Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Hibernation problem with FF2.0

Hibernation problem with FF2.0

Danny Colyer

I often set my computer to hibernate overnight, leaving FF with
typically 5 or 6 tabs open. The tabs will usually be looking at the
Radio 4 programmes that I plan to listen to the following day, for
example the tabs that I would leave open tonight are:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/livingwi...emy/pip/egtdi/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/am_i_normal.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/withgrea...ure/pip/mrzdo/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/tinacsst...our/pip/1uef6/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/thescanner/pip/pdj9r/

I seldom had any problems doing this with 1.5.0.2 or older versions of
FF, but since upgrading to 2.0 I have often found that the computer
doesn't wake up fully the next day - it seems to start up, but the mouse
and keyboard remain unresponsive.

I haven't tried starting FF in safe mode and hibernating, perhaps I'll
try that tonight. I mostly have the same extensions as before the
upgrade, except that I have replaced Tabbrowser Extensions with Tab Mix
Plus.

Are there any known issues with either FF 2.0 or the Tab Mix Plus
extension and hibernation? I'm running W2K Pro on a 1.7GHz P4 with
512MB RAM.

Leonidas Jones

Danny Colyer wrote:
> I often set my computer to hibernate overnight, leaving FF with
> typically 5 or 6 tabs open. The tabs will usually be looking at the
> Radio 4 programmes that I plan to listen to the following day, for
> example the tabs that I would leave open tonight are:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/livingwi...emy/pip/egtdi/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/am_i_normal.shtml
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/withgrea...ure/pip/mrzdo/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/tinacsst...our/pip/1uef6/
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/thescanner/pip/pdj9r/
>
> I seldom had any problems doing this with 1.5.0.2 or older versions of
> FF, but since upgrading to 2.0 I have often found that the computer
> doesn't wake up fully the next day - it seems to start up, but the mouse
> and keyboard remain unresponsive.
>
> I haven't tried starting FF in safe mode and hibernating, perhaps I'll
> try that tonight. I mostly have the same extensions as before the
> upgrade, except that I have replaced Tabbrowser Extensions with Tab Mix
> Plus.
>
> Are there any known issues with either FF 2.0 or the Tab Mix Plus
> extension and hibernation? I'm running W2K Pro on a 1.7GHz P4 with
> 512MB RAM.

Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
that you closed.

Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session

Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
Manager.

On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
When Browser Exits, check Save Session.

Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
open all the tabs you had saved.

Lee

Tony Raven

Leonidas Jones wrote on 22/11/2006 00:22 +0100:

> Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
> profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
> Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
> that you closed.
>
> Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session
>
> Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
> Manager.
>
> On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
> When Browser Exits, check Save Session.
>
> Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
> hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
> open all the tabs you had saved.

That's what I do these days, although I have not had the problems Danny
reported. Even better on the Session Restore feature you can save a
session to a menu and then recall that session at any time from the
Session Manager menu. Which is what I do also for research projects
where I want to be able to return to the pages I have identified.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Danny Colyer

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Trying it in safe mode would be the first trouble shooting step, a new
> profile would be next. However, with TMP installed, if you enable its
> Session Manager option, You can choose to have FF reopen, with the tabs
> that you closed.
>
> Tools>>Tab Mix Plus Options>>Session
>
> Uncheck Use built-in Session Restore feature, then check Enable Session
> Manager.
>
> On the Start/Exit tab, for When Browser Starts, check Restore. For
> When Browser Exits, check Save Session.
>
> Then you can open your tabs, and, before allowing your computer to
> hibernate, close FF. When it wake up the next day, open FF, and it will
> open all the tabs you had saved.

Thanks for the suggestions, Lee. The session manager is enabled and I
use it daily, though I've chosen not to save session exit or restore on
startup. I want FF to open a single tab on my home page when I start it
up. My other option is just to save the session and then reload it when
I'm ready to use it, but I don't really want to do that either. Though
what I'm currently doing is to save the session and then reload it after
the PC crashes...

I'm by no means certain that the problem is with TMP. To test, I
hibernated and woke up twice in safe mode, with no problems. Then I did
the same with TMP disabled, still no problems. Then I did the same with
all extensions enabled, again no problems. Frustratingly, I am now
unable to duplicate the problem.