Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > multiple users

Reply
Thread Tools

multiple users

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
Hi
There are Millions of users online every moment. Which ones you want to see?
If you are on a specific BBS, the members that are On might be listed, and
you can switch On a setting to show the list
If you want to see a specific group of personal friends there has to be some
application that looks for these specific people, like IM friends groups.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
I am just talking abut the people on my network, home network. I know it
sounds funny, but with kids in the house, it is nice to see who is on line.
I know where I used to work, we could do it.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> There are Millions of users online every moment. Which ones you want to see?
> If you are on a specific BBS, the members that are On might be listed, and
> you can switch On a setting to show the list
> If you want to see a specific group of personal friends there has to be some
> application that looks for these specific people, like IM friends groups.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
Hi

Your home network is probably the classical peer-to peer Network.

To know who is on line you need to look at a central place that all the
traffic flows through. The only place in regular peer-to-peer Network is
probably the Cable/DSL Router. Most Routers have a menu that informs which
computers are having an active IP you might be able to log to your Router
(if you use one) and take an occasional look.

Otherwise, it can be done by installing special "spying" software on each
computer. The software allows you to monitor from your computer the
activities of other computers..

You have to take into consideration that if the users are computer savvy
they would find ways to disable it. So, YMMV.

Example, http://www.softactivity.com/employee-monitoring.asp

Jack (MVP-Networking).



"curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am just talking abut the people on my network, home network. I know it
> sounds funny, but with kids in the house, it is nice to see who is on
> line.
> I know where I used to work, we could do it.
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> There are Millions of users online every moment. Which ones you want to
>> see?
>> If you are on a specific BBS, the members that are On might be listed,
>> and
>> you can switch On a setting to show the list
>> If you want to see a specific group of personal friends there has to be
>> some
>> application that looks for these specific people, like IM friends groups.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel Hammerschmidt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
Jack (MVP-Networking). <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Your home network is probably the classical peer-to peer Network.
>
> To know who is on line you need to look at a central place that all the
> traffic flows through. The only place in regular peer-to-peer Network is
> probably the Cable/DSL Router. Most Routers have a menu that informs which
> computers are having an active IP you might be able to log to your Router
> (if you use one) and take an occasional look.


This only works if a DHCP server is enabled the guest computer is set up
to acquire its ip-address from the server.

> Otherwise, it can be done by installing special "spying" software on each
> computer. The software allows you to monitor from your computer the
> activities of other computers..


Better to connect a hub just before the cable/dsl modem and connect to
the hub with a cable and a computer running a packet sniffer like
Ethereal.

> You have to take into consideration that if the users are computer savvy
> they would find ways to disable it. So, YMMV.


No way a with packet sniffer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Hettel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2006
There is a free program called AirSnare, you might take a look at it I
believe it will do what you want,
http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/


--
David Hettel

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
no rights.



"curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am just talking abut the people on my network, home network. I know it
> sounds funny, but with kids in the house, it is nice to see who is on
> line.
> I know where I used to work, we could do it.
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> There are Millions of users online every moment. Which ones you want to
>> see?
>> If you are on a specific BBS, the members that are On might be listed,
>> and
>> you can switch On a setting to show the list
>> If you want to see a specific group of personal friends there has to be
>> some
>> application that looks for these specific people, like IM friends groups.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "curt1945" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?

>>
>>
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single web app for both external users and domain users bitshift ASP .Net 1 06-22-2007 03:32 PM
How to Synchronize anonymous users with authenticated users using profiles? Rodusa ASP .Net 2 09-08-2005 08:12 PM
Attn: Panasonic FZ5 Users and Canon S1-IS Users measekite Digital Photography 17 05-27-2005 05:51 PM
Help me in making users/deleting users in active directory Sara rafiee ASP .Net 3 10-04-2004 01:35 PM
Reg. Listing Only Online Users in a Seperate JTree from the Total Users. Sunil Miriyala Java 0 03-01-2004 04:58 PM



Advertisments