Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't access 1 computer in home network of 4

Can't access 1 computer in home network of 4

=?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=

I've read many posts and tried many configurations, but am still having
difficulty with my home network. I will try and give all necessary
information:

3 desktops, 1 laptop
desktops all running XP Home, SP2
laptop running XP Pro, SP2
linksys wireless router connected to BASEMENT desktop via ethernet cable
2 other desktops(BEDROOM, DEN) using USB wireless adapters
laptop using wireless card
printers connected to all 3 desktops are set to be shared

My problem seems comman - sharing internet access runs smoothly, but sharing
of printers and files has a roadblock. The laptop can share its files to all
computers on the network and can print to BEDROOM and DEN printers. BEDROOM
and DEN pcs can share files to all on the network and can print to each
others printers. BASEMENT can print to printers on other 2 pcs. None of the
computers can access the printers or shared files on the BASEMENT pc. Tried
turning off Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Worm Protection. BASEMENT
shows on screen off all other machines in "view workgroup computers" and when
I try to add printers to laptop or BEDROOM or DEN, the printers connected to
BASEMENT appear, but access is denied. If I click on one of the BASEMENT
printers the logon box pops up for BASEMENT / GUEST asking for a password.
Meanwhile, GUEST account is OFF on BASEMENT.

What am I missing / doing wrong? Appreciate any guidance.

Jack

Hi

Since all your computers are capable to use the Interent your problem is not
Wireless Related.

Your File Sharing configuration is probably Off.

May be this can Help,
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"brez717" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've read many posts and tried many configurations, but am still having
> difficulty with my home network. I will try and give all necessary
> information:
>
> 3 desktops, 1 laptop
> desktops all running XP Home, SP2
> laptop running XP Pro, SP2
> linksys wireless router connected to BASEMENT desktop via ethernet cable
> 2 other desktops(BEDROOM, DEN) using USB wireless adapters
> laptop using wireless card
> printers connected to all 3 desktops are set to be shared
>
> My problem seems comman - sharing internet access runs smoothly, but

sharing
> of printers and files has a roadblock. The laptop can share its files to

all
> computers on the network and can print to BEDROOM and DEN printers.

BEDROOM
> and DEN pcs can share files to all on the network and can print to each
> others printers. BASEMENT can print to printers on other 2 pcs. None of

the
> computers can access the printers or shared files on the BASEMENT pc.

Tried
> turning off Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Worm Protection.

BASEMENT
> shows on screen off all other machines in "view workgroup computers" and

when
> I try to add printers to laptop or BEDROOM or DEN, the printers connected

> BASEMENT appear, but access is denied. If I click on one of the BASEMENT
> printers the logon box pops up for BASEMENT / GUEST asking for a password.
> Meanwhile, GUEST account is OFF on BASEMENT.
>
> What am I missing / doing wrong? Appreciate any guidance.

=?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=

Sorry, I didn't specify earlier, but File Sharing is on at all machines. And
more important than being able to access the files, is the need to be able to
print to the 2 printers attached to the BASEMENT pc.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Since all your computers are capable to use the Interent your problem is not
> Wireless Related.
>
> Your File Sharing configuration is probably Off.
>
> May be this can Help,
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "brez717" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've read many posts and tried many configurations, but am still having
> > difficulty with my home network. I will try and give all necessary
> > information:
> >
> > 3 desktops, 1 laptop
> > desktops all running XP Home, SP2
> > laptop running XP Pro, SP2
> > linksys wireless router connected to BASEMENT desktop via ethernet cable
> > 2 other desktops(BEDROOM, DEN) using USB wireless adapters
> > laptop using wireless card
> > printers connected to all 3 desktops are set to be shared
> >
> > My problem seems comman - sharing internet access runs smoothly, but

> sharing
> > of printers and files has a roadblock. The laptop can share its files to

> all
> > computers on the network and can print to BEDROOM and DEN printers.

> BEDROOM
> > and DEN pcs can share files to all on the network and can print to each
> > others printers. BASEMENT can print to printers on other 2 pcs. None of

> the
> > computers can access the printers or shared files on the BASEMENT pc.

> Tried
> > turning off Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Worm Protection.

> BASEMENT
> > shows on screen off all other machines in "view workgroup computers" and

> when
> > I try to add printers to laptop or BEDROOM or DEN, the printers connected

> > BASEMENT appear, but access is denied. If I click on one of the BASEMENT
> > printers the logon box pops up for BASEMENT / GUEST asking for a password.
> > Meanwhile, GUEST account is OFF on BASEMENT.
> >
> > What am I missing / doing wrong? Appreciate any guidance.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
To share printers, you have to allow the printer sharing on the computer
that the printer is connect to (look at windows native help for printer
sharing), and then Add a Printer (Control Panel/Printers) as a Network
printer, installing the printer's drivers on each computer that is going to
use it.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"brez717" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, I didn't specify earlier, but File Sharing is on at all machines.
> And
> more important than being able to access the files, is the need to be able
> print to the 2 printers attached to the BASEMENT pc.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Since all your computers are capable to use the Interent your problem is
>> not
>> Wireless Related.
>>
>> Your File Sharing configuration is probably Off.
>>
>> May be this can Help,
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "brez717" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I've read many posts and tried many configurations, but am still having
>> > difficulty with my home network. I will try and give all necessary
>> > information:
>> >
>> > 3 desktops, 1 laptop
>> > desktops all running XP Home, SP2
>> > laptop running XP Pro, SP2
>> > linksys wireless router connected to BASEMENT desktop via ethernet
>> > cable
>> > 2 other desktops(BEDROOM, DEN) using USB wireless adapters
>> > laptop using wireless card
>> > printers connected to all 3 desktops are set to be shared
>> >
>> > My problem seems comman - sharing internet access runs smoothly, but

>> sharing
>> > of printers and files has a roadblock. The laptop can share its files

>> all
>> > computers on the network and can print to BEDROOM and DEN printers.

>> BEDROOM
>> > and DEN pcs can share files to all on the network and can print to each
>> > others printers. BASEMENT can print to printers on other 2 pcs. None
>> > of

>> the
>> > computers can access the printers or shared files on the BASEMENT pc.

>> Tried
>> > turning off Windows Firewall and Norton Internet Worm Protection.

>> BASEMENT
>> > shows on screen off all other machines in "view workgroup computers"
>> > and

>> when
>> > I try to add printers to laptop or BEDROOM or DEN, the printers
>> > connected

>> > BASEMENT appear, but access is denied. If I click on one of the
>> > BASEMENT
>> > printers the logon box pops up for BASEMENT / GUEST asking for a
>> > password.
>> > Meanwhile, GUEST account is OFF on BASEMENT.
>> >
>> > What am I missing / doing wrong? Appreciate any guidance.

=?Utf-8?B?YnJlejcxNw==?=

As I mentioned in my initial post, the printers attached to all pcs are set
to share. I've then tried to add a printer as a Network printer. All of the
printers appear under the network, however, when I click on one of the
printers attached to the BASEMENT machine I get an "access denied" message.
A dialog box pops up asking me to login as a Guest on the BASEMENT machine.