Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Talking to PCs in my WorkGroup

Talking to PCs in my WorkGroup

=?Utf-8?B?cnJ2b2xr?=

All Firewalls are disabled.

Im trying to seet up a peer to peer wirleless network with ICS.

On the main PC it has a IP of 192.168.0.1 , when trying to ping the other
PC i get "request Timed Out"

On the other PC, whose IP address is 169.254.45.144, when trying to ping the
Main PC I get "Destination Host Unreachable"

What could cause this?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
An IP of 169.254.45.144 means that the TCP?IP stack is configured to obtain
an IP Auto, an can not find a DHCP server to get one. Since you are using
ICS and do nt have a DHCP server you have to assign the computer with static
IP like, 192.168.02.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"rrvolk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All Firewalls are disabled.
>
> Im trying to seet up a peer to peer wirleless network with ICS.
>
> On the main PC it has a IP of 192.168.0.1 , when trying to ping the other
> PC i get "request Timed Out"
>
> On the other PC, whose IP address is 169.254.45.144, when trying to ping
> the
> Main PC I get "Destination Host Unreachable"
>
> What could cause this?

David Hettel

You have not succeeded in putting your wireless cards in Ad-Hoc mode with
common security settings. The "other PC" should have an address of
192.168.0.xxx if it where connecting to the main PC. See if this page will
not help you;
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...ocwireless.htm

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"rrvolk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All Firewalls are disabled.
>
> Im trying to seet up a peer to peer wirleless network with ICS.
>
> On the main PC it has a IP of 192.168.0.1 , when trying to ping the other
> PC i get "request Timed Out"
>
> On the other PC, whose IP address is 169.254.45.144, when trying to ping
> the
> Main PC I get "Destination Host Unreachable"
>
> What could cause this?

David Hettel

Why doesn't he have a DHCP server? If he is using ICS he should have a DHCP
server, it's part of ICS as far as I know. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
Just below fig 5. I believe it is most likely a security setting
mis-configured, or his ICS is not actually working perhaps because he has
attempted to change the TCP/IP settings of the wireless card.