Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Adapter which shouldn't be on my computer but is...

Wireless Adapter which shouldn't be on my computer but is...

=?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor

Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
http://www.speedtouch.com

This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
However, there is a folder in C Program Files.

PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse over
it say’s “ Network disable” when I right click on it, I then see
DEFAULT
Radio on/off
Show
Hide (this is greyed out)
Exit

When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows briefly on
the screen but won’t stay long enough to work out what it says.
I have tried to delete from program list as the option there say’s
“Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor”

But if clicked, it then say’s
“Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the computer. Do
you still want to continue?”

I’ve also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there…

I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit this
icon in the task bar.

I don’t know what it’s for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?

When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then this
icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
again…Can anyone help?

..

Regards
Margaret

--
Thank You

Malke

lethal_assignation wrote:

> Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor
>
> Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
> http://www.speedtouch.com
>

> This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
> However, there is a folder in C Program Files.
>
> PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse
> over it say’s “ Network disable” when I right click on it, I then see
> DEFAULT
> Radio on/off
> Show
> Hide (this is greyed out)
> Exit
>
> When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows
> briefly on the screen but won’t stay long enough to work out what it
> says. I have tried to delete from program list as the option there
> say’s “Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor”
>
> But if clicked, it then say’s
> “Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the
> computer. Do you still want to continue?”
>
> I’ve also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there…
>
> I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit
> this icon in the task bar.
>
> I don’t know what it’s for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
>

> When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in
> another mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again
> but then this icon is once again back and stops my network adapter
> from connecting again…Can anyone help?

This sounds like your broadband connection is made with a Thomson Speed
Touch *Router*, and this doesn't refer to a network adapter or possibly
it has to do with a usb device that you plug into the Thomson. It
sounds like you are connected to the router (possibly a combination
modem/router from your Internet Service Provider) by USB. If this is
the case, any questions about the Thomson Speed Touch Router should be
addressed to your ISP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

I use a Netgear modem router which I have made a wireless connection so I can
use this computer and my laptop. inside this comp there is only a nic adapter
so I have used a network adapter which connects no problem. On the laptop,
the network adapter was already installed and is Realtek. So this Thomson one
is on the laptop too and causing the problem as until I right click and exit
it, I can't go online at all. Any other idea's ?
--
Thank You

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 11-Nov-2006, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can anyone help?

Depends on the history of how it got to be installed in the first place.
Is it a s/h computer, did you get a disk from your ISP and it installed it?
With unwanted programs you can sometimes use a good uninstaller to reinstall the
program on top of the unwanted install, and then use the uninstallers record of
changes to remove it.
More risky unless you know what you are doing is to work through the registry finding
relevent keys and deleting them, may wreck your system, a backup is advisable before
you try this.
Use a registry access monitor to monitor what the program is doing, usually gives
clues as to how to kill it.
Moral don't install stuff except through a good uninstaller so you can surgically and
cleanly uninstall it.

=?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

I started broadband with aol recently but used a wired connection and then
only a few days ago got my xmas present early. My new laptop...so changed the
setting on the router to Wireless. The laptop was fully installed when I
turned it on so can't tell you how this got on it. I'd be afraid to go into
the registy like you said, I'd end up with nothing working knowing my luck.
Again I'll say, when I exit this icon from the task bar next to the clock my
netword adapter then works ok an i get connected but not until I exit this
thing. It seems to be set as Default
--
Thank You

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> On 11-Nov-2006, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help?

> Depends on the history of how it got to be installed in the first place.
> Is it a s/h computer, did you get a disk from your ISP and it installed it?
> With unwanted programs you can sometimes use a good uninstaller to reinstall the
> program on top of the unwanted install, and then use the uninstallers record of
> changes to remove it.
> More risky unless you know what you are doing is to work through the registry finding
> relevent keys and deleting them, may wreck your system, a backup is advisable before
> you try this.
> Use a registry access monitor to monitor what the program is doing, usually gives
> clues as to how to kill it.
> Moral don't install stuff except through a good uninstaller so you can surgically and
> cleanly uninstall it.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

There might be some conflict between Windows Zero configuration and the
original software.

Try to Switch off WZC ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ) and Uninstall.
Reinstall the Card's drivers.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"lethal_assignation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor
>
> Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
> http://www.speedtouch.com
>

> This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
> However, there is a folder in C Program Files.
>
> PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse
> over
> it say's " Network disable" when I right click on it, I then see
> DEFAULT
> Radio on/off
> Show
> Hide (this is greyed out)
> Exit
>
> When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows briefly
> on
> the screen but won't stay long enough to work out what it says.
> I have tried to delete from program list as the option there say's
> "Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor"
>
> But if clicked, it then say's
> "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the computer.
> Do
> you still want to continue?"
>
> I've also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there.
>
> I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit this
> icon in the task bar.
>
> I don't know what it's for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
>

> When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
> mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then
> this
> icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
> again.Can anyone help?
>
> .
>
> Regards
> Margaret
>
> --
> Thank You

=?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

Hi Jack, I don't want this connection run by this unknown adapter thing and I
don't have no disc to reinstall either except one which says "Notebook
Supporting Utility"The only other disc that came included are Cd+Dvd Maker
and Works 8.5 which I still have not installed. I would prefer like you said
the window zero config to set up my connection and will try your link. I only
hope I don't mess up the connection I have now with the network adapter which
I believe should connect me.
--
Thank You

