Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > General Computer Support > Problems With Xp "freezing"

Problems With Xp "freezing"

jimmer101 jimmer101 is offline
Junior Member

Hi.. And Thanks for your time in reading this message.

I am having a problem in windows XP (SP2).

The machine is fine when I am using it. It seems the problem occurs when I leave It for a length of time long enough for the "User LOG In" screen to appear (I currently have 3 users with diferent profiles).

It seems and this is only a guess but this "log in" screen is somehow making my system mess up, giving me a blank blue screen and an operational mouse pointer.

In this situation ctr/alt/delete does not work.. In fact all I can do is press the "shut down" button on my actual computer case.

Please help!

Many thanks

Jimmer101

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Try to set a different screen saver, and also change any power savings (like shutting off the hard drive) to something like leaving the machine running in normal mode.

jimmer101 jimmer101 is offline
Junior Member

Hi!

thanks for your response..

I have tryed what you suggested but still having same problems.

Please help!

Would you suggest re-installing xp?

Thanks jimmer

Roshan Roshan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer101
Hi.. And Thanks for your time in reading this message.

I am having a problem in windows XP (SP2).

The machine is fine when I am using it. It seems the problem occurs when I leave It for a length of time long enough for the "User LOG In" screen to appear (I currently have 3 users with diferent profiles).

It seems and this is only a guess but this "log in" screen is somehow making my system mess up, giving me a blank blue screen and an operational mouse pointer.

In this situation ctr/alt/delete does not work.. In fact all I can do is press the "shut down" button on my actual computer case.

Please help!

Many thanks

Jimmer101

Hi Jimmer !!

I this can cause due to Two problems

1. U May have applied a very heavy Wall Paper to your Desktop. Which after logging off takes ample of time to log back.

2. Other user profiles should not be administrator, Just put them to the power user group.

Change your wall paper & the other two user accounts as Power users then try.
It Should workout.

Best regards,

Roshan

jimmer101 jimmer101 is offline
Junior Member

Yep it was the background.

Have now changed wallpaper to somthing els and computer is now working fine!

Many thanks

Jimmer

Roshan Roshan is offline
Junior Member

Please Defrag U'r PC thatrs Imp

jimmer101 jimmer101 is offline
Junior Member

Hi again Roshan

Bet you didnt think you would be hearing from me again

Basically I went to use my computer after leaving it on all night and was faced with our old freind... the blue screen with mouse pointer again.

This is the first time its done it for a while now after changing the background (which was a huge file) which seened to do the trick.

I am currently in the process of defragging C drive as it said it needed it + I had to delete about 11 gigs of stuff as it was full up!

I also just checked my user settings and have found that there are 4 users! only 2 of which we use. and THEY ARE ALL ADMINISTRATOR settings. How do I change then to "the power group" as you suggested? (step by step instructions if poss

Many thanks freind

Jimmer

jimmer101 jimmer101 is offline
Junior Member

I have also just run defrag.. here is the report..

I have emptyed my recycle bin to if this helps.

many tx

jimmer
Attached Files
File Type: txt VolumeC.txt (6.2 KB, 4 views)

Roshan Roshan is offline
Junior Member

Please Fine Below the Steps to Disable or remore the unused user accounts.

1. Right Click on u'r My Computer Icon - Manage
2. Local Users & Settings
3. Open the User folder on the Right had side of u'r screen

In this u will see all the user accounts that u have created, righ click the unused user accounts & say Disable. Disable Even the Guest Account if u are not using it...

On the Groups folder open the Administratot Tab & remove all the unused Admin Accounts. This might sort u'r Problem...

Best regards,

Roshan

Roshan Roshan is offline
Junior Member

Please Find Below the Steps to Disable or remove the unused user accounts.

1. Right Click on u'r My Computer Icon - Manage
2. Local Users & Settings
3. Open the User folder on the Right had side of u'r screen

In this u will see all the user accounts that u have created, right click the unused user accounts & say Disable. Disable Even the Guest Account if u are not using it...

On the Groups folder open the Administrator Tab & remove all the unused Admin Accounts. This might sort u'r Problem...

Best regards,

Roshan