Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Help Needed

Wireless Help Needed

=?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

Please can someone help me. I have just the one laptop at home and have
purchased a wireless modem and router. I have set this up as instructed by my
computer and whilst everything is showing as connected and ready to go the
minute I disconect the ethernet cable between my laptop and the router/modem
I am unable to gain any internet access at all and the computer informs me
that I have a network cable missing.

I have nothing to do with computers and as it may already seem to some don't
really know what I am doing!!!! I have asked and emailed many people and
neglect to get any answers.

All I need is someone to point out where I am going wrong as it is now
driving me mad having a wireless system that only works when wires are
connected.

Please help. Thanking anyone who helps in advance.

Cia

David Hettel

You really aren't giving us enough info to be helpful. Would you please list
all of your networking hardware details. What kind of network cards do you
have in your laptop. Purchasing a wireless router is only half of the
hardware you'll need, You also need a wireless network card configured the
same way as you have configured the wireless router to connect wirelessly.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Cia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please can someone help me. I have just the one laptop at home and have
> purchased a wireless modem and router. I have set this up as instructed by
> my
> computer and whilst everything is showing as connected and ready to go the
> minute I disconect the ethernet cable between my laptop and the
> router/modem
> I am unable to gain any internet access at all and the computer informs me
> that I have a network cable missing.
>
> I have nothing to do with computers and as it may already seem to some
> don't
> really know what I am doing!!!! I have asked and emailed many people and
> neglect to get any answers.
>
> All I need is someone to point out where I am going wrong as it is now
> driving me mad having a wireless system that only works when wires are
> connected.
>
> Please help. Thanking anyone who helps in advance.
>
> Cia

=?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

Hi David,

Thank you for getting back to me. As mentioned I am not 100% sure as to what
am doing when it comes to all of this and am not 100% sure of the
information that you are asking me for. I have a wifi certified laptop and my
WLAN is showing as on and working. What do you mean by network cards? The
modem/router that I have got is a belkin 54g. Is there any chance that you
could speak in laymans terms and then simplify them further for me. I am
useless.

Thanks

"David Hettel" wrote:

> You really aren't giving us enough info to be helpful. Would you please list
> all of your networking hardware details. What kind of network cards do you
> have in your laptop. Purchasing a wireless router is only half of the
> hardware you'll need, You also need a wireless network card configured the
> same way as you have configured the wireless router to connect wirelessly.
>
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "Cia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please can someone help me. I have just the one laptop at home and have
> > purchased a wireless modem and router. I have set this up as instructed by
> > my
> > computer and whilst everything is showing as connected and ready to go the
> > minute I disconect the ethernet cable between my laptop and the
> > router/modem
> > I am unable to gain any internet access at all and the computer informs me
> > that I have a network cable missing.
> >
> > I have nothing to do with computers and as it may already seem to some
> > don't
> > really know what I am doing!!!! I have asked and emailed many people and
> > neglect to get any answers.
> >
> > All I need is someone to point out where I am going wrong as it is now
> > driving me mad having a wireless system that only works when wires are
> > connected.
> >
> > Please help. Thanking anyone who helps in advance.
> >
> > Cia

David Hettel

Please open device manager and expand Network adapters, and
tell us what is listed under this. You haven't said the OS you are using so
it's somewhat hard to say how you do this. Generally you can open device
manager from | Start (menu) | Control Panel | System | and click on the
hardware (tab) (if using Windows XP) or look for device manger if using
Vista (no hardware tab in Vista) | look for Network Adapters and click on
the "+"
in front of Network Adapters to expand it. Note any icons with an
exclamation mark or question mark over them. List all adapters listed there.

Please list the model number of your laptop.

A network card is the hardware (the actual physical thing) that actually
allows you to connect to another computer, that's half of the solution, the
other is the software that tells the hardware what and how to do it. If I
fail to explain myself feel free to ask me for a better clearer explanation,
as many times as it takes.

You may find a better explanation here as well as useful suggestions;

http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Thanks

--
> [...]

>> > my
>> > computer and whilst everything is showing as connected and ready to go
>> > the
>> > minute I disconect the ethernet cable between my laptop and the
>> > router/modem
>> > I am unable to gain any internet access at all and the computer informs
>> > me
>> > that I have a network cable missing.
>> >
>> > I have nothing to do with computers and as it may already seem to some
>> > don't
>> > really know what I am doing!!!! I have asked and emailed many people
>> > and
>> > neglect to get any answers.
>> >
>> > All I need is someone to point out where I am going wrong as it is now
>> > driving me mad having a wireless system that only works when wires are
>> > connected.
>> >
>> > Please help. Thanking anyone who helps in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2lh?=

Ok, apologies for not even informing you of the os - windows xp. My laptop is
a compaq notebook V5031EA. Under network adaptors the following are
displayed, neither have a question or exclamation mark over them and both are
operating correctly according to this. They are 1) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
2)Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

With regards to the network card don;t think I have this. I have no other
computers to connect to, this is my only one. I am sorry to be so thick I
have tried to do everything logically but on this occasion logic is failing
me.

"David Hettel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> everyone
> >> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
> >> in
> >> E-mail or news groups.
> >>
> >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
> >> kind,
> >> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
> >> reliability
> >> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
> >> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
> >> or
> >> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
> >> confers
> >> no rights.
> >>

> >> "Cia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

David Hettel

I've found over the years that when setting up a wireless network it is
often helpful to initially set it up with security disabled. We don't have
to do that now, let's see if we can figure out what is going wrong with the
way it is set up now. Then once it is up and running to start adding the
security features one at a time. This helps to separate where any problems
are. There are two version of XP, XP home and XP Pro, there are some real
differences when networking between the two, down the line that may make a
difference.

Ok Here is what I'd like you to do for now.

1) Reboot your V5031EA without it wired to the wireless router/modem. By the
way what model is this please?

2) With the wireless turn on does your V5031EA report that it finds your
network? With the card active (you should have some kind of indicator light
showing that the wireless/wi-fi/ is enabled) it should find your network
within a minute or two of your V5031EA finishing the boot process.

This is the first step. If it fails to find the router/modem do you have
SSID enabled in the wireless settings for your router/modem? Hopefully
you'll have an icon in the bottom right corner of your screen on the Taskbar
for the wireless card. It may appear as one computer, if so right click on
it and you should see an option to find wireless networks. If you click
(left button) on this option does it find any networks? Or are you told it
can't.