Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox stalls (waiting for 127.0.0.1) - ideas?

Firefox stalls (waiting for 127.0.0.1) - ideas?

keyes04@netscape.net

Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
(older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
"me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)

My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).

C.R.

Leonidas Jones

> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
>
> My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
> when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
>
> C.R.

I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
problem in Opera as well.

Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
tried opening in Safe Mode?

Lee

The Invisible Man

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
>> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
>> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
>> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
>> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
>> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
>> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
>> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
>>
>> My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
>> when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
>>
>> C.R.

> I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
> problem in Opera as well.
>
> Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
> tried opening in Safe Mode?
>
> Lee

I had the same problem with opening parts of Friends Reunited on our
desktop. Whitelisted the page in adblock with no effect. Again waiting
for 127.0.0.1

It finally worked when I put Friends reunited in the trusted zone of
Zone Alarm. Now I have taken it out it and at present it is still working.

What I cannot do since Firefox 2.0 is get the messages to pop up when I
hover over the triangles on the AA road problems site. Any ideas?

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc...r=region&city=

Leonidas Jones

The Invisible Man wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
>>> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
>>> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
>>> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
>>> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
>>> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
>>> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
>>> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)
>>>
>>> My fix thus far is to open Opera and look at the site through Opera
>>> when it happens (I simply detest opening IE <<grin>>).
>>>
>>> C.R.

>> I was going to suggest a hosts file issue, but that should cause the4
>> problem in Opera as well.
>>
>> Are you running AdBlock, or any other ad blocking extension? Have you
>> tried opening in Safe Mode?
>>
>> Lee

> I had the same problem with opening parts of Friends Reunited on our
> desktop. Whitelisted the page in adblock with no effect. Again waiting
> for 127.0.0.1
>
> It finally worked when I put Friends reunited in the trusted zone of
> Zone Alarm. Now I have taken it out it and at present it is still working.
>
> What I cannot do since Firefox 2.0 is get the messages to pop up when I
> hover over the triangles on the AA road problems site. Any ideas?
>
> http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc...r=region&city=

That's not working in FF 1.5 either, nor in Safari.

It sort of works on Opera, but part of the tooltip is buried behind the map.

I suspect IE specific code, but I don't have IE here to test.

Lee

John Thompson

On 2006-11-22, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Only occasionally, but often enough to be a real pain, Firefox 2.0
> (older version did it too) will simply stall when opening a site. In
> the lower left it shows that it's waiting for 127.0.0.1. Since that's
> "me," what's going on? It seems that POSSIBLY it's associated with
> some types of advertising on some sites (Drudge seems to be the most
> frequent site where it happens). I have sat for several minutes
> waiting for some resolution just to see what would happen, but it just
> keeps waiting to loopback to my computer. Ideas? (Fixes?)

Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?
Maybe you have edited your "hosts" file to point some advertising sites
to 127.0.0.1 and the page is set to force you to view those before it
lets you see the real content?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

keyes04@netscape.net

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote:

>Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?

Nope. I'm using Firefox just as it "came out of the box." Although
now I'm not certain it's happening with the latest upgrade afterall.
I thought it had, but it's been several days without the problem.
Maybe it was a glitch in the previous version....(?) I'll just have
to watch a while longer to find out, I guess - it may have actually
fixed itself with the upgrade and I didn't realize it.

The only time I use a proxy server is when I use the anonymizing
function of my Steganos software (which is rare).

By the way - you didn't by any slim chance graduate from high school
in '66 where the mascot was a "billy," did you?

C.R.

John Thompson

On 2006-11-25, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
><(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote:
>>
>>Is Firefox configured to use a proxy server listening on 127.0.0.1?

> Nope. I'm using Firefox just as it "came out of the box." Although
> now I'm not certain it's happening with the latest upgrade afterall.

That's odd. What do your connection settings? If you're not using a
proxy server of some kind, it should be set to "direct connection to the
internet." Unl;ess there's something in your hosts file I don't know why
it would be looking at 127.0.0.1 at all.

--

-John ((E-Mail Removed))

C.R.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:05:56 GMT, John Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote:

>That's odd. What do your connection settings? If you're not using a
>proxy server of some kind, it should be set to "direct connection to the
>internet." Unl;ess there's something in your hosts file I don't know why
>it would be looking at 127.0.0.1 at all.

It's strange. I only see it briefly now, and just for a few seconds,
and only on certain web sites. I suspect it got fixed in the most
recent version of Firefox, which I didn't download until shortly
before I wrote the original post, and I didn't realize the problem had
apparently been resolved. It's still a mystery, but at least it's not
a significant problem for me. Settings seem fine, I never have the
problem with Opera, and only on a very few sites with Firefox. I
don't know about IE - I don't use it because it's so slow anyway.

But I'm considering the issue resolved functionally, even if my
curiousity isn't satisfied as to why. <<grin>>

C.R.