Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sky Wireless Broadband

Sky Wireless Broadband

=?Utf-8?B?V2VlIEpv?=

I have just been on the phone to Sky for 30 mins setting up my wireless
broadband only to be told that my built in wireless card ( ihave a HP
EA9088DV laptop) has an encryption blocking my set up. Everytime i remoive
the ethernet cable i lose my internet connection.
Does anyone know how to remove the encryption from my PC so i can remove my
ethernet cable and be wireless??

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

There are few different services that are provided under the generic name
Sky.

Usually Wireless Internet service and the Wireless Card in a Laptop are not
necessarily the same type.

Which one you have?

You also mention cable that is plugged to provide Internet, what is it that
the cable is plugged to on the other side?

If you would like a countable answer, you should describe your system in
more precise detail.

Disabling security in regular WIFI card on the computer is very simple but
it depends on what you are using for a Wireless manger, and what it is
connected to.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Wee Jo" <Wee http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just been on the phone to Sky for 30 mins setting up my wireless
> broadband only to be told that my built in wireless card ( ihave a HP
> EA9088DV laptop) has an encryption blocking my set up. Everytime i remoive
> the ethernet cable i lose my internet connection.
> Does anyone know how to remove the encryption from my PC so i can remove
> my
> ethernet cable and be wireless??

=?Utf-8?B?V2VlIEpv?=

Hi Jack

My set up is follows: I have a mircofilter in my main phone socket,
splitting my main telephone line and my internet line. The internet line goes
into a netgear box which has a ethernet cable going into my laptop.

With regards to what i have in respect of a wireless service or card - i am
not sure as i have only just brought this laptop as i have always had pc's
before and i do not know enough about this, i was under the impression that
it was all built in.

Do i need to purchase a wireless card?

Thanks Jo

"Wee Jo" wrote:

> I have just been on the phone to Sky for 30 mins setting up my wireless
> broadband only to be told that my built in wireless card ( ihave a HP
> EA9088DV laptop) has an encryption blocking my set up. Everytime i remoive
> the ethernet cable i lose my internet connection.
> Does anyone know how to remove the encryption from my PC so i can remove my
> ethernet cable and be wireless??

David Hettel

That is what we are trying to decide, and you aren't giving us enough
details to help you. Please open device manager and expand Network adapters,
tell us what is listed under this. You haven't said the OS you are using so
it's somewhat hard to say how you do this. Generally you can open device
manager from | Start (menu) | Control Panel | System | and click on the
hardware (tab) (if using Windows XP) or look for device manger if using
Vista
(no hardware tab in Vista) | look for Network Adapters and click on the "+"
in front of Network Adapters to expand it. Note any icons with an
exclamation mark or question mark over them. List all adapters listed there.

Please list the model number of your laptop.

Thanks
--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Wee Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jack
>
> My set up is follows: I have a mircofilter in my main phone socket,
> splitting my main telephone line and my internet line. The internet line
> goes
> into a netgear box which has a ethernet cable going into my laptop.
>
> With regards to what i have in respect of a wireless service or card - i
> am
> not sure as i have only just brought this laptop as i have always had pc's
> before and i do not know enough about this, i was under the impression
> that
> it was all built in.
>
> Do i need to purchase a wireless card?
>
> Thanks Jo
>

> "Wee Jo" wrote:
>
>> I have just been on the phone to Sky for 30 mins setting up my wireless
>> broadband only to be told that my built in wireless card ( ihave a HP
>> EA9088DV laptop) has an encryption blocking my set up. Everytime i
>> remoive
>> the ethernet cable i lose my internet connection.
>> Does anyone know how to remove the encryption from my PC so i can remove
>> my
>> ethernet cable and be wireless??

=?Utf-8?B?V2VlIEpv?=

Hi Guys

I HAVE SORTED IT!! - yippe - i spoke to my own IT dept at work and they
talked me through it.

thanks for your repling to my post

Thanks
jo

"David Hettel" wrote:

> That is what we are trying to decide, and you aren't giving us enough
> details to help you. Please open device manager and expand Network adapters,
> tell us what is listed under this. You haven't said the OS you are using so
> it's somewhat hard to say how you do this. Generally you can open device
> manager from | Start (menu) | Control Panel | System | and click on the
> hardware (tab) (if using Windows XP) or look for device manger if using
> Vista
> (no hardware tab in Vista) | look for Network Adapters and click on the "+"
> in front of Network Adapters to expand it. Note any icons with an
> exclamation mark or question mark over them. List all adapters listed there.
>
> Please list the model number of your laptop.
>
> Thanks
> --
> David Hettel

> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> no rights.
>

> "Wee Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Jack
> >
> > My set up is follows: I have a mircofilter in my main phone socket,
> > splitting my main telephone line and my internet line. The internet line
> > goes
> > into a netgear box which has a ethernet cable going into my laptop.
> >
> > With regards to what i have in respect of a wireless service or card - i
> > am
> > not sure as i have only just brought this laptop as i have always had pc's
> > before and i do not know enough about this, i was under the impression
> > that
> > it was all built in.
> >
> > Do i need to purchase a wireless card?
> >
> > Thanks Jo
> >

> > "Wee Jo" wrote:
> >
> >> I have just been on the phone to Sky for 30 mins setting up my wireless
> >> broadband only to be told that my built in wireless card ( ihave a HP
> >> EA9088DV laptop) has an encryption blocking my set up. Everytime i
> >> remoive
> >> the ethernet cable i lose my internet connection.
> >> Does anyone know how to remove the encryption from my PC so i can remove
> >> my
> >> ethernet cable and be wireless??

xander

hey i had the same problem with the mid package what you have to do is plug
in your ethernet cable and open you web browser then type 192.168.0.1 it
should say netgear DG834GT enter your username as admin and your password as
sky you should change this to something you will remember. the go into
wireless settings and chane the protection from wpa-psk to WEP or even NONE
which is not recemended
hope that helped

news:(E-Mail Removed)...