a workgroup

adding wirelss laptops into a workgroup

John Owens

I have a workgroup ( a mixture of w2k, xp and 98 ) running through a linksys
router.
I also have two laptops (xp) hanging wirelessly off the router which can
both surf the net and ping the other pc's. BUT I cannot get them to join
the
workgroup.
The pcs even 'see' the laptops, but when I click on their entry I get a
'route not found' message.

I have set up shares. I have set them to workgroup in the same name (not the
default mshome).

I would be grateful for any pointers helping me to get these xp laptops to
work within the workgroup, wirelessly.

Thanks
--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Jim

I had a similar problem and found my network key on my notebook
did not match the key on my linksys router. I also found the following in
this newsgroup from another Jim.
Jim
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Network did not assign this computer an IP address

The reasons that I got such a message when I was setting up my network were:

1. Incorrect key for WEP. It is quite difficult to get this thing right.

2. ZA not passing ICMP packets.

3. Computer not set to use DHCP.

There are probably lots of others.

Jim

John Owens wrote:
> I have a workgroup ( a mixture of w2k, xp and 98 ) running through a
> linksys router.
> I also have two laptops (xp) hanging wirelessly off the router which
> can both surf the net and ping the other pc's. BUT I cannot get them
> to join the
> workgroup.
> The pcs even 'see' the laptops, but when I click on their entry I get
> a 'route not found' message.
>
> I have set up shares. I have set them to workgroup in the same name
> (not the default mshome).
>
> I would be grateful for any pointers helping me to get these xp
> laptops to work within the workgroup, wirelessly.
>
> Thanks

John Owens

"Jim" <shamus1145@ya(ormaybeno)hoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a similar problem and found my network key on my notebook
> did not match the key on my linksys router. I also found the following in
> this newsgroup from another Jim.
> Jim
> 2. ZA not passing ICMP packets.

Thanks but I am not using WEP (I use Mac authentication instead and the
laptops are surfing via the router quite happily). I will look into the
firewall thing though.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

David Hettel

You might want to take a look at the following pages;

There is also an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna.
Take the time to go through it and it will usually pinpoint the problem
area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

news:4569b2df$0$25965$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...