Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Lowest cost simulator for learning (NOT certification)

Lowest cost simulator for learning (NOT certification)

Castravete

I am looking into trying to learn Cisco CatOS/IOS CLI, from configuration
of ports and VLANs, to routing issues (multi-layer switching, to being
with). For this I would dare to ask for some guidance.

1. I was looking into software "simulators" (a-la Boson), but before
spending any money I was wondering how "certification-oriented" these are,
vs. really learning how to setup things. I would also appreciate some
input regarding which ones are really worth their costs.

2. I was also looking into Cisco-like systems (a-la
http://www.freesco.org/), but I am not aware of any capable of covering
the whole range of possibilities (see "opening statement" about those),
and how close they really come to utilizing CatOS/IOS syntax.

3. I have also seen on-line simulators - but, yet again - I have no
experience to which ones are cost worthy.

I would appreciate any advice in this regard.

TIA,
Castravete

SysAdm

"Castravete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking into trying to learn Cisco CatOS/IOS CLI, from configuration
> of ports and VLANs, to routing issues (multi-layer switching, to being
> with). For this I would dare to ask for some guidance.
>
> 1. I was looking into software "simulators" (a-la Boson), but before
> spending any money I was wondering how "certification-oriented" these are,
> vs. really learning how to setup things. I would also appreciate some
> input regarding which ones are really worth their costs.

<snip>

how much $$$ u got to spend ??