Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Error 14103

Error 14103

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=

My Windows XP SP2 laptop generates connectivity without trouble if I turn on
the LAN switch before I start the PC. However, If I switch on wireless LAN
after my system finishes booting, Tcpip event 4201 repeats several times in
the event viewer and the wireless connection icon in the icon tray blinks
with the red X then no X repeatedly, and after approx. 10 blinking Xs then no
X, finally fully connects.

In the midst of the improper connection redundancy described above, error
14103 also appears in the event viewer, which says: QoS [Adapter
{F2105C4E-8A54-4423-A712-6F9BB97AD289}]: The netcard driver failed the query
for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.

I went to the help and support link provided in event properties box for the
14103 event, the details of which are as follows: Product: Windows Operating
System
Event ID: 14103 Source: PSched Version: 5.0 Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_PS_QUERY_OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED Message: QoS [Adapter %2]:
The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.

The rest of the help and support message says:
Explanation
This event record indicates a serious problem.
User Action
Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support
Services. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available
for this specific error or event message.

Since the help and support message says this issue is serious, I am hoping
to find a solution, instead of just ignoring the problem and switching on the
LAN before I switch the PC on. Can anyone advise?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
As a first step I would suggest that you should log to the Laptop (Wireless
Card) support site and make sure that you Laptop and Wireless card are
functioning with the latest BIOS and drivers. If necessary upgrade the
system.
Otherwise try to reinstall the Wireless drivers, and make sure that Windows
Zero Configuration and the Wireless Card original Utility are running
together. ( My New Wireless does not work -
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html ).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JoeCurious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Windows XP SP2 laptop generates connectivity without trouble if I turn
> on
> the LAN switch before I start the PC. However, If I switch on wireless
> LAN
> after my system finishes booting, Tcpip event 4201 repeats several times
> in
> the event viewer and the wireless connection icon in the icon tray blinks
> with the red X then no X repeatedly, and after approx. 10 blinking Xs then
> no
> X, finally fully connects.
>
> In the midst of the improper connection redundancy described above, error
> 14103 also appears in the event viewer, which says: QoS [Adapter
> {F2105C4E-8A54-4423-A712-6F9BB97AD289}]: The netcard driver failed the
> query
> for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.
>
> I went to the help and support link provided in event properties box for
> the
> 14103 event, the details of which are as follows: Product: Windows
> Operating
> System
> Event ID: 14103 Source: PSched Version: 5.0 Component: System Event Log
> Symbolic Name: EVENT_PS_QUERY_OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED Message: QoS [Adapter
> %2]:
> The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.
>
> The rest of the help and support message says:
> Explanation
> This event record indicates a serious problem.
> User Action
> Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support
> Services. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
> available
> for this specific error or event message.
>
> Since the help and support message says this issue is serious, I am hoping
> to find a solution, instead of just ignoring the problem and switching on
> the
> LAN before I switch the PC on. Can anyone advise?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lQ3VyaW91cw==?=

Thank you sir.

I have done as you suggested, both with Sony regarding wireless driver
updates for my Sony model, and with Intel for the 2100 LAN adapter that came
with my Sony. The Intel driver for the OEM wireless network adapter on this
PC is now updated to Intel's latest (August 2006) driver for this adapter.

I noticed on the Windows marketplace website that my adapter has only a
half-star consumer rating out of five stars, so it sounds like your upgrade
suggestion might be best. However, I am a little short on cash right now, so
I would like to try your other no-cost suggestion as a possible short-term
solution.

That is, could you possibly give me a quick tip on how to make sure Windows
Zero Configuration and the Wireless Card original Utility are running
together? Is there a straight forward system check (for computer dummies
like me) that will show me whether the configuration is right?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> As a first step I would suggest that you should log to the Laptop (Wireless
> Card) support site and make sure that you Laptop and Wireless card are
> functioning with the latest BIOS and drivers. If necessary upgrade the
> system.
> Otherwise try to reinstall the Wireless drivers, and make sure that Windows
> Zero Configuration and the Wireless Card original Utility are running
> together. ( My New Wireless does not work -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html ).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "JoeCurious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My Windows XP SP2 laptop generates connectivity without trouble if I turn
> > on
> > the LAN switch before I start the PC. However, If I switch on wireless
> > LAN
> > after my system finishes booting, Tcpip event 4201 repeats several times
> > in
> > the event viewer and the wireless connection icon in the icon tray blinks
> > with the red X then no X repeatedly, and after approx. 10 blinking Xs then
> > no
> > X, finally fully connects.
> >
> > In the midst of the improper connection redundancy described above, error
> > 14103 also appears in the event viewer, which says: QoS [Adapter
> > {F2105C4E-8A54-4423-A712-6F9BB97AD289}]: The netcard driver failed the
> > query
> > for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.
> >
> > I went to the help and support link provided in event properties box for
> > the
> > 14103 event, the details of which are as follows: Product: Windows
> > Operating
> > System
> > Event ID: 14103 Source: PSched Version: 5.0 Component: System Event Log
> > Symbolic Name: EVENT_PS_QUERY_OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED Message: QoS [Adapter
> > %2]:
> > The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.
> >
> > The rest of the help and support message says:
> > Explanation
> > This event record indicates a serious problem.
> > User Action
> > Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support
> > Services. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
> > available
> > for this specific error or event message.
> >
> > Since the help and support message says this issue is serious, I am hoping
> > to find a solution, instead of just ignoring the problem and switching on
> > the
> > LAN before I switch the PC on. Can anyone advise?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Look at this link, down load the program and run it,
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#process

You would see whether there is Processes generated by Windows Wireless and
others generated by an application that probably would be related
Wireless/network and would be under the company name of your computer
manufacturer or Wireless card or chipset manufacturer.

> [...]

>> > Symbolic Name: EVENT_PS_QUERY_OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED Message: QoS [Adapter
>> > %2]:
>> > The netcard driver failed the query for OID_GEN_LINK_SPEED.
>> >
>> > The rest of the help and support message says:
>> > Explanation
>> > This event record indicates a serious problem.
>> > User Action
>> > Contact your technical support group or the Microsoft Product Support
>> > Services. Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
>> > available
>> > for this specific error or event message.
>> >
>> > Since the help and support message says this issue is serious, I am
>> > hoping
>> > to find a solution, instead of just ignoring the problem and switching
>> > on
>> > the
>> > LAN before I switch the PC on. Can anyone advise?

Thanks. I'll check it out.