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
>
> There might be some conflict between Windows Zero configuration and the
> original software.
>
> Try to Switch off WZC ( http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html ) and Uninstall.
> Reinstall the Card's drivers.
>
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "lethal_assignation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor
> >
> > Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
> > http://www.speedtouch.com
> >

> > This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
> > However, there is a folder in C Program Files.
> >
> > PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse
> > over
> > it say's " Network disable" when I right click on it, I then see
> > DEFAULT
> > Radio on/off
> > Show
> > Hide (this is greyed out)
> > Exit
> >
> > When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows briefly
> > on
> > the screen but won't stay long enough to work out what it says.
> > I have tried to delete from program list as the option there say's
> > "Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor"
> >
> > But if clicked, it then say's
> > "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the computer.
> > Do
> > you still want to continue?"
> >
> > I've also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there.
> >
> > I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit this
> > icon in the task bar.
> >
> > I don't know what it's for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
> >

> > When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
> > mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then
> > this
> > icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
> > again.Can anyone help?
> >
> > .
> >
> > Regards
> > Margaret
> >
> > --
> > Thank You

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I agree with your conclusions.
However, some of the Wireless clients might not be compatible with WZC.
The nice thing about WZC is that it is part of Windows and that it can be
easily enable disabled. So you can disable it make sure that every thing
works OK and try again to enable.
This page has software, and users guide for your Wireless card,
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm
Disable WZC and give it a try.Might be that upgrading Drivers etc. might
help.
> [...]

>> > "Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor"
>> >
>> > But if clicked, it then say's
>> > "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the
>> > computer.
>> > Do
>> > you still want to continue?"
>> >
>> > I've also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there.
>> >
>> > I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit
>> > this
>> > icon in the task bar.
>> >
>> > I don't know what it's for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
>> >

>> > When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in
>> > another
>> > mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then
>> > this
>> > icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting

David Hettel

Ok I've never used one of these.... Here is my take. But if clicked, it then
say's "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the
computer. Do you still want to continue?" This is normal and means if you
un-install it you will be removing it for all users of the computer, and I
believe that's what you want, so click ok, or yes. It should then
un-install, and you'll need to reboot your computer once it finishes
uninstalling.

When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then this
icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
again.Can anyone help? By unchecking it in msconfig you've not loaded part
of the drivers, and part of the program is still being loaded by the
registry or somewhere else in your computer.

When you un-install this program in theory all that should happen is the
icon will no longer be in the task bar. In reality you may need to reinstall
the drivers for the Wi-Fi card you are now using. I suggest that you check |
Right click My Computer, click properties | click System Restore (tab) | and
be sure "Turn off System Restore on all drives" is NOT checked. Then go to
Help and Support Center and click "undo changes to your computer with System
Restore" Click on "Create a restore point" | Next | give it a name, say
"before removal" then Create, Close.

Then uninstall the program.

Good luck!

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"lethal_assignation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thomson SpeedTouch : SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor
>
> Info : Thomson 1.1.1.10
> http://www.speedtouch.com
>

> This is not included in Device Manager under Network Adapters.
> However, there is a folder in C Program Files.
>
> PROBLEM : There is an icon in the task bar which when I hold the mouse
> over
> it say's " Network disable" when I right click on it, I then see
> DEFAULT
> Radio on/off
> Show
> Hide (this is greyed out)
> Exit
>
> When I click to open and maybe change the setting, the box shows briefly
> on
> the screen but won't stay long enough to work out what it says.
> I have tried to delete from program list as the option there say's
> "Uninstall SpeedTouch 121g Wireless USB Monitor"
>
> But if clicked, it then say's
> "Modifying this folder will affect all users who log on to the computer.
> Do
> you still want to continue?"
>
> I've also tried to uninstall from Add/Remove but it is still there.
>
> I am unable to connect to the Internet until I right click and exit this
> icon in the task bar.
>
> I don't know what it's for or how to get rid of it. Can any-one help?
>

> When I uncheck this item in msconfig, my computer then starts in another
> mode and tells me to click general tab to start normally again but then
> this
> icon is once again back and stops my network adapter from connecting
> again.Can anyone help?
>
> .
>
> Regards
> Margaret
>
> --
> Thank You

=?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

Hi Guys
I don't know if it's because I've been at this thing since I woke up this
morning but I've had it...my brain just isn't taking anything in anymore. I
looked at the site you gave me and it is exactly what I have on the laptop,
right down to the diagrams and icons but even doing as they suggest to
uninstall isn't working... So tomorrow I'm going back to the store and see if
they can help any. Is it possible that when the comp was in manufacture they
used this type of adapter to check it out and it wasn't uninstalled properly
before going to sales? And I am left with the configuration that was used
then over-riding the configuration I am trying to get set up now. I did as
advised earlier and went to either msconfig or services.msc, been all over
today, and changed the wcz thingy to automatic I also saw this adapter is
programmed to start with windows and tried changing that too but that left me
in a different start up mode which at this moment in time I'm afraid I don't
know nothing about and thought it wise to leave things as they are. I'd
really like to thank you all for trying to help but I'm too scared to try
some of the instructions given here as they are to advanced for me. Maybe in
the near future I'll give them a go. Wouldn't do for me to mess my xmas
pressie up before the big day now would it.....
--
Thank You