Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Two Firefox Questions

Two Firefox Questions

Tom G

1. How do you set up different instances of Firefox? I know there is
a way to get that option on your desktop, but I can't remember how.

2. When I close firefox, and then reopen at a later date I get two or
three home pages in my group of opened tabs. The last tab always
changes to a home page tab. How can I fix this?

Thanks

Mumia W. (reading news)

On 11/14/2006 10:37 AM, Tom G wrote:
> 1. How do you set up different instances of Firefox? I know there is
> a way to get that option on your desktop, but I can't remember how.

I'm not completely sure of what you're talking about, but perhaps you
want a separate profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

> 2. When I close firefox, and then reopen at a later date I get two or
> three home pages in my group of opened tabs. The last tab always
> changes to a home page tab. How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks

Tools->Options->Main->When Firefox Starts->Show home page.

Then set your home page.

Tom G

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:04:42 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/14/2006 10:37 AM, Tom G wrote:
>> 1. How do you set up different instances of Firefox? I know there is
>> a way to get that option on your desktop, but I can't remember how.
>>

>I'm not completely sure of what you're talking about, but perhaps you
>want a separate profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

OK, thanks for that. Now, how do I put the profile manager on my
desktop so that when I click on Firefox the profile manager comes up
and I choose my desired profile?

Thanks again,

Tom

Mumia W. (reading news)

On 11/14/2006 06:13 PM, Tom G wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:04:42 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2006 10:37 AM, Tom G wrote:
>>> 1. How do you set up different instances of Firefox? I know there is
>>> a way to get that option on your desktop, but I can't remember how.
>>>

>> I'm not completely sure of what you're talking about, but perhaps you
>> want a separate profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

> OK, thanks for that. Now, how do I put the profile manager on my
> desktop so that when I click on Firefox the profile manager comes up
> and I choose my desired profile?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Tom

I'm not a Windows user anymore so this comes from memory.

You need to create a shortcut on the desktop. That shortcut should
launch "firefox.exe -profilemanager"

--
(E-Mail Removed)

Miller

*Mumia W. (reading news)* wrote on 15.11.06 08:55:
> On 11/14/2006 06:13 PM, Tom G wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:04:42 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I'm not completely sure of what you're talking about, but perhaps you
>>> want a separate profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile

>> OK, thanks for that. Now, how do I put the profile manager on my
>> desktop so that when I click on Firefox the profile manager comes up
>> and I choose my desired profile?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Tom

> I'm not a Windows user anymore so this comes from memory.
>
> You need to create a shortcut on the desktop. That shortcut should
> launch "firefox.exe -profilemanager"

Right. "firefox.exe -P" works also. And if you want to start a dedicatet
profile create a shortcut like "firefox.exe -P name_of_profile"

cu, Miller

Tom G

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:55:29 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not a Windows user anymore so this comes from memory.
>
>You need to create a shortcut on the desktop. That shortcut should
>launch "firefox.exe -profilemanager"

Yes true, but how do you create that shortcut?

Thanks

Miller

*Tom G* wrote on 15.11.06 16:08:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:55:29 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm not a Windows user anymore so this comes from memory.
>>
>>You need to create a shortcut on the desktop. That shortcut should
>>launch "firefox.exe -profilemanager"

> Yes true, but how do you create that shortcut?

The easiest way should be to copy an existing firefox-shortcut (maybe
from the startmenu) to the desktop. Then go to the properties of this
shortcut and modify the path(target) according to your needs.

Sorry if i'm naming things wrong, English is not my native language
and i haven't got an english Windows-Version.

cu, Miller

Mumia W. (reading news)

On 11/15/2006 09:08 AM, Tom G wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:55:29 GMT, "Mumia W. (reading news)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm not a Windows user anymore so this comes from memory.
>>
>> You need to create a shortcut on the desktop. That shortcut should
>> launch "firefox.exe -profilemanager"

> Yes true, but how do you create that shortcut?
>
> Thanks

Right-click on the desktop, choose "New Shortcut" then right-click the
new shortcut and go through all of the dialogs and put in all of the
settings.

--
(E-Mail Removed)