Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird Question Please

Thunderbird Question Please

dancertm

I have a question about Thunderbird and compression. I don't mind that
it wants to do this function, however, almost every time I open the
program it asks if I want it to compress files. I can't seem to find
where I would tell it to automatically do it, or compress after it
gets to a certain size.

Where are the toggles for this function or, if there are none, how can
I turn that off as it gets annoying.

Thanks

Leonidas Jones

dancertm wrote:
> I have a question about Thunderbird and compression. I don't mind that
> it wants to do this function, however, almost every time I open the
> program it asks if I want it to compress files. I can't seem to find
> where I would tell it to automatically do it, or compress after it
> gets to a certain size.
>
> Where are the toggles for this function or, if there are none, how can
> I turn that off as it gets annoying.
>
> Thanks

Since you really should not be trying to access a folder while its being
compacted, it can be automated only to the point of reminding you. You
can always choose not to compact at that time, if you really need to
proceed.

If you turn off the warning, it is very important to compact the folders
manually on a regular basis, or the mail files can build up to an
enormous size.

To control it:

Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Offline & Disk Space

To turn it off, uncheck the box. To have it occur less frequently,
raise the limit.

I set mine for 1000 KB.

Lee

dancertm

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:37:15 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>dancertm wrote:
>> I have a question about Thunderbird and compression. I don't mind that
>> it wants to do this function, however, almost every time I open the
>> program it asks if I want it to compress files. I can't seem to find
>> where I would tell it to automatically do it, or compress after it
>> gets to a certain size.
>>
>> Where are the toggles for this function or, if there are none, how can
>> I turn that off as it gets annoying.
>>
>> Thanks

>Since you really should not be trying to access a folder while its being
>compacted, it can be automated only to the point of reminding you. You
>can always choose not to compact at that time, if you really need to
>proceed.
>
>If you turn off the warning, it is very important to compact the folders
>manually on a regular basis, or the mail files can build up to an
>enormous size.
>
>To control it:
>
>Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Offline & Disk Space
>
>To turn it off, uncheck the box. To have it occur less frequently,
>raise the limit.
>
>I set mine for 1000 KB.
>
>Lee

Thanks Lee. I had a feeling they set it low, and I could up the size.
I was getting the compact reminder almost every time I opened the
email client, was getting a bit annoying