Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows CE - Base Router

Windows CE - Base Router

Le Chaud Lapin

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any end-user-programmable low-priced
commodity router harware that easily supports Windows CE. If not, what
is currently the leading "open router" platform?. I could do Linux,
but Windows CE would be preferrable.

TIA,

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

I never saw one running WinCE, most Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers run
propriety firmware. Some run subset of Linux.

This is the most popular open source replacement, what it can do, and the
Routers that it can run on.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php....28Overview.29

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Le Chaud Lapin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any end-user-programmable low-priced
> commodity router harware that easily supports Windows CE. If not, what
> is currently the leading "open router" platform?. I could do Linux,
> but Windows CE would be preferrable.
>
> TIA,
>
> -Le Chaud Lapin-

Le Chaud Lapin

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
>
> I never saw one running WinCE, most Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers run
> propriety firmware. Some run subset of Linux.
>
> This is the most popular open source replacement, what it can do, and the
> Routers that it can run on.
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php....28Overview.29

Thanks Jack. I was suprised to see so many vendors not deviating from
the Broadcom reference design.

About Linux: I could use it, but I am having real trouble getting past
the threading model. I never thought I would say it, but I am partial
to Microsoft's model, where there is a true subordination of threads to
processes.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Le Chaud Lapin

Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
> About Linux: I could use it, but I am having real trouble getting past
> the threading model. I never thought I would say it, but I am partial
> to Microsoft's model, where there is a true subordination of threads to
> processes.

Correction: It appears that Linux is doing away with the
pseudo-threading-model in favor of true POSIX threads:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man7/pthreads.7.html

-Le Chaud Lapin-