Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Inconsistent 'Use Windows To Configure My Wireless Network Setting

Inconsistent 'Use Windows To Configure My Wireless Network Setting

=?Utf-8?B?cGF0d2Fsc2g=?=

I'm using a PackardBell laptop with Windows XP. Sometimes when I start the
PC, it connects to my wireless router without any problems. However, ~50% of
the time, my PC does not automatically connect to the router. When his
happens, I can fix teh problem by doing the following:

Go to Control Panel
Click On 'Network Connections'
Right click on 'Wireless Network Connection'
Select 'Properties'
Click on 'Wireless Networks' Tab
Tick the 'Use Windows to configure my Wireless Network Settings'

I can now go online.

in the 50% of cases were the pc connects correctly, if I go through the same
procedure as above, the 'Wireless Networks' tab does not appear, only the
'General' and 'Advanced' Tabs?

Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=

You didn't go into all the details of your setup.

Usually, either WZC controls or the installed software for the wireless
card/adaptor controls. When the wireless card software controls, then the WZC
control is disabled.

Sounds like ~50% of the time, the wireless software does not fire up at
bootup, so you have to go to WZC to set it up as new. That's my theory.

I had trouble with the software of Linksys USB adaptor on one PC, working
erratically, so I disabled it, and had WZC take over. But the software and
adaptor worked fine on another PC. And I had the software working OK on yet
another PC.

"patwalsh" wrote:

> I'm using a PackardBell laptop with Windows XP. Sometimes when I start the
> PC, it connects to my wireless router without any problems. However, ~50% of
> the time, my PC does not automatically connect to the router. When his
> happens, I can fix teh problem by doing the following:
>
> Go to Control Panel
> Click On 'Network Connections'
> Right click on 'Wireless Network Connection'
> Select 'Properties'
> Click on 'Wireless Networks' Tab
> Tick the 'Use Windows to configure my Wireless Network Settings'
>
> I can now go online.
>
> in the 50% of cases were the pc connects correctly, if I go through the same
> procedure as above, the 'Wireless Networks' tab does not appear, only the
> 'General' and 'Advanced' Tabs?
>
> Thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Make sure that the original Wireless Utility is not automatically loading at
Startup and competes with Windows Zero Configuration.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"FrankChin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> You didn't go into all the details of your setup.
>
> Usually, either WZC controls or the installed software for the wireless
> card/adaptor controls. When the wireless card software controls, then the
> WZC
> control is disabled.
>
> Sounds like ~50% of the time, the wireless software does not fire up at
> bootup, so you have to go to WZC to set it up as new. That's my theory.
>
> I had trouble with the software of Linksys USB adaptor on one PC, working
> erratically, so I disabled it, and had WZC take over. But the software and
> adaptor worked fine on another PC. And I had the software working OK on
> yet
> another PC.
>

> "patwalsh" wrote:
>
>> I'm using a PackardBell laptop with Windows XP. Sometimes when I start
>> the
>> PC, it connects to my wireless router without any problems. However, ~50%
>> of
>> the time, my PC does not automatically connect to the router. When his
>> happens, I can fix teh problem by doing the following:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel
>> Click On 'Network Connections'
>> Right click on 'Wireless Network Connection'
>> Select 'Properties'
>> Click on 'Wireless Networks' Tab
>> Tick the 'Use Windows to configure my Wireless Network Settings'
>>
>> I can now go online.
>>
>> in the 50% of cases were the pc connects correctly, if I go through the
>> same
>> procedure as above, the 'Wireless Networks' tab does not appear, only the
>> 'General' and 'Advanced' Tabs?
>>
>> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=

Jack:

Seems to me that:

- He got the Wireless utility configured to come up automatically at
startup, WZC disabled.
- The utility either does not come up ~50% of the time, or when it does, is
stuck at "scanning" as in mine.
- When the wireless utiltity does come up, is working, it overrides WZC. He
can't use WZC as it's disabled, by design.
- When it doesn't come up, it doesn't override WZC, he can use WZC, but he
has to connect, since the wireless utility didn't do the connection.

That's the best I can determine based on the described symtoms.

In my case, I fixed it my turning off the wireless utility, and turned on WZC.